Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Strome

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Ryan Strome

Maybe my search function is busted, or maybe this just hasn't come up in a while... but I'm curious how low his value is sinking in some peoples leagues?

I got into a great discussion with a fellow manager in a 16 team dynasty league. We roster 23 players + 25 man prospect rosters, multi-cat, so it can get pretty deep. Strome is over his prospect GP limit (164 gp) so he's locked to main roster duty, and the current manager is open to moving him.

Obviously, he's valuing him at a level that banks on him getting traded in the next few weeks. He's also latching onto the 50 point rookie season (remember when Sam Gagner scored 49 in his rookie season?)

Naturally in situations like this, Seguin comparisons get tossed out - guy will get traded and become a stud again. In my head, only two young players recently have really seen their value increase post-trade when coming from distressed situations: Seguin + Nino Niederreiter.

On the flip side, guys who have stayed even keel or gone down: Hall, Johansen, Yakupov, E. Kane, Gudbranson, Paajarvi, Connolly, Beau Bennett, Hamilton, Baertschi, Grigorenko. For better or for worse, none of those players have seen their value rise after a trade.

So I ask, how do you value Ryan Strome, and what do you think the future holds?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Ryan Strome

If he asks for more than a sniff of your jock, I wouldn't acquire him. Unless you have Ladd and he'll make the flip.

Until something in his future changes - coach or team, I wouldn't give up anything I held any value to for him.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sage

Strome has been unowned in my league for most of the season. He was a 1st round pick in our prospect draft a few years ago, but as soon as he passed 150 games and had to be rostered, he was dropped and has gone unclaimed. The Isles just havent been able to develop any of their draft picks aside from JT who is good regardless of his situation. I dont think most Isles will ever reach their potential until there is a better coaching staff in there.

I...am your father.

He was just dropped today in my league that allows adds and drops (40 per year).

I took about half a second to claim him. Hopefully the waiver claim goes through for me tomorrow. The instant Jack Capuano is fired, Strome is going OFF!

Edit - I should clarify - my plan is to keep him on my bench for about three weeks. After that...real estate may be too valuable. So I'm banking on a quick firing (so the Isles need to lose a lot!)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    He was just dropped today in my league that allows adds and drops (40 per year).

I took about half a second to claim him. Hopefully the waiver claim goes through for me tomorrow. The instant Jack Capuano is fired, Strome is going OFF!

Edit - I should clarify - my plan is to keep him on my bench for about three weeks. After that...real estate may be too valuable. So I'm banking on a quick firing (so the Isles need to lose a lot!)
    How many do you keep each offseason though? With top 12 counting for points, seems like you can afford to miss on the bottom end an it's no skin off your nose.

In my league, I offered up Arvidsson for him as the other GM said he was looking for "50 point player with upside who is still prospect eligible" (<164gp) I have a stacked roster so I can afford to miss on Strome. Offer got swatted ASAP.

So I guess my question is, what makes you so sure he rebounds so strongly? I get the feeling Strome has never really faced adversity ever in his career, so what if he just doesn't know how to handle this? In the games I've watched, his play is uninspiring at best.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    How many do you keep each offseason though? With top 12 counting for points, seems like you can afford to miss on the bottom end an it's no skin off your nose.

In my league, I offered up Arvidsson for him as the other GM said he was looking for "50 point player with upside who is still prospect eligible" (<164gp) I have a stacked roster so I can afford to miss on Strome. Offer got swatted ASAP.

