Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Schneider put on waivers...Hello Selanne

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Schneider put on waivers...Hello Selanne

Ultra,

Had the exact same thought in my simultaneous post. ATL makes more sense than LA hockey wise. Let me rephrase what I said in my previous post - I\'m not sure ATL is more likely than LA to take him, but I think they have much better reason to. I would jump on him if I were Waddell, and would pass if I were Lombardi.

Waiver priority in the offseason is the reverse order of the final standings. So top priority is TBL => LAK => ATL.

There\'s no recall waivers in the summer, so ANA can\'t absorb half the salary with the other team only absorbing the other half. I guess that could be circumvented if he\'s kept in the AHL for one game then recalled back ... but that would only leave about 2M in cap for Selanne.

And VAN, of course, if they claim him, will be out of the Sundin race.
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

Dobber Sports Ninja

It is an interesting little game, waiting to see if anyone is going to trade for a player, or if you can wait and snag them off of Waivers when the team finally realises that no one is going to budge.

This happens in salary cap fantasy leagues all the time so it shouldn\'t be all that surprising that it happens in \'real life\' as well.

In fantasy leagues with a salary cap, often times players who are good, but cost some money, will be shopped around and every single GM will hold their ground and refuse to trade for him, figuring that they can get the asset for free once he\'s dropped.

In one of my leagues this year Nylander is being shopped around but none of us other GMs are willing to move even a draft pic for the guy because we know that he\'s going to end up on Waivers and then one of us is going to get him that way.

You are not guaranteed the player but that\'s the risk you take.

This seems to be what is happening with Anaheim. Personally I think that Burke is not as beloved by other GMs around the league as perhaps is portrayed. The sharks smell blood and so they are circling around tearing away at the Ducks piece by piece (Bryzgalov, Schneider, even Penner to an extent) I have to admit I like watching sharks eat things, particularly things like Burke.

Dobber Sports Guru

haha, thats funny doulos.

fzusher - great point. however i\'m not sure that there wouldn\'t be a good benefit to LA as well in having Schneider tutor JJ and Doughty in how to run an NHL powerplay.

either way, i\'m mostly indifferent.

Dobber Sports Giant

Funny but true Doulos!

ATL or LA would be a good fit like everybody said. However, I don\'t know if it\'s just me, but I could see TB snagging him since they seems to be interested in everybody who\'s available!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

TB will probably grab him - the team is run by fantasy hockey GMs who finally have a REAL team to play with.
    "If the all star game is about showing off ur skills. If I was in the breakaway competition, I'd dump it in and change."
    -Paul Bissonette, "BizNasty2point0", on Twitter, January 30, 2011

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Scoff at Burke all you like but there\'s a lot more to this than him just \"letting\" Schneider go for nothing because no one will give him anything. To me this is either Burke putting a \"favour\" in his pocket or trying to get some brownie points from his fellow GMs.

Last year he put Bryz on waivers, of course he could\'ve gotten something decent for him but instead he allowed him to go to the team at the top of the waiver wire who happened to need him. Not sure if anyone remembers but at the time of Burke putting Bryz on waivers the Capitals were ahead of Phoenix. There was a rumour that Burke had asked Wash to not pick him up and they would work something out afterwards.

Lo and behold Wash didn\'t pick up Bryz(kind of odd why they wouldn\'t considering that they went out and traded for Huet at the deadline). Oddly enough though not two weeks after Phoenix signed Bryz the Ducks and Caps made a deal. I do believe the Ducks received Sutherby for a draft pick(I think it may have been a 2nd but not sure now).

Makes me wonder who out of those teams will sign Schneider and if something may be worked out between the Ducks and one of the teams that either didn\'t sign him or the team that does.

Either way, kind of an interesting way for Burke to set things up. Is he just \"helping\" a fellow team out because he\'s a good guy(ha ha) or is he looking for the \"i\'ll scratch your back now you scratch mine later\" deal.
    H2H Points
    Protect- roster:18 + prospects:7
    F- Tavares, M.Richards, Lecavalier, Kovalchuk, Horton, Hossa, Purcell, Hartnell, Pominville, Simmonds
    D- Doughty, Hedman, Boyle, Meszaros, Wideman
    G- Fleury, Halak, Vokoun

Prospects-
    F- Bowman, Coyle, Adam, Zibenajad, Geoffrion
    D- Savard, Wishart
    G- Hackett, Jones

Dobber Sports Ninja

Is it more likely that Burke is not as smart as people give him credit for or that he is doing favors for other GMs by allowing them the privilege of having his players for nothing?

