Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Concerns about Hoffman, Steen, Toffoli, JVR?

RunningRob

Default Concerns about Hoffman, Steen, Toffoli, JVR?

Hey everyone,

I'm off to a 3-0 start and am fairly happy with my team so far. That said, I have several players that I'm concerned about due to slow starts. I don't want to cut bait on them just yet but they aren't contributing much. There are quite a few promising young guns on the wire that also have dual eligibility...

* Mike Hoffman (LW)
    * Alex Steen (LW/RW)
    * Tyler Toffoli (C/RW)
    * JVR (LW)

Notable Free Agents:

ROR (C/LW)
    Larkin (C/RW)
    Monahan (C)
    Wennberg (C)
    Marner (C/RW)
    Ehlers (LW/RW)
    Konecny (C/LW)
    Hossa (RW)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Concerns about Hoffman, Steen, Toffoli, JVR?

I would hold on all of those guys. You've got some pretty high standards for slow starts . JVR for example is on a 64pt pace which would be a career high.

The other 3 aren't doing that bad either. Currently on ~50-55pt paces which probably won't continue seeing as how their shooting percentages are quite low right now. Hoffman's had a slower start for sure but he's around half of his career shooting %. That won't last.

The only guy on that list that I would maybe make a move for is Ehlers for Hoffman. You league doesn't count SOG so that lowers Hoffman's value. Ehlers has dual wing eligibility and he probably out-points Hoff this year with how that jets' top line is rolling.

O'Reilly and Monahan would normally be interesting as well but O'Reilly's nagging groin injury may slow him down this year and Monahan only has C-eligibility where you're pretty set already.

If your team is off to a 3-0 start with these guys not performing at their peak levels then why change anything when they're bound to bounce back?

RunningRob

Quote Originally Posted by kobe View Post
    I would hold on all of those guys. You've got some pretty high standards for slow starts . JVR for example is on a 64pt pace which would be a career high.

The other 3 aren't doing that bad either. Currently on ~50-55pt paces which probably won't continue seeing as how their shooting percentages are quite low right now. Hoffman's had a slower start for sure but he's around half of his career shooting %. That won't last.

The only guy on that list that I would maybe make a move for is Ehlers for Hoffman. You league doesn't count SOG so that lowers Hoffman's value. Ehlers has dual wing eligibility and he probably out-points Hoff this year with how that jets' top line is rolling.

O'Reilly and Monahan would normally be interesting as well but O'Reilly's nagging groin injury may slow him down this year and Monahan only has C-eligibility where you're pretty set already.

If your team is off to a 3-0 start with these guys not performing at their peak levels then why change anything when they're bound to bounce back?
    If anyone on that list was standing out, it'd be Ehlers. Regarding him, 1) can that top line keep rolling, or is it unsustainable? and 2) is owning two players from the same team (Laine and Ehlers in this case) ill-advised? It's great when they're producing, but if they slump collectively, it hurts to have both.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think they can keep it going as their chemistry has been amazing. Dobber thinks so as well with all 3 guys topping 65pts this year.

True that if they slump collectively then you take the full brunt but picking someone on another team isn't going to counteract slumps either. The resounding positive is that you and only you will get the compounding effects of that line scoring (well except for the guy who has Scheifele). If Laine has a 3pt night but your opponent has Ehlers who also gets in on those 3pts then it kind of counteracts that great outting.

+/- will swing more but that stat is so variable that it's not useful to attempt to manage it.

RunningRob

I think they can keep it going as their chemistry has been amazing. Dobber thinks so as well with all 3 guys topping 65pts this year.

True that if they slump collectively then you take the full brunt but picking someone on another team isn't going to counteract slumps either. The resounding positive is that you and only you will get the compounding effects of that line scoring (well except for the guy who has Scheifele). If Laine has a 3pt night but your opponent has Ehlers who also gets in on those 3pts then it kind of counteracts that great outting.

+/- will swing more but that stat is so variable that it's not useful to attempt to manage it.
    Got it. Bottomline, how inclined would you be to swap out Ehlers for Hoffman? I know you said you might consider it, but would you call it a lateral move moving forward?

Dobber Sports Pro

I would do it.
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

RunningRob

Quote Originally Posted by GSD View Post
    I would do it.
    Any reasoning beyond what is discussed above?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'd do it. The Sens offense isn't doing so well and that Stone/Hoffman/Turris line that was so good the last couple of seasons isn't together anymore. Hoff is likely going to bounce back but Ehlers will still out score him by the end of the year.

You're not in a deep league anyways so if Ehlers hits a wall then there are a lot of options on the wire.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I would look at dropping Steen for Ehlers too. Steen also gets injured and misses games often.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Two words: Guy Boucher.

ouch!
    Keeper's league, points only, 24 teams league Skaters: 1 pt for goal and 1 pt for assist, Goalie, 2 pts for win, + 2 pts for SO

RunningRob

Quote Originally Posted by Nords4ever View Post
    I would look at dropping Steen for Ehlers too. Steen also gets injured and misses games often.
    Good point.

So if I dropped Steen and Hoffman, Ehlers and _______ would be an ideal upgrade?

RunningRob

Cut bait with Steen? He doesn't seem right and his struggles continue.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JHouly View Post
    Two words: Guy Boucher.

ouch!
    One word : luck. Sens top scorers are generating a lot of shots and chances, but they're not bouncing right now. They will start scori in bunches. Especially now that they are focusing on offense in practice. At first they wanted to fix th tema defence which they've done a great job of doing so far.

Banned

I'd do it. The Sens offense isn't doing so well and that Stone/Hoffman/Turris line that was so good the last couple of seasons isn't together anymore. Hoff is likely going to bounce back but Ehlers will still out score him by the end of the year.

You're not in a deep league anyways so if Ehlers hits a wall then there are a lot of options on the wire.
    That was never a consistent line, not sure where you're getting that from. Hoffman played with zibanejad and Ryan last season. Stone played with pageau and smith the last three months. Now Hoffman is being tried with Ryan and brassard.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I concur with dropping Steen for Ehlers.

Keep a close eye on Wennberg & ROR too. I'd probably drop Hoffman next.