Thread: Impact of new NHL schedule

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Impact of new NHL schedule

With the new NHL schedule, that is, teams playing less games within their own division, how do you think this will impact strong divisions like the pacific and weak divisions like the southeast?

For example, Florida played 33 divisional games last year and have 24 divisional games this year. That\'s potentially 9 less \"easy\" games.

I think the same could be said the other way around for the pacific division where they potentially have less \"hard\" games within their own division.

Do you think this could make teams like Florida worse than they look on paper and perhaps Phoenix better than they look on paper because of their schedules?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

You could go either way on this one. When two divisional teams play each other, it is pretty much a must win, bot teams realize this is a huge 4 point game and they do everything they can to win.

I really don\'t think this new schedule will change the standings much at all. Maybe Detroit will get more wins because they don\'t have to play CHICAGO as much, HAHA.

I like the new schedule, it makes the division games that much more INTERESTING.
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Banned

its hard to say, logic seems to suggest that it would work like you say, crappy teams in weak divisions not doing as well, good teams in good divisions doing better but there are a couple other factors to consider as well:

1)more travel time, potentially longer travel times too makes for less well rested teams
    2)teams won\'t be able to gameplan as well for out of conference opponents since they have less experience with them, sometimes crappy teams might steal a game at home by catching their opponent\'s off guard

Dobber Sports Novice

Excellent points mcgoo.

In fact, I specifically recall Ron Wilson saying it\'s much easier to coach in the Eastern Conference because of less travel.