Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Give me one good reason I should buy the Dobber Guide this season?

The Great One

Default Re: Give me one good reason I should buy the Dobber Guide this season?

In the end, a guide is food for thought. If you compare how Dobber's Guide stacks up against other guides, it's unquestionably a better quality and more fulfilling meal in view of the scope of coverage, how deep it digs, and how much you receive via updates both to the guide itself and the Excel spreadsheet. But hey - some folks don't appreciate fine dining.

Beyond that, a guide will not win a league for someone who doesn't understand the concepts of cost vs. value in drafting and trading, upward and downward player trends, picking the right players in the right rounds in view of how many teams are in one's league, when to play it safe vs. when to go for high risk high reward, plus drafting factors such as how many players are rostered, and what positions matter, etc.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Do you guys always echo each other back and forth in such a huge circlejerk? Do you never take a moment to step back and evaluate where the guide was badly mistaken so you can think about how to make it better in the future? No one's saying it's all bad, maybe it was awesome the year before last and I happened to buy a dud year or something, but to suggest that last season didn't have several serious screw ups is crazy!

Dobber Sports Giant

Is it possible that the 15 other managers in your league use the guide as well? If not all 15, maybe a 3rd so lets say 5? Can those 5 be in the top 10, maybe even top 5? Either way, what is your take on your opponents success in contrast to yours (or lack of in this case)?

Rather than focusing on what you THINK caused you to fail last year, why don't you try to figure out what worked for the others and add it to your MIX of information this coming year. MIX is in big letters because that is the key to success in my opinion. Trusted sourceS, various opinionS (your own included of course) and some good-old fashion luck are all part of one's success in fantasy leagues. Coming on here to say that the source you banked on failed you and in turn caused you to finish 14th/16 is weak. Roll your sleeves up, take another chance at the guide (or not) and do what you can before AND during the season to better your results this time around.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Initiate

I've been playing fantasy hockey for 8 years. First two seasons were rebuild years and I haven't missed the playoffs in that league since while also coming in 2nd 3 times. Sure the title has eluded me but that's the way she goes. I then created a second league with my friend and we're heading into our 4th season. I haven't missed the playoffs in this league having won one title and losing in the finals last year while going undefeated all the way up until the finals (some bad luck the last week again way she goes). Guess what helped me this entire time? Dobber's Guide. Use it as a guide and not as a crystal ball and you'll be fine. Do your own research while using the guide, checking out other guides and use the forums on here as well.
    Keep 5 12 Team H2H
    Daily:2C,2LW,2RW,2F,4D,2G
    Skate:G,A,TP+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG
    G:W,GAA,SV,SV%,SO
    Keepers Bolded
    C: Kadri, Trochek, E.Linholdm(RW), W.Karlsson
    LW: Ovechkin, Arvidsson(RW), Marchsessault(C), Keller(C,RW)
    RW: Seguin, Zuccarello, K.Hayes(C),
    D: Karlsson, Hamilton, Krug, Green, Phaneuf
    G: Holtby, Talbot, Lehner
    IR: Burakovsky
    NA:

Keep 6 12 Team H2H
    Daily:2C,2LW,2RW,2F,4D,2G
    Skate:G,A,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,HIT,BLK
    G:W,GAA,SV,SV%,SO
    C: Scheifele, Kuznetsov,Pavelski(RW)
    LW: Forsberg,W.Karlsson(C),Connor,JT Miller(C,LW)
    RW: P.Kane, Tarasenko,Stone,Bailey
    D: Byfgulien,Subban,Chabot,Ellis,Gudas
    G: Holtby,Varlamov,Markstrom
    IR: Darling,Fabbri

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by changeling87 View Post
    Do you guys always echo each other back and forth in such a huge circlejerk? Do you never take a moment to step back and evaluate where the guide was badly mistaken so you can think about how to make it better in the future? No one's saying it's all bad, maybe it was awesome the year before last and I happened to buy a dud year or something, but to suggest that last season didn't have several serious screw ups is crazy!
    There were some player projections that were way off but come on man who predicted Kane to go on an unreal tear and score over 100 points? Show me one magazine that predicted Kane 106 pts~, Kuznetsov 77 pts~, Panarin 77 pts~

There are always those few players that break out big time. Things happen. You are getting way out of line here saying everyone is echoing eachother and circle jerking. Uncalled for

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Is it possible that the 15 other managers in your league use the guide as well? If not all 15, maybe a 3rd so lets say 5? Can those 5 be in the top 10, maybe even top 5? Either way, what is your take on your opponents success in contrast to yours (or lack of in this case)?

