Thread: Conor Garland

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Conor Garland

Anyone knows his game well? Is he a future Gaudreau or a future Grimaldi? What is your feeling? I know his chances of making the team this year - or even next year - are quite slim, but is it a possibility at all? Anyone following the ARI camp?

The guy ripped - RIPPED - the Q. I'm so tempted to sign him to my farm team...
    H2H - 16 teams - Auction (225 $ cap), cap up to 300$ after auction on any drafted player.
    Keep 3, +7$ each year. Keep 5 farm (cost 1$ to dress).[/I]

Points (1), Defense goals (2), Powerplay Points (0.5), GWG (0.5), ShG (0.5)

10 F 4 D 1 G 5 bench 10 farm

F: Kucherov (41$), Pettersson (15$), Marner (29$), Wheller (55$), Landeskog (18$), Horvat (15$), Meier (16$), Fiala (1$), Beauvillier (1$), Getzlaf (1$)
    D: Barrie (17$), Fox (1$), Girard (1$), Trouba (2$)
    G: Markstrom (6$)

Bench: Athanasiou, Granlund, Gostisbehere, Matheson, Garland

Farm: Boldy, Gurianov, Puljujarvi, Dach, Glass, Kaprizov, Patrick, Sanheim, Tomasino, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Conor Garland

He ripped the Q but I am skeptical of his NHL future. Unless he works hard on his defensive game, he will be an AHL player at best. The kid in the Q only knew how to skate in one direction and that won't fly in the pro game. He may struggle in the AHL if he doesn't change his style to be honest.

Depending on how deep your minors are and how patient you can be, he could be worth a flier but I wouldn't expect much from him any time soon. I'm talking 3-5 years AT BEST.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

He's a great guy to stash in your minors if you have room there. High upside but comes with plenty of risk as well.

I wrote a little bit about Garland earlier in the summer, so I will just quote myself for more information.

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I targeted Garland in both of my leagues this summer and luckily got him in both drafts (and got him pretty late even). In the article linked below, real NHL scouts ranked Garland as the 29th best prospect from the 2015 draft, ahead of players like DeBrusk, Senyshyn, Roslovic, Beauvillier and Merkley. It wouldn't be a big deal if it was just some fantasy hockey ranking but this is real life ranking, so it doesn't look like NHL teams see much issues with Garland's size.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/ho...t-again-today/

Craig Button also ranked Garland as the 22nd best NHL affiliated prospect (http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-top-5...pects-1.436669). Again, not a fantasy hockey ranking but for real life. There, Garland is ranked ahead of players like Sanheim, Honka, Vrana, Barzal and Konecny.

So yeah, I really wanted Garland after seeing these two articles. But I wasn't going to reach for him, I think I drafted him in the 4th round in both leagues.

I'm hoping Garland has a good rookie season in the AHL, not expecting him to see any NHL action this year.

Dobber Sports Initiate

From what I've read, one of the main reasons he ripped the Q was the fact that he was always on the ice, like 30+ minutes a game.

Personnally, I'd consider him a very high risk and would only grab him if my league was very deep with a fairly sized farm team and/or to trade him while the hype is still pretty high (but less so than a couple months ago).

No matter what some analysts may have said, the guys who are paid to make the decisions (and who will ultimately answer for them when they're wrong) all passed on him in 2014 (he was a tiny bit above a point per game even then) and then waited until the 5th round to take him in 2015, so they definitely saw a fair share of risk as well.

In the 2015 Prospects guide, they had Garland 77th overall in their mock draft. In this same guide, they listed his upside as a "Skilled pesky undersized boom-bust forward (Tyler Johnson), 25-30-55" if it helps any. In the 2016 version, they also mention that during the QJMHL playoffs, his production "dropped" to 15 points in 17 game, as well as the defensive lapses that were already mentionned, all the while reminding us that he's only 5'8".

As I said, very big gamble!
    On a fantasy hockey break.

Dobber Sports Monster

I talked to one scout and he said Garland's big problem will be his speed and how his game will translate at the next level.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoeman View Post
    No matter what some analysts may have said, the guys who are paid to make the decisions (and who will ultimately answer for them when they're wrong) all passed on him in 2014 (he was a tiny bit above a point per game even then) and then waited until the 5th round to take him in 2015, so they definitely saw a fair share of risk as well.
    Scouts and GMs have been known to make mistakes and change their mind. The Hockey News article I linked had their rankings a year after the draft, so they've had time to re-consider and I think they regret not drafting him higher.

"It's important to note these are the blended opinions of a dozen scouts, directors of player personnel and GMs and in many cases won't be the same thought processes as individual teams."

Of course I'm not saying he should be drafted in the 1st or 2nd round of any draft, or even owned in shallower leagues. But in deep leagues with deep farm rosters, he's someone I definitely want to own right now. Maybe he turns out to be a complete bust but his upside is worth it until we know. I think he's in the same group of smaller players with DeBrincat and Mascherin, and right now I would want Garland ahead of the two just because he's further ahead.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    He ripped the Q but I am skeptical of his NHL future. Unless he works hard on his defensive game, he will be an AHL player at best. The kid in the Q only knew how to skate in one direction and that won't fly in the pro game. He may struggle in the AHL if he doesn't change his style to be honest.

Depending on how deep your minors are and how patient you can be, he could be worth a flier but I wouldn't expect much from him any time soon. I'm talking 3-5 years AT BEST.
    Watched him in Moncton, and while he made things happen offensively, I don't remember seeing him come back hard to the
    Defense's assistance when required. Seemed like a cherry picker to me. It doesn't help that he is really diminutive.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    Watched him in Moncton, and while he made things happen offensively, I don't remember seeing him come back hard to the
    Defense's assistance when required. Seemed like a cherry picker to me. It doesn't help that he is really diminutive.
    That is what I saw when he came to Halifax to play the Moose. I didn't have to read this from any website, I saw it with my own two eyes.

Don't get me wrong, the kid is skilled offensively, but as I said earlier, the pro game is a lot different than playing in the Jrs. Coaches expect more from players, especially defensively and that's something Garland hasn't had to deal with in Moncton.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."