By look at Burke\'s track record of dismantling good teams (Vancouver and now Anaheim) and his inability to keep his mouth shut but instead slam other GMs, I\'d have to say that while there is a chance that Burke is being Mr Nice guy and working out a deal with another GM, it\'s far more likely that he\'s actually not a very good GM and people don\'t like him.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

#19 Joe Thornton wrote:
    schneider will get claimed by either LA or VAN..
    No way Van goes after him unless they have a deal for Bieksa in the works (ie: Gomez for Bieksa+ rumours). They\'re already reasonabley deep on D with a bunch of no-trade clauses. Or maybe they pick him up just to use as deadline fodder, but that doesn\'t make too much sense to me.

LA maybe...could use another vet. My money\'s on Atlanta or Phoenix, or an outside shot for Nashville because they still need to get up to the cap floor (I think?).
    Full Keeper Team, straight points, no PIMs:
    C Under construction
    LW Under construction
    RW Under construction
    D Under construction
    G Under construction
    Farm Under construction

Dobber Sports Star

Not sure about their cap situation, but is Ottawa out of the mix? Still not sure that they addressed their needs on the pp with Kuba and Picard.
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Ace

I don\'t see this passing by Tampa, LA or Atlanta in the waiver order so not sure what all the speculation is for.
    20 team h2h (multi-cat) dynasty league, 1st season
    C: Getzlaf, MacKinnon, Eakin, Backlund, Schroeder, Bjugstad, Miller, Gaustad
    LW: M Foligno, Wilson, Tatar, Bailey, Palat
    RW: Ovechkin, Voracek, Frattin, Coyle, Clutterbuck
    D: Barrie, Del Zotto, Brodin, Vatanen, Gudas, Donovan, Murphy, Hamonic, Grossmann, Michalek
    G: Pavelec, Schneider, Enroth

Dobber Sports Star

on the bright side...selanne is as good as signed! yay!
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Pro

Ottawa don\'t have the cap room (they\'re roughly 2.7M below the cap, depending on who gets the vacant RW spot).

Nashville are well over the cap floor (by about 5M, with room for one more D) - they have no huge contracts, but have four 4.5M contracts (Erat, Arnott, Legwand, Weber) and then Dumont (4M), Suter (3.5M) and Sullivan (3.2M), De Vries (2.5M), Hamhuis (2M), Ellis (1.75M) and Bonk (1.475M) combining for 36.425M for 11 players. The rest of their contracts are below 1M, but that\'s enough to put them comfortably over the floor.
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

Dobber Sports Wizard

Well he\'s cleared waiver....

Now what?
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5
    Auction draft with a budget of $600. Whatever is left becomes your acquisition budget for the season. At the end of the season 50% of your budget is carried over to the next year.
    Keeper players are taxed +$10 for forwards with over 75 pts. +$5 for forwards under 74pts. +$0 for forwards under 50pts.
    D = +$10 for 65pts +$5 for under 64pts +$0 under 40
    G = +$10 for 32W +$5 for under 31W & +$0 under 15W

(G) (A) 25, (+/-) 5, (PIM) 3, (PPG) 7.5, (PPA) 5, (SHG) 10, (SHA) 7.5
    (SOG) 1 (W) 50, (L) -20, (GA) -5, (SV) 2, (SHO) 50

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Well, the Ducks are still on the hook for his salary to count against their cap. He signed that contract as a player older than 35 years, which means that unless another team takes on his contract, the Ducks are stuck with him counting against their cap. It doesn\'t matter if they waive him and send him to the minors.

I wrote this in another forum and thought it would fit in nicely here:

So now Burke has lost the the following players because of downright horrible cap management:

Dustin Penner
    Andy McDonald
    Ilya Bryzgalov
    Todd Bertuzzi
    Mathieu Schneider

Can someone tell me again why that hot air balloon is considered one of the league\'s top GMs? He lucked out on getting to the helm of a talentwise stacked Ducks team and then lucked out again when Pronger\'s wife wanted to LA and Niedermayer wanted to play with his brother, then lucked out again when the refs raped the Wings on two separate occasions in the conference finals, effectively handing the Ducks a spot in the finals.

He managed to dismantle the Canucks and now he\'s dismantling the Ducks. He\'ll be such a perfect fit for Toronto...
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Too bad there\'s nothing in Toronto for him to dismantle. :laugh: