Thread: Goalie strategy?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Goalie strategy?

Hey guys,

I am curious, what do you find to be the best goalie strategy in the league in my sig or similar? I'm wondering if there differing opinions on how to approach the goaltending aspect.

I feel with 8 of 12 categories being player based, I can carry two quality starters and be fine. So Crawford and Talbot have been a solid duo for me. A couple guys are rolling with four or three legit starters and it seems like overkill, with a loss on the player side of things. I also like having an "open" spot on my roster for a goalie spot start or flavor of the week as it seems to work well. What do you guys think? Do I pick up the available Elliot, Miller, Vasilevskiy? Or keep rolling with two solid goalies and keep my options open more?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Goalie strategy?

I think that your strategy is fine, but, personally, I prefer three goalies. It gives some protection against injury (although the backups should be available as FAs).

- - - Updated - - -

I think that your strategy is fine, but, personally, I prefer three goalies. It gives some protection against injury (although the backups should be available as FAs).

Dobber Sports Titan

10 team league with only 4 goalie stats out of 12, I would want exactly what you have. Two solid starters and that's it.

- - - Updated - - -

10 team league with only 4 goalie stats out of 12, I would want exactly what you have. Two solid starters and that's it.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Agree with the concensus... gets a little hairy if a guy goes down and you may struggle against those carrying 3/4 for volume but I think it's the big picture you need to worry about. If my skaters are loaded then I think two goalies are right as your bound to land 4-5 skater categories then but if my skaters are struggling locking up the four goalie categories could be huge especially as GWG and +/- can be a crap shot
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for the input guys! It's appreciated. We changed our league's settings a bit this year, so it's nice to get some feedback.

Dobber Sports Pro

Your strategy is good, but if you see a hot goalie, it makes sense to carry three. If one of your goalies gets hurt or has some bad starts, it is nice to have a backup. I rode Rask and Crawford early, but S they slowed down I picked up Greiss who has carried my goalies the last month. This week, the team I am playing was rolling off wins, so I picked up Lehner and right now lead by one win going into today.

in short your strategy is fine, but be flexible

- - - Updated - - -

Your strategy is good, but if you see a hot goalie, it makes sense to carry three. If one of your goalies gets hurt or has some bad starts, it is nice to have a backup. I rode Rask and Crawford early, but S they slowed down I picked up Greiss who has carried my goalies the last month. This week, the team I am playing was rolling off wins, so I picked up Lehner and right now lead by one win going into today.

in short your strategy is fine, but be flexible
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Ten team league, four cats, Is run three

Larger league, I'd run two

Fewer G cats, run backups and hope