Thread: Doughty, Berglund or Filatov for a keeper league

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Doughty, Berglund or Filatov for a keeper league

Which one should I draft? Points only.
    Young D-men are so risky.....but positionally, he may have the highest upside of the three...

Banned

filatov, not this year but next, watch out!

Dobber Sports Rookie

I\'m in exactly the same boat right now, and I\'m having a hell of a time choosing between them.

Doughty has franchise cornerstone approaching generational upside, and might be the most likely of the three to actually reach his potential, but it\'s going to take at least 3-4 years, and it\'s a good bet he goes back to junior this year.

Berglund looks like Mats Sundin Jr., and while he should get Top 6 minutes right away starting this year, I don\'t see him putting up more than 60-70 points for several years with St. Louis being so terrible. I think his ceiling is likely 80-90 points, if he ever gets there.

Of the three, Filatov seems to be the highest risk, but also comes with the highest reward. The fractured leg hasn\'t helped his chances of making the team coming out of camp, and I\'m not crazy about his size, but I think this guy could be a potential superstar - 80-90 points per season sooner rather than later, and 100 point or more potential. I\'ve been stalling on making my pick until he skates with the team on Thursday and hopefully plays on Friday night, not that 2-days of evaluation is going to make that much difference.

I wonder what Dobber and his crew think?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I like Filatov to tear the league up starting next season. He\'ll be chomping(or is it champing?) at the bit to get started next season.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

1) Will you be able to use Berglund in a playing roll this year?

2) How long are you able to keep these players? When do you lose their keeper eligibility?

If the answer to 1 is yes.....then take Berglund.....he\'s going to produce for you this year, and has the least risk attached to him, when it comes to reaching their potential.

Filitov obviously has the most upside.....but let\'s not forget he\'s coming into the league for a very defensive minded team, so his offense could be limited at first......he could turn into the next Datsyuk....but he could also be the next Pavel Brendl...

I think the safest choice is Berglund.......and given the difference between him and Filatov on their upside is only 10-20 points per year MAX.....I think you take the safer bet.
    12 Team Roto $ League
    **G, A, PIM, PPP, SOG, **

C- Stamkos, Backstrom
    RW - Gaborik, Vrbata
    LW - Parise, Sharp
    D - Karlsson, Oliver-Ekman Larsson, Edler, Gudas
    Util - Landeskog

B- Ott, Burrows, Timmonen

Dobber Sports Rookie

Antrocop,

Are you some kind of Fantasy Agent or something for Berglund?

How is he doing in camp? Who is he looking to line up with if he makes the team out of camp? How bad is St. Louis going to be this year? And next? I don\'t really see the Blues filling the net any more than Columbus. Really, I have the same questions about all of these prospects. Trying to find accurate and up-to-date information about these guys is like panning for gold.

I\'m getting caught up in HF\'s rankings a bit more than I\'d like to, but they don\'t even rank Berglund in the Top 20 prospects in their somewhat dated rankings. He rates as a respectable 8.0B.

Filatov and Doughty are not yet in HF\'s prospect rankings, but they are graded respectively at 8.5C (Filatov) and 9.0C (Doughty). By comparison, Carey Price is also a 9.0C, and Stamkos, Turris, and Erik Johnson (before the bonehead injury of the year, if not the decade) are all rated at 9.0B.

FYI - HF rates prospects on a scale of 1-10, with the letter grades A-D representing the likelihood of a player reaching his potential.

The equally dated Hockey News Top 50 has Berglund at #5 - right between Voracek at #4 and Brassard at #6, and ahead of the likes of Ryan (#7) and Okposo (#8). Of course THN\'s rankings were pre-draft, so where Stamkos, Doughty, Filatov, etc. might fit into their rankings is anybody\'s guess. To further confuse things for me, THN ranks van Riemsdyk #3, and he is still available in my league, as is Jonathan Bernier (#10).

I like the way McKeen\'s separates their Top 30 Calder Candidates from their Top Prospects list - as this is an important distinction. That said, their rankings tend to be very hit and miss - I\'m never certain what they are smoking. The McKeen\'s Top 10 Calder Candidates are as follows: 1-Stamkos; 2-Giroux; 3-Boedker; 4-Voracek; 5-Brassard; 6-Matthias; 7-Pavelec; 8-Okposo; 8-Ryan; 10-Doughty. Berglund is #12 on this list. Filatov is not even on it. The McKeen\'s Top 10 Prospects are as follows: 1-Stamkos; 2-Bogosian; 3-Pietrangelo; 4-Turris; 5-Voracek; 6-Doughty; 7-Schenn; 8-Boedker; 9-Filatov; 10-Van Riemsdyk.

I know Dobber wants to sell his prospect rankings, so I won\'t give too much away in this post, but suffice it to say that for as much love as he and Bugg have been giving to Filatov, Berglund is still ranked higher than Filatov on Dobber\'s list (although Bugg has Filatov second only to Stamkos).

There is not much consensus among the various lists, and I\'m starting to think that nobody knows anything. In the course of writing this post, I\'ve gone from scratching my ahead about Doughty vs. Berglund vs. Filatov to now scratching my head about Doughty vs. Berglund vs. Filatov vs. Van Riemsdyk vs. Brassard vs. Bernier.

I think my head might explode.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Gooilers wrote:

By comparison, Carey Price is also a 9.0C, and Stamkos, Turris, and Erik Johnson (before the bonehead injury of the year, if not the decade) are all rated at 9.0B.
    Since when is attending a team function and having an accident, bonehead injury of the year?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

There\'s no point in drafting Doughty unless you are in the very last rounds of your draft..... There are so many average dmen (which he will be AT BEST stats-wise for his first few seasons) in the league to choose from so you shouldn\'t overrate...

