Thread: 1st year in a keeper league - draft strategy?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default 1st year in a keeper league - draft strategy?

This is my first year doing a keeper league.

Can I get some advice on a draft strategy? Such as, which round to pick a prospect, like Stamkos or Okposo? Avoiding older guys like Modano and going after Bobby Ryans? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Alot,

Adam
    C - Brassard, Briere, Umberger, Bergeron
    LW - Kovalchuk, Clowe, Parise, Voros, Huselius
    RW - Dumont, Setoguchi, Hemsky, Miettenin
    D - Blake, Zubov, Campbell
    G - Lundquvist, Luongo, Boucher, Smith

C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, W, F, D, D, D, D, Util, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR, IR
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHG, SHP, GWG, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Hi Adam - welcome to Dobberhockey forums

You ask a very big question. I think the answer needs to be funnelled a little based on the type of keeper league you are in, the size of the league, the experience of the other GM\'s, your scoring categories, the size of your roster(s), the profile of your starting roster and the whether you have daily or weekly starts.

Generally, drafts are dynamic and the more research you do the better prepared you are to handle the flow of it and make the calls you need to, at the right time.

Right at the outset, deciding how competitive you want to be in the first year, can have a huge impact on how you draft. do you want to go for it, build a decent now team with balance to perform well over a few years or start right from the get-go to develop a rock solid team of the future.

Lots to consider before you get down to a detailed strategy.

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

If you are going with prospects you need to assume that they will take two+ years to really get their potential going. There will always be hype regarding rookies but like shoeless said, do you want to be in a position to build for a couple years from now, or do you want to go for the championship this year.

Also if you\'re in a semi-keeper where you only keep several players, rookies may not be so attractive. For more in detail responses, post your league categories & stats etc... Then you will be given more insight on the direction you may want to take.
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks guys. I figured that the question was pretty broad.

The league is 10 teams with 18 man rosters. It\'s not that deep. It sounds like I shouldn\'t get too caught up with prospects?

Adam
    C - Brassard, Briere, Umberger, Bergeron
    LW - Kovalchuk, Clowe, Parise, Voros, Huselius
    RW - Dumont, Setoguchi, Hemsky, Miettenin
    D - Blake, Zubov, Campbell
    G - Lundquvist, Luongo, Boucher, Smith

C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, W, F, D, D, D, D, Util, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR, IR
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHG, SHP, GWG, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Wow that is pretty shallow so there will tonnes of action on free agency - that is were most of the future prospects probably should live this year. With a good draft you should be able to build the team you will want to keep for a while I think.

I would focus on targetting the top 2 guys are each position as solid young keepers who will produce this year. Then you will have lots of room to play.

There are prospects worth drafting though - depends when they fall to you. I need to run now but will get back to this thread a later.

Nice meeting you.