Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL players will NOT play in 2018 Winter Olympics

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: NHL players will NOT play in 2018 Winter Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    now I have absolutely zero reason to give a shit about the winter olympics...
    That's pretty short-sighted. The hockey in the Winter Olympics is about the last thing I'm concerned with (with the possible exception of ice dancing). I'm more interested in watching curling than hockey in the Olympics.

Seriously, I watch elite-level hockey from October until June year-in, year-out, so hockey in the Olympics isn't exactly a stop-down for me. It's almost like watching an All-Star Game. Same with basketball in the Summer Games. If anything, it's a distraction.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    That's pretty short-sighted. The hockey in the Winter Olympics is about the last thing I'm concerned with (with the possible exception of ice dancing). I'm more interested in watching curling than hockey in the Olympics.

Seriously, I watch elite-level hockey from October until June year-in, year-out, so hockey in the Olympics isn't exactly a stop-down for me. Same with basketball in the Summer Games. If anything, it's a distraction.
    I just don't get up for winter events like I do the summer events (track, swim, etc). Everyone cares about guys like Bolts, Phelps and the up and comers challenging them for the throne. The world vs US in swimming, etc. The rivalries and storylines are great.

The appeal and storylines just aren't there for winter... curling, bob sledding, ice dancing... who really cares about that stuff?

Dobber Sports Titan

I just don't get up for winter events like I do the summer events (track, swim, etc). Everyone cares about guys like Bolts, Phelps and the up and comers challenging them for the throne. The world vs US in swimming, etc. The rivalries and storylines are great.

The appeal and storylines just aren't there for winter... curling, bob sledding, ice dancing... who really cares about that stuff?
    I like the skiing/snowboarding of winter olympics. Any "extreme sport" is so much fun to watch. Like mountain biking, kayaking, skateboarding and all that thats coming up in the summers.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don't really get how people can compare the Stanley cup finals to Olympic Hockey... for me personally, I always got WAY more excited for Olympic Tourneys... they're once every FOUR years and it's country vs country to decide best in the world. We get the international rivalries, storylines, and see different international players that we don't usually see. Canada vs. the World has always been exciting for me. Ditto Canada vs US/Russia. There's also the larger ice which allows more skill to come through. You also get to see NHL players putting aside their traditional team bonds and playing with entirely different players on teams that they would be rivals with on a regular basis... it's freaking awesome. Entirely different dynamic than NHL playoffs.

Stanley Cup playoffs get boring for me after the first two rounds personally, especially if I have no vested interest in the final four which is almost always the case.

Dobber Sports Titan

Yeah I do enjoy the skiing/snowboarding. That's probably it for me when it comes to Winter.

I don't really get how people can compare the Stanley cup finals to Olympic Hockey... for me personally, I always got WAY more excited for Olympic Tourneys... they're once every FOUR years and it's country vs country to decide best in the world. We get the rivalries, storylines, and see different international players that we don't usually see. Canada vs. the World has always been exciting for me. Ditto Canada vs US/Russia. It's an entirely different dynamic.

Stanley Cup playoffs get boring for me after the first two rounds personally, especially if I have no vested interest in the final four which is almost always the case.
    If the Stanley cup playoffs were a round robin, then single game knock out it would be more intense than the Olympics. That's what makes the Olympic Hockey better. The story lines of Crosby+McDavid or Ovi Vs Crosby, or Canada vs USA is really cool, but it's the possibility of a Latvia taking out Canada from a stellar performance from a player.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    If the Stanley cup playoffs were a round robin, then single game knock out it would be more intense than the Olympics. That's what makes the Olympic Hockey better. The story lines of Crosby+McDavid or Ovi Vs Crosby, or Canada vs USA is really cool, but it's the possibility of a Latvia taking out Canada from a stellar performance from a player.
    Yes that too... single game elimination makes for way more excitement.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Clearly a whole s-load of people, or NBC wouldn't be paying what they do for the broadcast rights. lol

I think you left out all the alpine events and skating, which is pretty much akin to disregarding track & field and gymnastics in reference to the Summer Games.

If you don't go in for the Olympics, ok, I get it. But it's not some marginal event that's going to sink beneath the waves without NHLers.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    Clearly a whole s-load of people, or NBC wouldn't be paying what they do for the broadcast rights. lol

I think you left out all the alpine events and skating, which is pretty much akin to disregarding track & field and gymnastics in reference to the Summer Games.

If you don't go in for the Olympics, ok, I get it. But it's not some marginal event that's going to sink beneath the waves without NHLers.
    Fair enough, but I bet if you compare ratings and worldwide fanfare, Summer Olympics probably dwarfs the Winter Olympics.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Bettman just does what the owners want him to do. He is the whipping boy but no one seems to get that.

The owners love Bettman.
    Oh I get it. I don't like it. $7m-yr to be a yes-man.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Only $7M a year?

Bettman earned $9.6 million USD in compensation during the 2013-14 season, according to regulatory U.S. tax filings made by the NHL

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Anyone listen to Hockey Central at noon?

They think that their is still a chance that NHL players participate in the Olympics....

The Great One

Of course there is still a chance.

I'll bet some players pay their own expenses plus insurance.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Of course there is still a chance.

I'll bet some players pay their own expenses plus insurance.
    I think what they meant was along the lines that the IOC offers a pretty package for the NHL to change their mind.

Dobber Sports Jedi

If they don't actually go... could this be our #1 tender??? http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=73463
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    South Korea is 13hrs ahead or something like that. Games usually run 1pm-7pm local time, so it'll be 12am-6am start times. Not like I'm going to be up watching those often. So if it's to happen at any Olympics, I'm glad it's these ones.

We'll huff and puff and stomp our feet as fans, but in reality we won't be generating a lot of revenue at these games, the biggest hurt is just promoting the NHL in Asia who are getting their own teams and fans. But this could be a blessing as they won't have some of the best players in the world playing, so juggernaut teams won't be destroying some under-talented countries.

I honestly don't care if this happens or not. Some hockey games will be running in Feb that will distract us all next yr.
    Do you work for the NHL or own a team? Why do you care about that? You're a fan (I suppose) of hockey. Are you not interested in watching the best players in the world play against each other for something that matters to them (Unlike the World Cup)?
    twitter: @hugotwigg