Rather than focusing on what you THINK caused you to fail last year, why don't you try to figure out what worked for the others and add it your MIX of information this coming year. MIX is in big letters because that is the key to success in my opinion. Trusted sourceS, various opinionS (your own included of course) and some good-old fashion luck are all part of one's success in fantasy leagues. Coming on here to say that the source you banked on failed you and in turn caused you to finish 14th/16 is weak. Roll your sleeves up, take another chance at the guide (or not) and do what you can before AND during the season to better your results this time around.
    I'd say about half of them used no guides, just did their own analysis, the other half used guides of various kinds (McKeens, the Forecaster etc), only one other GM used the Dobber guide and he finished 12th so no I'm not buying that theory. This is not even a crazy serious league, lots of hockey fans but more a casual office pool than a hardcore league, that's why it was such a huge disappointment.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by changeling87 View Post
    I think you are delusional burnsy, at least about last season. I ran the numbers against several other major guides that my league mates used last season. I would have made the playoffs with every one, not finished 14th
    ... if you rely that heavily on a "guide" .... fantasy hockey may not be for you

Dobber Sports Deity

Here's a question for you. Did you ever contact Dobber yourself and express your displeasure instead of making a random post in a forum?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Here's a question for you. Did you ever contact Dobber yourself and express your displeasure instead of making a random post in a forum?
    Is this not his site? It's got his name on it just like the guide.

Dobber Sports Expert

OP is really a condescending pickle.

Perhaps if he spend more time researching info about players instead of attacking everyone in here, maybe he wouldn't have finish 14th out of 16, LOL!!!!!

Seriously, if you go in a draft and draft SOLELY one the ranking of ONE draft guide, you're doing it wrong but I guess that's why I'm always in the money every year for the past 5 years. *Brush dirt of my shoulder*

Did you take time to see what Dobber got right also?
    Do you remember that Pat Kane wasn't considered a first round pick in ANY fantasy guide out there last year?
    Do you remember that Joe Thornton was coming off his worst season in the past 10 years of his career and that at his age, everyone thought he was declining?
    Do you remember any website saying Panarin will win the Calder or finish top10 in scoring?

Get your head out of your ass, you got unlucky and didn't draft well.

EDIT:

I'm not gonna answer your original question because you don't deserves people help. Not the way you're replying to members of this forum that spend hours per week improving everyone's fantasy knowledge. Excuse yourself, or get lost buddy.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Deity

Yes, this is his site, but you are in the forums section of his site; one part of Dobber Sports. Have you taken a look at how big this site actually is?

Just because he's the president of the company doesn't mean he hangs out and drinks coffee with the employees and customers all that often. Sure, he comes around from time to time, but he doesn't live on the forums.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Or even better - start a gofundme page to recoup the money for the guide. I'm sure folks will be lining up in droves to donate.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports All-Star

To be honest, I don't think you should buy the guide if you're in 1 yr leagues and you rely on the projections like gospel, that's my take. I usually disagree with about 50% of all Dobber's projections regardless and usually trust my own instincts when it comes to player and team projections. However, I do still purchase the annual guide for the following reasons:

- I only play dynasty keeper leagues, and the guide info is more suited for long term projection and analysis
    - The guide is still an extremely powerful source of info and data on the players themselves and their development
    - Projections is only a small peace of the puzzle, knowing your players and other players is probably more important in my team management
    - I don't watch much hockey, but I'm a huge fan, this guide is a great read if you're interested in what's happening on every team
    - The research and write ups on the prospects are superb and essential if your league includes prospects
    - This is a good online community and I will support it regardless

In the end, it's each to their own. The guide is just another tool and you still need to use your own intuition when you make decisions.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Master

I can think of no reason to try and convince you to buy the guide. If you dont get any value out of the guide, the ramblings/articles or the forum, then what the hell are you doing here? Are you the guy that goes to a concert just to boo the band? You can best express the lack of quality you attribute to Dobberhockey by not wasting your time here anymore.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    I can think of no reason to try and convince you to buy the guide. If you dont get any value out of the guide, the ramblings/articles or the forum, then what the hell are you doing here? Are you the guy that goes to a concert just to boo the band? You can best express the lack of quality you attribute to Dobberhockey by not wasting your time here anymore.
    Because I'd spent some time on these forums before I bought the guide, and got some decent advice on these forums so after reading all the glowing reviews of the guide I finally decided to try it last year and was disappointed by the results. So I'm asking the question now which no one seems willing to answer honestly, just a big circlejerk refusing to admit any fault at all, it's kind of pathetic when you can't admit when you made mistakes I think but it seems to make you guys happy putting your heads in the sand so whatever, go on spending your money I guess!