Thread: Any thoughts on Ekblad?

The Great One

Default Any thoughts on Ekblad?

I haven't watched any Florida games this year, but I am wondering if anyone can explain to me why Ekblad hasn't been scoring any points. Is he getting any power play time? Is he struggling to score points because the entire team is struggling without Huberdeau? Is Yandle negatively impacting Ekblad's potential?

I have the chance to acquire him, but I'm paying an extremely steep price to do so. I know there are plenty of better fantasy options out there, but this is all about supply and demand, and most of the better options are not available, so I either acquire Ekblad or make due with Larsson, who is killing me. Not that Ekblad is any better so far (in fact, Larsson actually has more points that Ekblad), but long-term I have to believe Ekblad is the better option.

This is for points-only, btw.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

The Great One

Default Re: Any thoughts on Ekblad?

He's not on a mission to score - that's not his role. It's like Pietrangelo (who has Shattenkirk to carry the scoring torch) or Vlasic (who has Burns). I, and others, noted in the offseason that Ekblad should not be counted upon for much more than 40 points per season (if even that) for the indefinite future, especially with the arrival of Yandle, who must receive sheltered minutes and is "the guy" on the PP.

When the dust settles on 2016-17, Ekblad should still have 35 points, or still perhaps even more, but this is a vision into the immediate future.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I would say that Ekblad is more of a Drew Doughty - better real life player than fantasy player.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I wouldn't give a ton for Ekblad at this point. You could buy low but I wouldn't buy high.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I would say that Ekblad is more of a Drew Doughty - better real life player than fantasy player.
    I still think he's more like Pietrangelo and Vlasic than, say Doughty or Keith, since Doughty and Keith are great all-around and still looked upon to contribute offensively. They also have decent OZ% numbers.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    I wouldn't give a ton for Ekblad at this point. You could buy low but I wouldn't buy high.
    Buying high and buying low are relative...I know I'm paying a steep price, but certainly less than I'd have paid for him last year.

There is literally no one else available in this league for the package I'm offering (trust me when I say I have tried). I could give up considerably more to land someone like McDonagh or maybe Yandle, but I'm not getting a stud dman no matter what I offer up.

To be honest, I'm not all that concerned about the price I'm paying to acquire Ekblad. I'm more wondering why he hasn't scored any points this year. I'm not expected 50 pts, but I was expecting him to score 40 and so far he is on pace for much less.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I still think he's more like Pietrangelo
    I was going to make the same comparison.
    Like AP, Ekblad is still playing very solid hockey... no flash, and no stats.
    For fantasy hockey, he's going to be overrated and not worth pursuing in most league formats.

Dobber Sports Guru

Is keytolife not around these parts anymore?
    I miss his Panthers updates....
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Ekblad has a great future at only 20 years old, but like stated above Keith Yandle takes a lot of that scoring away from him.

The Great One

Boom!

I acquired him and he scores his first goal!
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Apprentice

People are quick to flip a coin.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Ekblad was my 4th kept D. I then traded for Yandle as my 5th starting D.

Should I expect to consider Yandle as my 4th keeper D by seasons end with Karlsson, OEL and Josi?

Yandle the better fantasy D for me?

I know people cover Ekblad in my league and I could definitely turn a profit on him. Especially considering the strength of my blue line this year.

Thoughts?

The Great One

FWIW, I prefer Yandle and would take him over the recently acquired Ekblad...though my league is points-only.

Truthfully, in a points-only league I rank Ekblad fairly low, in line with the likes of Doughty, Pietrangelo, McDonagh, etc. They are all 40 pt dmen, with the potential for slightly more in some years. Yandle, on the other hand, is a 45-50 pt dman with potential for more on any given year, imo.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Dmen require patience. It's so easy to forget that Ekblad is only 20, given that he's now on to his third season in the league. Yes, he's a 40-point dman...As a teenager. Yes, he's really strong in his own end...But again, he's barely out of his teens. I'm not sure why so many people want to pigeon hole this guy as another Vlasic when he isn't anywhere near his prime as a defenceman. It is possible for the very best defensive d to put up solid fantasy numbers. Just ask Weber.

I also don't buy the whole "yandle takes away his scoring" line I've been hearing a lot of recently. Ekblad is currently averaging 4 minutes on the powerplay, up from 2:50 last year. He's also seeing a painful team 5v5sh% of 1.03% and a pdo of 957. And as for the yandle taking his scoring...They play together on the powerplay. If anything, Yandle boosts the man advantage and Ekblad should benefit by being there with him, and for an extra 1:10 a night to boot so far.

If anyone in your keeper/dynasty league values this guy less than Yandle then he's a definite buy.

Scoop him up, give him a roster spot and leave him there for the next 10 years.