Thread: Help with a few picks/prospects

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Help with a few picks/prospects

10 team dynasty draft, 7 round draft night is this Saturday. I have won the last two years, set up to go for it again. The league is H2H with team goalies (so no goalie prospects are drafted) and 13 scoring categories. Skater categories are forward goals and assists, defenceman goals and assists, +/-, hits, PIMs, PPG, PPA, blocked shots. My picks at 9th, 19th, and 29th are the ones I am having a hard time deciding who to go for, and if I would be able to wait out some guys at 19 and maybe get them at 29.

Talking with other GM's in our draft, I am about 90% confident that the first 8 picks will go like this:
    1-Matthews
    2-Laine
    3-Puljujarvi
    4-Tkachuk
    5-Bean/Vesey - GM hasn't decided on which yet. Obvious reach on his account, but I'm not going to talk him out of it)
    6-Juolevi - GM is a Canucks fan, so I assume he will take Juolevi, but also don't think he knows Dubois will be available.
    7-Dubois - If Dubois is taken GM says he will take Nylander
    8-Sergachev

This leaves me with a small chance of Nylander being available. Everything I read on him seems like a backhanded compliment, so I'm not sold but am willing to listen. If Juolevi is left undrafted to me I will not take him, I don't think he'll be a fantasy stud, and my back end is already the best in the league. As of right now I'm operating under the impression that I will be choosing from this list of players at 9:

Keller - 2-3 year wait. Already have Domi.
    Jost - 2-3 year wait. Buried on the depth chart in COL at center.
    Aho - plays this year, probably 45 points.

Keller would be the forward with the highest ceiling I think. Is drafting Aho at 9 too early? Is Jost going to be able to get prime minutes as a center, or could he make an impact as a winger?

Of those three who would you draft? Is there anybody else you would draft ahead of them?

-----

Pick 19

Brock Boeser was not taken in our draft last year. I want him. GM's in our draft tend to shy away from college players since they don't play for 2-3 years. My only worry is the Canuck fan in our draft, so I am considering trading up. If I do not trade and Boeser is taken my list is:

McAvoy
    L. Brown
    Fabbro
    Bellows? - I've read a lot about him on here and everybody seems to be really high on him.
    Athanasiou

Who is your pick from those 5? Any of those have a chance of falling to 29?

I appreciate any feedback you guys can give me!

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Help with a few picks/prospects

With your situation, I would target Aho, then grab either Bellows or Boeser with the second pick if available.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

If I'm looking to win it all I take the player that can help me now... And even if I'm not I take the player who has the best trade value...
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I would trade up to #6 if you Dubois is available there. He would be a steal at that spot.

If you stay at #9, go with Keller even if Nylander is available.

At #19, take Boeser if still available. If not, then Bellows likely is. I doubt L.Brown is still there.

Dobber Sports Jedi

at 9 I like Keller over Nylander - went 4th in a prospect draft I just last week.

If Jost or Boeser are available at 19.. I prefer Jost, just see him as such a strong 2 way C. A lot can change in 3 years, do not base prospect decisions on depth charts 2+years away. This year is hard enough to judge for most teams.

You can't be faulted for taking Boeser as he looks like he can really snipe.

I really like McAvoy's ceiling, but he's another NCAA kid... he could slip even further based on your comments about the GM's in your pool
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Novice

Update: I have received an offer for the 9th overall pick, in which I would be receiving the 13th and 14th picks. Having discussed who the guys at 10-12 would likely be taking I'm almost certain I could get Aho and Keller there, and then Boeser at 19, which IMO would be a very strong first 2 rounds.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

If u think u can both than u got urself a steal

The Great One

You answer your own question...
    Experience is the teacher of all things.