So I guess my question is, what makes you so sure he rebounds so strongly? I get the feeling Strome has never really faced adversity ever in his career, so what if he just doesn't know how to handle this? In the games I've watched, his play is uninspiring at best.
    I would trade Strome for Arvidsson all day.. I wouldn't trade Arvidsson for Strome though. I really like Arvidsson, he's a 50pt player and I like him to do that THIS YEAR.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I would trade Strome for Arvidsson all day.. I wouldn't trade Arvidsson for Strome though. I really like Arvidsson, he's a 50pt player and I like him to do that THIS YEAR.
    I agree with you on that projection. If I showed the rest of my roster, you'd understand why I can afford to get a bit risky here and hope Strome returns to what we once thought he was, especially in a dynasty league (I keep all 23+25 players on my roster)

Arvidsson is really starting to grow on me though. Currently ranked 59th under our settings.

iCorsi through the roof too. 8th among players with 400+ TOI in all situations. (Ovechkin, Tarasenko, Skinner, Burns, Hoffman, Kadri, Matthews, Arvidsson, Pacioretty, Voracek)

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    No, that's a different league (keep everybody). For the league in question we keep 12.

He's a huge risk, but I like the upside. And he'll continue to suck under the current coach, that much I know.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Jedi

Does Snow have to go before Caps gets the boot? I'm starting to wonder. The owners can't even decide where the teams should play. The issues are bigger and worse than just Capuano.

I do agree there's a lot more in Strome than last year/this years version and he'll one day regain some level of expectations. I do really enjoy though a prospect that just continues to progress in a straight line ala Arvidsson. he's just a stud.

I'd be interested to see what he wants instead of Arvidsson for Strome from your roster.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Does Snow have to go before Caps gets the boot? I'm starting to wonder. The owners can't even decide where the teams should play. The issues are bigger and worse than just Capuano.

I do agree there's a lot more in Strome than last year/this years version and he'll one day regain some level of expectations. I do really enjoy though a prospect that just continues to progress in a straight line ala Arvidsson. he's just a stud.

I'd be interested to see what he wants instead of Arvidsson for Strome from your roster.
    He floated Nyquist early in the conversation. The lower end of my forward base is basically Kadri, Nyquist, Mark Stone, Elias Lindholm, Landeskog, Dubinsky.

I think Lindholm would be the only one who would make remotely any kind of sense. But is one really better than the other at this point?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Strome has no real value in my dynasty league, so I am holding him.

I think Snow is a bigger problem than Capuano, honestly. They have the entire forward corps singed for next year. That isn't their 3 or 4 core forwards, that is all 12 of their regulars. That is utterly insane for a last place team, and doubly so with expansion looming.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Pro

I got an offer on the board for His Tatar for My Strome. I'm in second place and incredibly good on offense.

Thoughts? Team below.
    Follow me on X! Renegade_H

16 team Banger league
    G,A,PPP,BLK,HITS,PIM,SOG,W,GAA,S%,SAVES

FWDS
    Robertson, Stamkos, Kyrou, Huberdeau, Necas, Carlsson, Rossi, McMichael, Coleman, Gaudreau, Schwartz, Kuzmenko, Hathaway, Hoglander, Domi, Barbashev, Newhook

DMEN
    Montour, Burns, Hanifin, Sanheim, Walman, Pionk, Provorov

GOALIES
    Fluery, Montembeault, Wedgewood, Raanta

Injured
    F. Andersen, Landeskog, Hamilton

PROSPECT POOL
    Kasper, Moore, Ostlund, Yurov, Morrow, Zellweger, Nazar

Dobber Sports Apprentice

From Dictionary.com:

Strome

noun

1. A person who performs less well in situations than would be expected on the basis of abilities indicated by intelligence, skill etc.

The boy studied hard for his exams, only to Strome during exam period.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    I got an offer on the board for His Tatar for My Strome. I'm in second place and incredibly good on offense.

Thoughts? Team below.
    I think I'd take this just based on pure speculation that strome may be traded...that's all tho. I wouldn't do this without that potential...
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    I think I'd take this just based on pure speculation that strome may be traded...that's all tho. I wouldn't do this without that potential...
    I think you have it backwards - mixed up ... Strome getting traded would be a good thing for him. That would be a reason to hold on to him, not trade him for Tatar.