Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Give me one good reason I should buy the Dobber Guide this season?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thumbs down Give me one good reason I should buy the Dobber Guide this season?

I bought it last year and it was an epic fail (I finished 14/16 overall)

Seems to be lots of love for this years guide and no explanations for last years failure. For example:

Player/Predicted/Actual

Kane /73/106
    Kessel/81/59
    Ovechkin/85/71
    Stamkos/79/64
    Thornton/67/82
    Pavelski/66/78
    Kuznetsov/49/77

In a 1 year league these guys are mostly top round picks that can make or break your team. If it's only 5 pts off it's not a big deal usually, but these are off as much as 30 pts! How do you justify this Dobber?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Give me one good reason I should buy the Dobber Guide this season?

lol this post is hilarious.....it's like listening to hockey experts Stanley cup winner predictions in preseason and then completely discrediting them when their team doesn't make the playoffs.

It's not an exact science and you shouldn't take it as such.

The dobber guide is filled with a wealth of information for you to extract and apply as you see fit....it's not a dummies guide for fantasy hockey.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Rookie

I don't think anyone needs to convince you (other than maybe dobber himself).

I've bought it for the first time this year so I can't tell you how good or bad it is. That being said, its pretty well the only one that gets updated regularly, it has a lot of good info on lines, depth and interesting nuggets on things like advanced stats, team schedules etc.

The projections seem pretty reasonable but it can't see the future so you're not going to be bang on on everyone. I'm sure if you cherry picked projections from other guides you'd find some pretty terrible ones too.

Banned

I personally don't buy the guide because predictions to me are pretty useless. Nothing to do with who is giving the predictions, it's just one (or a few) man's opinions. I use my own knowledge and research to come up with my own predictions. For example I don't need predictions for Ottawa players because they are often wrong in every media outlet.

The Wolverine

To support the site.

I find it a good read regardless of whether the predictions come true or not. This site provides more than just fantasy hockey advice so I'm buying it every year to help Dobber keep this community going.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
    I'm sure if you cherry picked projections from other guides you'd find some pretty terrible ones too.
    Who's cherry picking anything? I posted guys that I either took or passed on last season that screwed my team. For example, I took Kessel over Kane, that's turned out to be almost a 50 pt difference. You can't win a league with mistakes that big.

It's not that there's just a few screw ups, no one's perfect, that's to be expected its that it was one after the other of often major names

Player/Predicted/Actual
    Burns/53/75
    Giroux/79/67
    Voracek/76/55
    MacKinnon/67/52
    Nyquist/61/43
    Panarin/20/77!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    To support the site.

I find it a good read regardless of whether the predictions come true or not. This site provides more than just fantasy hockey advice so I'm buying it every year to help Dobber keep this community going.
    Huh? You'd rather support a site that gives bad advice than win your pool? And you pay for the right to do that? Sorry, does not compute!

Dobber Sports Pro

I bought the guide and lost before too, I didn't give up or complain. They are just projections. It is the best one to buy as it is the most updated and I think more work goes into it that the other ones printed in August.

I had a friend win the most complicated/random pool I am in by using a guide from the previous year, a majority of his players just hit that year. It happens.
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by changeling87 View Post
    Who's cherry picking anything? I posted guys that I either took or passed on last season that screwed my team. For example, I took Kessel over Kane, that's turned out to be almost a 50 pt difference. You can't win a league with mistakes that big.

It's not that there's just a few screw ups, no one's perfect, that's to be expected its that it was one after the other of often major names

Player/Predicted/Actual
    Burns/53/75
    Giroux/79/67
    Voracek/76/55
    MacKinnon/67/52
    Nyquist/61/43
    Panarin/20/77!

- - - Updated - - -

Huh? You'd rather support a site that gives bad advice than win your pool? And you pay for the right to do that? Sorry, does not compute!
    It's not about being right 100% of the time. That will never happen. The site and the guide are to be able to help you learn about the players on a more in depth level. Then you can draw your own conclusions, notice your own trends, and make your own wise decisions/predictions.
    If anyone was right 100% of the time, or even 80% of the time, it would take the whole fun out of the fantasy sport. Dobber's guide and community has a wealth of information, that when used, will help you bump up your league rankings. Injuries, bad luck, and bad decisions are inevitable. The Dobber guide just helps you make less.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by changeling87 View Post

Player/Predicted/Actual
    Burns/53/75
    Giroux/79/67
    Voracek/76/55
    MacKinnon/67/52
    Nyquist/61/43
    Panarin/20/77!

- - - Updated - - -

It's a great resource and I look beyond a few incorrect predictions (nobody has a crystal ball) as they put a lot of effort into creating, and regularly updating, this guide to try and help us. Nobody is perfect, and it does more than just give predictions.

