Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Give me one good reason I should buy the Dobber Guide this season?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Give me one good reason I should buy the Dobber Guide this season?

Quote Originally Posted by LeTrefle View Post
    Projections are projections. No one can tell the future.
    Every GMs have the same chance of hitting the surprise homerun (like Panarin) or hitting the wall (like Kessel) at the draft.
    You don't win leagues with your draft.
    You win with your trades (sell high-buy low) and your roster management.
    This site gives you so much information on a daily basis (ramblings, columns, forums...). This is that info that will help you win.
    By purchasing the guide, we contribute to maintain this level of information.
    This.
    If you expect any magazine or list of projections to be infallible, then nobody can help you. If that is the case, well, good luck in life because it sounds like you are fairly unintelligent.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Ninja

So you have something to read while you're sitting on the shitter at work?

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by rikkitikki View Post
    Plus who really could predict Voracek's collapse which effected Giroux. Or that Panarin would succeed so well which helped Kane. Or that Kessel would not play with Crosby, and with malkin hurt most of the season really had no set up man.
    Actually I read a few articles before the season start stating how Malkin was a better fit for Kessel then Crosby was. I thought Pitts would do that and most would be surprised...
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Star

If you're going to buy anything, buy the Fantasyhockeygeek subscription. I'm pretty sure you either get the guide for free or the other way around. THAT is totally worth it.
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League | 20 Teams, 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN |
    Categories: (G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO)
    C - Monahan, Kadri, Barzal, Dubois
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    RW - Laine, DeBrincat, Fischer, Tuch
    D - Karlsson, Muzzin, Niskanen, Skjei, Matheson, Forbort
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by changeling87 View Post
    I'm waiting for someone to give me a proper answer. The best we have so far is from a guy who does it to support the site which at least is an answer. The rest have been "well you can't win em all" apologists. If I choose to buy the guide this year, will it actually help me win my pool (because that's how it is advertised) or will I wind up on the bottom again from following it's advice.

What's your deal anyway? You seem awfully invested in this for a guy who just joined and bought his first guide.
    Quote Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
    Seriously?!?!?!?!?

Negative REP for that. Wow, What's YOUR deal anyway?

I'm done here.

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

TO the OP. Perhaps you're just shitty at fantasy hockey.

I don't say that as a joke. You can't simply rely on a guide to make up for your lack of intuition, insight and knowledge about the sport. Do your own research next time, and don't criticize someone else's.
    FANTASY LEAGUE: "Hockey Night on Hoth" (est. 2012)
    TEAM NAME: "The Barrelriders"

FORMAT: H2H Keeper League (Keep 4 - no more than two per position)
    TEAM FORMAT: 12 Teams, 17 Players per Team (3C, 4W, 3D, 2G, 5Util)
    STAT CATS: G, A, P, PPP, FW, Shots, Hits, Blocks | Wins, SVS, GAA, SV%

MY TEAM:

C | N. Mackinnon,
    W | J. Benn, J. Pavelski
    D |
    G | A. Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Genius

One day hockey will be played by robots against other robots officiated by robots with robots making predictions. Until that day.....
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Sheik View Post
    I personally don't buy the guide because predictions to me are pretty useless. Nothing to do with who is giving the predictions, it's just one (or a few) man's opinions. I use my own knowledge and research to come up with my own predictions. For example I don't need predictions for Ottawa players because they are often wrong in every media outlet.
    Remember everyone - Not BigEv
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    So you have something to read while you're sitting on the shitter at work?
    Best reply so far. And to be fair I enjoyed reading it last year, I only grew dismayed when I saw what putting the advice into action resulted in unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    This.
    If you expect any magazine or list of projections to be infallible, then nobody can help you. If that is the case, well, good luck in life because it sounds like you are fairly unintelligent.
    I've lost track of how many times I've said it now, you would think one of you chowderheads would have got it by now and explained to the others.
    I don't expect it to be infallible, I never said that, in fact I said quite the opposite. I do expect it to be better than a roll of the dice on any given player. Especially players in the top 50 or so who are crucial for the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    This guy does not feel the same way and expects a guide he uses to give him a winning team.
    Not at all, but I expect a lot more than 14/16 for something I paid good money for. I also expect most predictions of key players to be within 5 pts, 10 at most, not off by 20 or 30. If you're off that far then I'm, sorry but you don't know jack about jack when it comes to hockey no matter how many updates you make or articles you write.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    The Dobber guide is the collection of notes from most of the smarter students. Some of the other banks of notes/tests etc, you question the intelligence of some of these previous students.
    Oh my you certainly think a lot of yourselves don't you?! You're supposed to be the smart kids? You need to spend some time outside your echo chamber, wow, just wow!

