Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Give me one good reason I should buy the Dobber Guide this season?

Administrator

Default Re: Give me one good reason I should buy the Dobber Guide this season?

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    "Give me one good reason I should buy the Dobber Guide this season?"
    My pretty mug is in it!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I have an offer changeling87, open a new thread and post your draft results along with those of the top 5 teams. Please also post a list of key trades or drops/adds you made over the year. I would be more than happy to examine the combination of your draft composition/strategy, your team management, and give you a non biased review of the general luck other managers received or that you stumbled into.

I think you are getting nothing done just hammering away at the predictions that you purchased and were not pleased with. The draft guide just allows you to not rank players yourself or to perform the tedious research of player predictions. There was still your drafting and management that led you to last place. Sorry, prediction accuracy alone did not result in last place performance.

Feel free to take me up on the offer to have a friend take a look at your draft/season perfromance to see where you can turn it around next season.

Steve

To answer the question of why I buy the guide.

I am from Arkansas and do not watch more than 10-20 games the entire season/playoffs
    I do not watch prospects in the minors develop and can not predict from names alone how the will perform in the NHL
    I have not played fantasy sports for me entire life just 5-6 years
    The projections have been much better than Yahoo projections that my fellow league mates draft from
    10 Team Yahoo Roto Keeper:Keep 6 each year
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G, 5BN

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

Keepers in Bold:

RW: Kucherov
    G: Helly

Dobber Sports Genius

Firstly, I don't buy the guide. I use this site for the forum and the rankings and I win more often then not. A lot of the rankings I do not agree with and have a laugh at some but I still go back to them. I like dobber rankings because I don't have any info or opinions on the up and coming prospects at all. I do not always need his advice on the top 50 players as I watch enough NHL hockey and read enough stats to draw my own conclusion and predictions. You either want to read his stuff in the guide knowing that he is far from right all the time or you don't. So to answer your question outside of the circlejerk, you should not buy dobbers guide because you want the majority of his predictions to be correct with your $30 and I highly doubt he can offer that even in a good year. Take for example: I could be wrong but his rankings change from month to month....thats what happens in sports.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Master

I think he claims to be right 51-52% of the time.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    I think he claims to be right 51-52% of the time.
    Personally I'm gunning for 53%.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Master

My wife tells me I am right 10% of the time, so there's good odds I'm wrong here.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    My wife tells me I am right 10% of the time, so there's good odds I'm wrong here.
    You get 10%?? Lucky man.

So far as the question, buy it if you have the disposable income and want another opinion on rankings and projections. Even if they're wrong, it's another well-informed perspective that might bring to light a few things you or other guides may have overlooked. Don't buy it if you don't think it'll be worth the money. Aside from Axe's suggestion of putting the question to Dobber directly, the best way to let him know you're not pleased with the quality is to not give him your money. Personally, I feel it's worth the money, and I feel like I get a lot of insight that I wouldn't pick up from elsewhere by reading it. I've improved my performance considerably in all my fantasy leagues since joining this site and reading the guides (my personal favorite being the Prospects Report, because it's the one I find to be the most unique) and forums. Dobber's guide is the only one I've read with a comprehensive look at a number of things, like the parts on the schedule (back-to-backs helps me decide which backups have most value, same night analysis gives me a look at who would make a better bench player to come in on off-nights), and it is definitely the deepest when it comes to prospect predictions.

At the end of the day, it's your money, and if you feel like it's not worthwhile, just don't buy it. If you feel like the forums are just an echo chamber that don't produce quality opinions, don't read them. Everything has a cost, whether it be monetary or simply opportunity cost of how you use your time. It's up to you to decide how to spend your time and money, most of those decisions are going to be made off of how you feel. So go with your gut, either you think something is worth doing/buying or not. There are a lot of people here who feel it's worthwhile, and has helped us; but if you don't feel the same, make the choice that you're comfortable with.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso