Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: WJC

The Wolverine

Default Re: WJC

Genuine question - why isn't the tournament held more often in Europe, especially looking ahead a few years (four of next five years in North America)? Is it simply by choice (i.e. cost) or do host cities have to put forward a case etc? It was looking promising over the last few years in Russia, Sweden and Finland last year. It would be great if Latvia, Denmark and Switzerland could eventually host it.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Sheik View Post
    MLB and MLS have nothing to do with this tournament.

Simple solution, stop holding so much stuff in Toronto. People are sick of it.
    MLB and MLS absolutely have something to do with it. There is only so much money to go around. When the World Juniors was the only show in town that was winning, they had a relatively open shot at the whole pot.

Then, in between last tournament and this tournament, the Jays started winning, there goes a chunk of the money, Toronto FC started winning, there goes another chunk of the money, Canada was winning the WCoH, there goes another chunk of the money.

At least the second part of your statement is half right. There was too much held in Toronto leading up to this tournament and therefore less money to go around because of it. But no, people are not sick of it. There just isn't enough to go around to sell out all venues.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    MLB and MLS absolutely have something to do with it. There is only so much money to go around. When the World Juniors was the only show in town that was winning, they had a relatively open shot at the whole pot.

Then, in between last tournament and this tournament, the Jays started winning, there goes a chunk of the money, Toronto FC started winning, there goes another chunk of the money, Canada was winning the WCoH, there goes another chunk of the money.

At least the second part of your statement is half right. There was too much held in Toronto leading up to this tournament and therefore less money to go around because of it. But no, people are not sick of it. There just isn't enough to go around to sell out all venues.
    Toronto is a bandwagon town. If Canada is doing well, they will show up. This year, they weren't sure since there are no big names.

The Great One

It's not held in Europe because they make more money in Canada. Which then gets spread out to all participating countries.

Also, Ev, you're way off the mark by saying the ACC is all suits for the junior games. Way off base. You have no idea.

Not that it's any of your business, but a friend of mine bought the package and doesn't live in the GTA. Was helping him sell tickets.

But that has nothing to do with you saying the ACC is full of suits for these games. Waaaayyyyy off.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not held in Europe because they make more money in Canada. Which then gets spread out to all participating countries.

Also, Ev, you're way off the mark by saying the ACC is all suits for the junior games. Way off base. You have no idea.

Not that it's any of your business, but a friend of mine bought the package and doesn't live in the GTA. Was helping him sell tickets.

But that has nothing to do with you saying the ACC is full of suits for these games. Waaaayyyyy off.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I know when they held the WJC in Halifax in 2003, they had no issues selling out the 10,500 seat Metro Centre and even when European teams were playing against themselves, they were still selling it out.

They need to branch out from just the Toronto/Montreal areas and take it back to the smaller cities across the country. I am not sure how well those ticket prices would fly in the smaller markets either, but if they aren't working in Toronto/Montreal, I think it's safe to say it won't fly in the smaller markets either.
    I agree that they came back to Toronto/Montreal too soon, got greedy after the results two years ago were so good.

I think they are setting themselves up for failure in Buffalo next year as well given that's 3 out of 4 years counting on the Southern Ontario market to carry the tournament.

They need to head out West or East, and they'd sellout again (given a ticket price adjustment). Vancouver/Victoria should do well in a couple years because it's a different fan base.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post

Right. That's why it's so packed for these games. All those non suits are just jamming the place.

Toronto is not and never will be a casual hockey city. Even the World Cup was not attended.

Dobber Sports Genius

Low attendance was all the talk on 690 Montreal this am. Think there were less than 5000 people at the game last night and heard many were being moved from the top bowl to the middle bowl. I checked online this am and could easily get a ticket to tomorrow's Canada game for $50 / center ice / upper bowl.

Reasons being bantered around on the radio: Montreal residents don't have the cash flow to go (seeing as xmas has passed), Montreal is not a Jr. hockey city, the venues are just too big for Jr hockey, no star players to draw larger crowds....

I think better marketing and lower ticket prices would draw more of a crowd. $20-30 tickets or less for families might pack the barn a tad more than $50-250 tickets I saw this am.

I would rather Canada west or east do more hosting than the larger urban centers like MTL and TO.

Buffalo next year..

- - - Updated - - -

Low attendance was all the talk on 690 Montreal this am. Think there were less than 5000 people at the game last night and heard many were being moved from the top bowl to the middle bowl. I checked online this am and could easily get a ticket to tomorrow's Canada game for $50 / center ice / upper bowl.

Reasons being bantered around on the radio: Montreal residents don't have the cash flow to go (seeing as xmas has passed), Montreal is not a Jr. hockey city, the venues are just too big for Jr hockey, no star players to draw larger crowds....

I think better marketing and lower ticket prices would draw more of a crowd. $20-30 tickets or less for families might pack the barn a tad more than $50-250 tickets I saw this am.

I would rather Canada west or east do more hosting than the larger urban centers like MTL and TO.

Buffalo next year..
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Toronto is a bandwagon town. If Canada is doing well, they will show up. This year, they weren't sure since there are no big names.
    Disagree. Toronto is a big league town. They will come out for the big show, and in droves if they're winning. Canada is the big show, and the juniors have a history of winning, so the support will generally be there as long as the market doesn't get saturated. It really feels like your anti-Toronto bias is clouding your judgement here.

Banned

Disagree. Toronto is a big league town. They will come out for the big show, and in droves if they're winning. Canada is the big show, and the juniors have a history of winning, so the support will generally be there as long as the market doesn't get saturated. It really feels like your anti-Toronto bias is clouding your judgement here.
    I'm not anti Toronto. I like the Raptors and have been to many Jays games. I have seen first hand - for non Leafs events, people will not show up if the team is not winning.

Toronto has too many of these events thinking it's New York or LA. It's not.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'm not anti Toronto. I like the Raptors and have been to many Jays games. I have seen first hand - for non Leafs events, people will not show up if the team is not winning.

Toronto has too many of these events thinking it's New York or LA. It's not.
    Good point, I forgot about the Raptors playoff run. Thanks for adding that to the mix.

No, Toronto is not quite New York or LA, but it is literally right behind them on that list.

Banned

Good point, I forgot about the Raptors playoff run. Thanks for adding that to the mix.

No, Toronto is not quite New York or LA, but it is literally right behind them on that list.
    Understatement.

Anyway, my point stands. The WJ is far better off in cities like Ottawa, Halifax, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver.

Dobber Sports Ace

They should just bring back the games to Saskatoon/Regina. Our whole province would travel hundreds of km's to watch the quality hockey. We would stay in tents in -25 C weather if we had to (if the hotels were filled up) heh heh!
    Comish Dynasty - 3 Tiers - 24 GMs (G A +/- PIM STP SOG HITS BLK W SV GAA / 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G) - $1130 SALARY CAP - Tier 1

C - Point $111, Horvat $67, Athanasiou $27 (C/LW), Mittelstadt $5, Lafferty $5 (C,LW,RW), Kupari $5, Coyle $40 (C/RW), Saarela $5
    LW - E.Kane $130, Bertuzzi $11 (LW/RW), Matt Martin $27, B.Lemieux $5, Haula (C/LW) $5, Motte $5,
    RW - Tarasenko $117, Keller $28 (RW/LW), Niederreiter $65 (LW/RW) , Tatar $57 (LW/RW), Kyrou $5 (C/LW), B.Ritchie
    D - Werenski $62, Pulock $57, R.Ellis $65, Ceci $36, T.Myers $59, T.DeAngelo $9, Bear $5, Witkowski, $5, Byram $5, Boqvist $5, T.Smith $5, Capobianco $5
    G - Grubauer $42, Rittich $27, Sorokin $5,

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I mean that's just certifiably false. You're talking about a difference of about double to triple the population between New York or LA. That right there is some laughable Toronto hubris. GTA is a cute little sister to New York or LA.

And I'm with Shiek. Toronto is an event town. Take it as an insult if you want, it's not really one. Two years ago the WJC was fresh and exciting and had McDavid when Toronto was in the running for McDavid. Now it's same old same old. It's not really allocation of resources, they just aren't a hockey city. The WJC is "been there done that" with no marquee names so they don't care. It is what it is. Stop slamming everything down TO's throat, and stop slamming TO down Canada/the hockey worlds throat.

The Great One

Toronto has had a better turn out than Montreal.

It's a hockey town obviously.

To say Toronto isn't a casual hockey town is just stupid.

People come from all over the world to watch games in Toronto and to see the Hockey Hall of Fame.

The fact that Toronto is having a better attendance than Montreal for the second year speaks volumes that Toronto IS a 'casual' hockey town.

Lots of stupid things said in this thread, but one thing I agree with is that it should be spread out around the country.

I'm curious to compare the revenue of this event to the revenue of when it's hosted in Europe, or even other parts of the country.

Filling a 20,000 arena is pretty difficult for the not so popular teams.

- - - Updated - - -

Toronto has had a better turn out than Montreal.

It's a hockey town obviously.

To say Toronto isn't a casual hockey town is just stupid.

People come from all over the world to watch games in Toronto and to see the Hockey Hall of Fame.

The fact that Toronto is having a better attendance than Montreal for the second year speaks volumes that Toronto IS a 'casual' hockey town.

Lots of stupid things said in this thread, but one thing I agree with is that it should be spread out around the country.

I'm curious to compare the revenue of this event to the revenue of when it's hosted in Europe, or even other parts of the country.

Filling a 20,000 arena is pretty difficult for the not so popular teams.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I mean that's just certifiably false. You're talking about a difference of about double to triple the population between New York or LA. That right there is some laughable Toronto hubris. GTA is a cute little sister to New York or LA.

And I'm with Shiek. Toronto is an event town. Take it as an insult if you want, it's not really one. Two years ago the WJC was fresh and exciting and had McDavid when Toronto was in the running for McDavid. Now it's same old same old. It's not really allocation of resources, they just aren't a hockey city. The WJC is "been there done that" with no marquee names so they don't care. It is what it is. Stop slamming everything down TO's throat, and stop slamming TO down Canada/the hockey worlds throat.
    So who comes after New York and LA then? I never said how big the gap was, but yes, Toronto is next on that list. It's amazing how much people get their backs up whenever Toronto comes into the discussion. The whole "they aren't a hockey City" point is a joke and not worth debating. It's just plain wrong. I'll leave it here as I know how debates go with you two.