Quote Originally Posted by LeTrefle View Post
    You don't win leagues with your draft.
    In what world is this ever true?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by stotan View Post
    TO the OP. Perhaps you're just shitty at fantasy hockey.

I don't say that as a joke. You can't simply rely on a guide to make up for your lack of intuition, insight and knowledge about the sport. Do your own research next time, and don't criticize someone else's.
    Hardly. I consistently finished in the top in this league, but just could never seem to win it, I'd always finish 3rd or 4th. After reading all the hype on this site I thought it was the extra push I needed to win the whole thing. Well I finished 14th, so I'll calling bullshit.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Hmmmm. Seems the OP's intent is to troll his own thread. I

actually... no... maybe you're right OP. Maybe The Fantasy Guide is garbage. In fact, maybe this entire site including the feedback you get in the forum is Garbage. If I was you... I'd leave this place and find a better Fantasy Hockey Source. No need to waste time. You have a CHAMPIONSHIP to track down!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by changeling87 View Post
    Hardly. I consistently finished in the top in this league, but just could never seem to win it, I'd always finish 3rd or 4th. After reading all the hype on this site I thought it was the extra push I needed to win the whole thing. Well I finished 14th, so I'll calling bullshit.
    Just curious, could you post the results of your draft?
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Monster

My results in fantasy were horrible before joining this site, took a year or two of talking with other fantasy hockey experts to gain traction and doubled my money last season through hockey pools. Collectively this site has helped me in that regard.

Some opinions you agree with, some you don't. But overall there are lots or smart people here. Just keep asking for advice and look at areas of your hockey knowledge game you need to improve.

Dobber Sports Deity

Buying a "guide" is just that, it's a guide. There's so many things to go into winning a hockey pool other than just reading a guide. You have to know the other GMs in your league and their tendencies (team homers, short-sighted drops, etc). You have to follow waiver wire fodder. You have to know when to trade and who to trade with and timing can be key.

There's so many things that go into winning hockey pools and it's not an exact science. The guide sets you up going into a season with knowledge. It's up to you to use that knowledge how you see fit. Sure, it's not perfect, nor is any other guide you buy but in my experience, it offers just as good advice as any other source out there, plus it gets updated regularly. How many others do that?

It's too bad you had a bad experience with the guide and Dobbers predictions. I would venture to say you are in the minority there but you have to realize, if you win or lose fantasy hockey pools doesn't fall on Dobber and his guide, it falls on you and your inability to change during the season as things go (injuries, slumps, things out of any of our control). That's the way I look at it. I use his guide as just that, a guide. I take that information and use it to my benefit and then use my own judgement from there. I suggest you do the same going forward.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    My results in fantasy were horrible before joining this site, took a year or two of talking with other fantasy hockey experts to gain traction and doubled my money last season through hockey pools. Collectively this site has helped me in that regard.

Some opinions you agree with, some you don't. But overall there are lots or smart people here. Just keep asking for advice and look at areas of your hockey knowledge game you need to improve.
    I would buy it to help the site. I think using the community as a resource is more valuable then any guide. Typically I buy guides to have fun reading the projections but by no means do I accept them as the gospel. I make calls based on expert knowledge, my knowledge and then my intuition.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky