Thread: Jonathan Dahlen or Rasmus Asplund? better prospect

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Jonathan Dahlen or Rasmus Asplund? better prospect

who is the better prospect pts only

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Jonathan Dahlen or Rasmus Asplund? better prospect

Way too early to truly know the answer to this question.

Neither were early draft picks so theres plenty of question marks around both assuming either of them even have a NHL career.

- - - Updated - - -

Way too early to truly know the answer to this question.

Neither were early draft picks so theres plenty of question marks around both assuming either of them even have a NHL career.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Acquire either and cross your fingers.

The Great One

I'll say Dahlen cause Ottawa has a better draft history than Buffalo.

Dobber Sports Stud

when dealing with prospects with very similar upside, i like to look at their team's depth chart. i'd give the edge to asplund. ottawa's got several very good forward prospects in the pipeline ahead of dahlen, while asplund is one of the best sabres prospects, and looking at their team now, he'll have a very good shot at being their number 2 center one day.

The Great One

I agree with Forsbergfan that this isn't really an answer in a vaccum due to the fact they are prospects with little evidence as to what they can do in the NHL (and by little I mean no evidence lol) so in that situation I look at opportunity and he sums it up nicely... Though I don't think you can go wrong with tossing a coin either lol
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I got them both in a salary cap league. 24 team, 4c 4 lw 4 rw 6 d 1 g (35 player max w/ game maximum)

Salary cap isn't my strongest game and my team is on the weak side but those were the two best prospects that i could find

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    when dealing with prospects with very similar upside, i like to look at their team's depth chart. i'd give the edge to asplund. ottawa's got several very good forward prospects in the pipeline ahead of dahlen, while asplund is one of the best sabres prospects, and looking at their team now, he'll have a very good shot at being their number 2 center one day.
    Dahlen is their best winger prospect - White and Brown are better, but are centres. White could play wing though, but I think they'll keep him at C.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Sheik View Post
    Dahlen is their best winger prospect - White and Brown are better, but are centres. White could play wing though, but I think they'll keep him at C.
    Think Chlapik moves to the wing too, Ev? What are your thoughts on him?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Sheik View Post
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Stud

francis perron is no worse than dahlen, and is gonna be in the nhl first. the senators top 6 is gonna be really crowded when all their top prospects make it to the nhl. the sabres top 6 is wide open.

The Great One

francis perron is no worse than dahlen, and is gonna be in the nhl first. the senators top 6 is gonna be really crowded when all their top prospects make it to the nhl. the sabres top 6 is wide open.
    I use to base some of my fantasy drafting on opportunity but I've gotten away from that in my more recent years.

Skill always prevail.

If he's a good enough prospect they should find their way in favourable scenarios.

Plus, so much can happen in 2-3 years that's it's crapshoot any way you look at it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVibe View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah he could probably play wing eventually, but I don't really have a strong opinion on him right now. He definitely stepped up this year to earn a contract and he looks like a great playmaker, but there are questions about his skating right no which he has improved. I am not sure what to think right now but I don't see him getting a chance soon.

I disagree personally, Dahlen is a clear step above for me and will be in the NHL sooner (and better probability to stick). He is extremely skilled and playing very well as a rookie in Sweden's second league. Nothing against Perron, but he will take a long time to develop like Hoffman did, if he ever reaches that sort of level. He also hasn't had a great start in the AHL, even though nobody really scores on that team aside from two vets. Swedes often don't need a lot of AHL time if they are legit NHL prospects.

Dahlen right now is the clear #3 prospect in the Sens system IMO and could be ranked higher than Brown in a couple of years depending on how they play out.

Dobber Sports Wizard

They're both the same age, both drafted in the 2nd round last summer... Both have good numbers playing against men this season, although Asplund plays at the highest level while Dahlen plays at the 2nd highest level. Dahlen was more visible at the WJC but Asplund definitely wasn't bad there either.

Dahlen is more of a goal-scorer while Asplund is more of a two-way playmaker, so I would probably take Dahlen based on that alone. The difference between them is marginal at best. Asplund might actually make the NHL sooner because he's already on his 3rd season in the SHL. He can probably play on the bottom-6 next season already.