Furthermore, there's more to the site than the guide. I'm willing to pay a small amount each year to ensure this community continues to provide me an outlet to enjoy this hobby.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

if Dobber could predict the future that accurately he wouldn't be wasting his time on a fantasy hockey website.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    It's not about being right 100% of the time. That will never happen. The site and the guide are to be able to help you learn about the players on a more in depth level. Then you can draw your own conclusions, notice your own trends, and make your own wise decisions/predictions.
    If anyone was right 100% of the time, or even 80% of the time, it would take the whole fun out of the fantasy sport. Dobber's guide and community has a wealth of information, that when used, will help you bump up your league rankings. Injuries, bad luck, and bad decisions are inevitable. The Dobber guide just helps you make less.
    You assume that I'm not capable of making my own decisions and rely entirely on the guide. But regardless, it's a great resource and I look beyond a few incorrect predictions (nobody has a crystal ball). They put a lot of effort into creating, and regularly updating, this guide to try and help us. Nobody is perfect, and it does more than just give predictions.

Furthermore, there's more to the site than the guide. I'm willing to pay a small amount each year to ensure this community continues to provide me an outlet to enjoy this hobby.

What the hell are you guys talking about? I said multiple times I didn't expect it to be 100% correct, that's not at all my point. My point is that there were many many epic failures in the guide from last year and I'd be very surprised if anyone won anything if they based their decisions off it.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I have had way better win percentages with Dobber's Guide help than without. For the $30 or more dollars I spend on here every year for the last 5 plus years it is a small investment to pay for winning something every year. Some years are better than others but most years are positive for me. This is the only guide updated after its first release, it is more in depth than anything on store shelves. You just won't get the same information in the $10 over the counter magazines. They lack the in depth analysis of the prospects on each team, the realistic depth charts the are in the guide are top notch. This guide isn't sugar coated in any way. It is simply the straight to the point, in your face, wealth of information that you will need in order to succeed in any hockey pool you encounter. There will be misses along the way which you can't predict but they happen but there will be many more hits that will make you look like a mad genius that just sat in your parents basement reading encyclopedia britannica front to back and back to front for the entire hockey season. Any schmuck can predict Kessel to get 35 goals by just looking at his last 5 seasons and look like a winner but the true hockey pool predictors are the ones who tell you that last year Cam Atkinson was projected for 24 goals plus 25 assists for 49 points and a sleeper for 60 points and then Atkinson goes out and gets 27 goals plus 26 assists for 53 points...to me that is pretty decent production considering those were both career highs in goals and points and lines up well to the prediction. Another simple example is Boone Jenner was predicted for 17 goals and 39 points and smashed that with a whopping 30 goals. How many paperbacks out there predicted that? My point is this: Kessel, Crosby, Ovechkin, Karlsson will always help you win if they have a good year but you win hockey pools by picking the lesser know players just the same. Anyone can draft Crosby 1st overall but then what?
    A famous actor once said "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it." That is why I pay for Dobber's information. He and his crew do all the work and I get the end result to read and digest and let it ride. If you have to have people like me convince you to buy the guide then I say to you, convince me why you haven't bought it yet you cheapo!

The Wolverine

You asked to give you one reason why you should buy the guide and I gave you a reason, since it's the reason I buy it.

I would expect most people who buy it knows that there will be some misses - that's the game we play. Nobody knows what's going to happen, even with a few big name players. I would also expect that people who buy it won't rely on it completely, have other resources and use their own knowledge. There will be some players that will shock each year. That doesn't mean the guide is not useful, it just means this sport can be unpredictable and we need to take predictions with a grain of salt.

This guide does far more than just give predictions, and is likely the best out there because of all its in depth reviews, articles and regular updates.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I think you are delusional burnsy, at least about last season. I ran the numbers against several other major guides that my league mates used last season. I would have made the playoffs with every one, not finished 14th

Dobber Sports Sophomore

You asked to give you one reason why you should buy the guide and I gave you a reason, since it's the reason I buy it.
    OK, fair enough, you think it's important to support the site, even if it does make awful predictions. I can't pretend to understand that, but you're right you did answer the question.

I would expect most people who buy it knows that there will be some misses - that's the game we play. Nobody knows what's going to happen, even with a few big name players. I would also expect that people who buy it won't rely on it completely, have other resources and use their own knowledge. There will be some players that will shock each year. That doesn't mean the guide is not useful, it just means this sport can be unpredictable and we need to take predictions with a grain of salt.
    OK guys seriously. You keep repeating this over and over again like its a chant or something. I never said once I expect it to be perfect, in fact I clearly said the exact opposite, so why do you keep repeating this as if I'm somehow not grasping that part of it? We're not talking about a few little shocks though, we're talking about big names and big picks from the first 3 rounds. Those are the guys who form the cornerstone of your team so when you crap the bed on those, its pretty much a lost cause, that's the point I am making.

This guide does far more than just give predictions, and is likely the best out there because of all its in depth reviews, articles and regular updates.
    It does yes, but if all that in depth reviews and analysis is bunk too? Then how is it any more valuable? Just because you have more of something that is of poor quality doesn't make it better for you does it?