Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Laine helped off after massive hit

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Laine helped off after massive hit

I dont get that vibe from this thread.. Most think the hit was clean. Its either the pass or the "jumping" of McCabe that is being questioned

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Star

When I clicked on this thread I really didn't expect to see people suggesting these types of hits should be somehow taken out of the game. Good lord, it's either a contact sport or it isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

This double posting, inability to edit and inability to quote nonsense is getting old...

- - - Updated - - -

This double posting, inability to edit and inability to quote nonsense is getting old...

Dobber Sports Icon

It was a clean hit. It's part of the game. It also really sucks for anyone who was enjoying seeing Laine's great rookie season.

Just ****.

- - - Updated - - -

It was a clean hit. It's part of the game. It also really sucks for anyone who was enjoying seeing Laine's great rookie season.

Just ****.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

The Great One

Hit was clean. End result was unfortunate. I thought Scheifele deserved the 2+5+10 (instigating, fighting, misconduct). But whatever. The notion that there would be a suspension of this play (to anyone) is ridiculous.

Dobber Sports Master

The hit was a clean one. Laine needed to ensure his head was up and he knows where players are. His injury in squarely on himself in my opinion. In terms of Scheifele and his reaction, it was 100% expected. That is what you do when you are a leader on a team in today's NHL. Thing is.... I do not agree with that at all. Its violent and creates a potential for more players to get injured. The players need to figure out that it is the leagues responsibility to punish players. Instant "justice" is not what is called for in all situations. I think this type of mentality should be trained out of the league through the thoughtful decisions by the NHL. Ask yourself, do you want to see big hits? The answer is always yes. Do you want to see players over-react and attack another player for a clean hit? The answer is always no. It is the job of the NHL to create this reality through the implementation and enforcement for properly thought out rules and punishments.

Spit balling here....

1) If the hit was illegal (i.e. the hitter gets a penalty) and the player seeks immediate justice by jumping the other player, he gets a game misconduct only. (unless the hitter gets injured, then rule 3?)
    2) If the hit was legal and the player seeks immediate justice by jumping the other player, he gets suspended and the length would be decided on whether or not the hitter gets injured by the pissed off team mate.

I dont know, I'm just thinking our loud here. I just dont like the idea of Scheifele getting his own justice. I believe this should be removed from the game.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    The hit was a clean one. Laine needed to ensure his head was up and he knows where players are. His injury in squarely on himself in my opinion. In terms of Scheifele and his reaction, it was 100% expected. That is what you do when you are a leader on a team in today's NHL. Thing is.... I do not agree with that at all. Its violent and creates a potential for more players to get injured. The players need to figure out that it is the leagues responsibility to punish players. Instant "justice" is not what is called for in all situations. I think this type of mentality should be trained out of the league through the thoughtful decisions by the NHL. Ask yourself, do you want to see big hits? The answer is always yes. Do you want to see players over-react and attack another player for a clean hit? The answer is always no. It is the job of the NHL to create this reality through the implementation and enforcement for properly thought out rules and punishments.

Spit balling here....

1) If the hit was illegal (i.e. the hitter gets a penalty) and the player seeks immediate justice by jumping the other player, he gets a game misconduct only. (unless the hitter gets injured, then rule 3?)
    2) If the hit was legal and the player seeks immediate justice by jumping the other player, he gets suspended and the length would be decided on whether or not the hitter gets injured by the pissed off team mate.

I dont know, I'm just thinking our loud here. I just dont like the idea of Scheifele getting his own justice. I believe this should be removed from the game.
    Right. You'd cut down on "immediate justice" and then have a staged fight the next shift that the hitter was out there. Not sure that solves anything. Existing rule (2+5+10) would have put the Jets in a pretty big whole. Ref just didn't have the stones to call it.

Dobber Sports Genius

Nope, in my opinion, a player's got to stick up for his teammate, and the NHL should allow that, within reason. Doesn't have to be a big deal, but a guy's got to pay the piper for a hit like that, clean or not. It made me sick to see teams like MTL and EDM let big, injury-inducing hits go without any retribution. It's unhealthy for a team to let stuff like that go. People rarely get injured in those scrums. That part of the game ain't broke, in my opinion. Leave it alone.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by markpiel View Post
    This is a sport played by highly competitive, loyal, large, and strong men. If your teammate, who is possibly the best player on the team, has his clocked cleaned on a hit (clean or not) and you just skate around waiting for the next face-off then I doubt you have what it takes to be playing in the NHL.
    A pretty horrible example to base your post around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    When I clicked on this thread I really didn't expect to see people suggesting these types of hits should be somehow taken out of the game. Good lord, it's either a contact sport or it isn't.
    Who said this hit doesn't belong in the game?!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post

Spit balling here....

Very well said.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Laine was watching practice yesterday, he looked a little groggy, but if he was that bad would he actually be at the rink?? Maybe doing some tests with medical staff. I think he will be out a couple weeks and then back to terrorizing goalies!
    16 GMs with 15 Keepers, Pts only, Top 9F,4D,1G count
    2020 & 2013 UFHL Champion

McDavid/Draisatl/Scheifele/Malkin/Marchand/
    Hall/Voracek/Nugent-Hopkins/Bergeron/Giroux

Hedman/Hamilton/Doughty/Ellis/Nurse

Grubauer

Dobber Sports Expert

Anything new?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Panther View Post
    Anything new?
    Considering it's only been 4 days since he received a concussion, I'm going to guess he still has a concussion. Check back in a month and maybe he won't have a concussion then anymore.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Considering it's only been 4 days since he received a concussion, I'm going to guess he still has a concussion. Check back in a month and maybe he won't have a concussion then anymore.
    Can't blame the guy for asking.

Didn't take Backes a month to return. hell... didn't take Backes much more than a week... and that wasn't his 1st concussion.

I don't imagine the Jets will rush him but I'm just as eager to hear any updates as he's left a rather large hole in my LW.

Dobber Sports Expert

Anything new?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

no.

Dobber Sports Wizard

He retired.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.