I\'d be really surprised if Doughty is able to hit 40 pts 3-4 years from now, whereas Filatov has the potential to be an immediate star regardless of whether he breaks into the nhl this year or next, while Berglund also has a really high upside.
    9 team keeper league - p, pp, +/-, wins, shutouts
    (*)Keep 6 F, 2 D, 1 G each year plus anyone (^)24 and under

F: Malkin^, Thornton*, E. Staal^, Zetterberg*, Backstrom^, Kopitar^, Morrow*, B. Richards*, Huselius*, Jus. Williams*, Cheechoo, Filatov^
    D: Gonchar*, Phaneuf*, Ryan Whitney, Erik Karlsson^
    G: Backstrom* and Khabibulin
    Bench: Varlamov^, Wolski^, Stafford, Grabovski, T. Ruutu, Coburn^,

Dobber Sports Padawan

bluesummers wrote:
    There\'s no point in drafting Doughty unless you are in the very last rounds of your draft..... There are so many average dmen (which he will be AT BEST stats-wise for his first few seasons) in the league to choose from so you shouldn\'t overrate...

I\'d be really surprised if Doughty is able to hit 40 pts 3-4 years from now, whereas Filatov has the potential to be an immediate star regardless of whether he breaks into the nhl this year or next, while Berglund also has a really high upside.
    I think this sums it up very well. Filatov is so good that it looks like he will make the Jackets this season. I think I have Berglund just below him. Doughty could be great but it\'s going to take some time and I think it\'s always safer to grab a stud winger.

The Great One

Gooilers wrote:
    Antrocop,

Are you some kind of Fantasy Agent or something for Berglund?

How is he doing in camp? Who is he looking to line up with if he makes the team out of camp? How bad is St. Louis going to be this year? And next? I don\'t really see the Blues filling the net any more than Columbus. Really, I have the same questions about all of these prospects. Trying to find accurate and up-to-date information about these guys is like panning for gold.

I\'m getting caught up in HF\'s rankings a bit more than I\'d like to, but they don\'t even rank Berglund in the Top 20 prospects in their somewhat dated rankings. He rates as a respectable 8.0B.

Filatov and Doughty are not yet in HF\'s prospect rankings, but they are graded respectively at 8.5C (Filatov) and 9.0C (Doughty). By comparison, Carey Price is also a 9.0C, and Stamkos, Turris, and Erik Johnson (before the bonehead injury of the year, if not the decade) are all rated at 9.0B.

FYI - HF rates prospects on a scale of 1-10, with the letter grades A-D representing the likelihood of a player reaching his potential.

The equally dated Hockey News Top 50 has Berglund at #5 - right between Voracek at #4 and Brassard at #6, and ahead of the likes of Ryan (#7) and Okposo (#8). Of course THN\'s rankings were pre-draft, so where Stamkos, Doughty, Filatov, etc. might fit into their rankings is anybody\'s guess. To further confuse things for me, THN ranks van Riemsdyk #3, and he is still available in my league, as is Jonathan Bernier (#10).

I like the way McKeen\'s separates their Top 30 Calder Candidates from their Top Prospects list - as this is an important distinction. That said, their rankings tend to be very hit and miss - I\'m never certain what they are smoking. The McKeen\'s Top 10 Calder Candidates are as follows: 1-Stamkos; 2-Giroux; 3-Boedker; 4-Voracek; 5-Brassard; 6-Matthias; 7-Pavelec; 8-Okposo; 8-Ryan; 10-Doughty. Berglund is #12 on this list. Filatov is not even on it. The McKeen\'s Top 10 Prospects are as follows: 1-Stamkos; 2-Bogosian; 3-Pietrangelo; 4-Turris; 5-Voracek; 6-Doughty; 7-Schenn; 8-Boedker; 9-Filatov; 10-Van Riemsdyk.

I know Dobber wants to sell his prospect rankings, so I won\'t give too much away in this post, but suffice it to say that for as much love as he and Bugg have been giving to Filatov, Berglund is still ranked higher than Filatov on Dobber\'s list (although Bugg has Filatov second only to Stamkos).

There is not much consensus among the various lists, and I\'m starting to think that nobody knows anything. In the course of writing this post, I\'ve gone from scratching my ahead about Doughty vs. Berglund vs. Filatov to now scratching my head about Doughty vs. Berglund vs. Filatov vs. Van Riemsdyk vs. Brassard vs. Bernier.

I think my head might explode.
    HF rankings are:

A- Pretty f*%$in whacked to begin with
    &
    B- Slanted in terms of a players value to their actual team in the real nhl.

I see you pre-empted that statement with the thought that you\'re putting too much stock into hf evaluations than youd like. Thats good. It shows you still have some degree of sanity- lol!

Onto Berglund. Not sure about camp yet. I know he destroyed the Traverse city tournament for the second year in a row. I know he added 15 pounds of muscle in the off-season and moved to st. louis on his own dime- shows a heck of a lot of commitment for a young guy. Also there was a very telling interview on thn.com where he stated that when they were down he and Oshie decided to \"f\' shit up before the next game and then proceeded to do so for the rest of the tournament. His emergence has led to speculation that Oshie would move to the wing making early Toews/Kane comparisons very tasty morseld for owners to chew on in the pre season.

If you want more Berglund hype seek out the one they call ben10...

Dobber Sports Rookie

\"Since when is attending a team function and having an accident, bonehead injury of the year?\"

Umm...since when you tear your ACL - jeopardizing potentially your multimillion dollar career - by getting your foot stuck in the pedals of a golf cart (allegedly).

C\'mon.

Wow.