Thread: Russell/Letang - your preferance?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Russell/Letang - your preferance?

Mr. Russell must love the attention that he is getting. In another thread, wimpy darts, mentioned that he would rather own Letang than Russell. So for purposes of discussion, let\'s disregard that Letang will be in Pittsburgh, or if you insist, consider that Russell is in Pittsburgh rather than CBJ? Which of these two guys would you rather own based on what they bring to the table?

I will go with Russell. Russell has had to learn to survive in a physical league. He plays with an edge and does not back down. If he was in Pittsburgh, he would be taking over for Gonchar on the pp.

Your thoughts?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re:Russell/Letang - your preferance?

Disregarding team I would probably go with Russell too. But until Russell gets traded to Pittsburgh or Letang to Columbus, I\'d go with Letang.

The Airborne Attack
    (GFHL - 14 Team Keeper League 2016 Champions)

F: McDavid, Laine, Monahan, Simmonds, van Riemsdyk, Granlund, Schwartz, Kreider, Oshie, Trochek, Bjugstad
    D: Ekman Larsson, Carlson, Ristolainen, Parayko, Skjei, Ekblad, McNabb
    G: Price, Rinne, Halak, Montoya

Farm: Dvorak, Kaprizov, Ritchie, Rattie, Chabot, Carrick, Johns, Hutton, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Tough one here. I know that Russell got plenty of offensive potential but Letang too. Letang was very impressive in Q playoffs 12 goals, 19 assists for 31 points in only 19 games and finished + 11 with 48 PIM. I\'ll go with Letang in Pittsburgh and even more if he was in Colombus this year because of is ice time. (only short term perspective because Pittsburgh is the place to be)

Post edited by: TommyB, at: 2007/08/11 12:14

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I totally agree with elevatemysoul..

But I am going to have to go with hkylifer on this one. I like the kid. He seems like he has the drive and determination, and thats what you need. Thats why I like players like Brule and even Little, they refuse to go away. They are small but have sooo much heart.

But it is true if Russell was a PITTS draft pick he would be drafted in 99% of keeper leagues already..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Stud

It\'s probably clear from previous threads that I\'m drinking the kool aid when it comes to Russell. But I would take Letang without a moment\'s hesitation. The kid\'s all offense, he\'s the right handed shot Pittsburgh so desperately needs.

And yes, the key word is certainly Pittsburgh... but while Russell plays with more heart, Letang\'s the more offensively gifted player anyway.
    T.G.

I...am your father.

Letang.

Captain of Team Canada for gawd\'s sake! All offense. All leadership.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Dobber wrote:
    Letang.

Captain of Team Canada for gawd\'s sake! All offense. All leadership.
    thank you.
    and since when do fantasy poolies pick players THEY feel is better all round over one that will simply get more pts b/c of the linemates?

this is why in the other thread, the guy picked letang.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I\'m going to have to go with russel...there\'s no denying that letang has huge upside...because he is going to pittsburgh, he will put up massive totals....but I\'m leary of high point totals coming out of the q and translating to the nhl....I question whether he would be singlehandedly as much of a force on another team as he will combined with all the talent in pittsburgh....the whl is a more defensive league and russel still did incredibly well...especially in the goal department...so if nothing else, I show that I prefer players from out west simply because of the track record of high end d men coming from here....so, I pick russel!

Della Madonna

Hello,

Letang all the way for is offensive skill with solid two-way play. He will have allot on ice time eventually. Even if Russel was playing in PIT i would still go for letang

This is my opinion

thanks

MDM

Dobber Sports Stud

Hello Dobbermaniac and Dobber \'et al\'

Dobbermaniac: I appreciate what you are saying as it relates to consideration of the team that a player is on. I agree with you. My reason for posting this thread, in this manner, was to see how poolsters felt about the player, regardless of the team. It was apparent that the cast in Pittsburgh would make Letang more valuable to own. There had been a lot of discussion/comparison of Russell with others...Murphy/Barker. I just thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thought, compared to Letang.

I, in no way, was being critical of wimpy darts.

Dobber: Your comments regarding Letang. \'All offence. All leadership\'.
    I agree and will suggest that the same attributes apply to Russell.

Russell - Captain of Medicine Hat Tigers in 2006/2007, Led the Medicine Hat Tigers in scoring in 2006/2007. WHL 1st Team All-Star, WHL Player of the Year in 2006/2007, won the Bill Hunter Memorial Trophy for WHL Defenceman of the Year in 2006/2007.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

This is a really tough call, but based on what I\'ve seen so far, and ignoring what teams have drafted them, I\'d say this about them. The one I\'d rather see suit up for my favourite team is Russell, but I\'d rather have Letang on my fantasy squad.

It\'s close on both counts though.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I have to go with Letang here. He\'s played a higher level with greater consistency. I\'d be leery of Russell if he was on any other team but the Jackets, because they so desperately need what he can bring- and he\'ll get chances he wouldn\'t have got elsewhere.