Thread: Rate these Defense prospects

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Rate these Defense prospects

Could you please rank these defense prospects according to long term offensive potential?

Any extra insight would be greatly appreciated...

Brendan Smith
    Raymond Macias
    Oskars Bartulis
    T.J. Brennan
    Colby Cohen
    P.K. Subban
    Ty Wishart
    Josh Godfrey
    Mathieu Carle

Thanks in advance.

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re:Rate these Defense prospects

It\'s hard to rank these guys, because potential is only one factor. So I\'ll list them in rank of potential, as you asked, but I\'ll asterix ones who are a little more than questionable on their own end.

1. Oskars Bartulis
    2. Brendan Smith
    3. Mathieu Carle %
    4. P.K. Subban *
    5. Josh Godfrey *
    6. Ty Wishart
    7. Colby Cohen #
    8. Raymond Macias
    9. TJ Brennan

*=Poor defensively
    %=Questionable ethic/attitude
    #=both of the above

Dobber has Wishart listed with a 60 point upside, which I feel is higher than Josh Godfrey\'s, but I think Wishart will be pushed to be more of a defensive player who can pitch in at times. The sharks have enough project PPQB type players, so I see his upside more around 45. That said, I think Wishart WILL hit that, whereas I don\'t think Godfrey will be more than a Ric Jackman - type player at best. Potentially an Andy Delmore. Same kind of thinking goes for Subban, although at times I\'ve seen him play decent defense, so I think there\'s hope for him. Plus, in Montreal\'s system, he could actually flourish.
    Mathieu Carle could be really good, but he never seems to be going at 100%, ever. He\'s frustrating, because I know he\'s capable of much more, but I don\'t see the necessary drive in him. That said, his play during the playoffs was promising.

Post edited by: lockedge, at: 2007/08/07 02:14
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Tough list to rank. They\'re all so intriguing.

1. Ty Wishart- The best from the list right now. Could crack San Jose this season with the same impact Vlasic had, although he\'d be doing his best work at the other end.

2. Brendan Smith- Has all the makings of the next Scott Niedermayer. Incredible skater, big-time offensive instincts, great hands and good size. He just needs to play defense on a consistent basis.

3. Raymond Macias- Exploded from a developmental standpoint. Added the other end of the ice to his game, and as he\'s 21 in the fall, he has to take the next step- and he\'s ready.

4. T.J. Brennan- Going to surprise a lot of people. Two-way game is top-notch. He literally does everything- he can hit like a truck, dangle, and play defense. I don\'t know why he slipped so far.

5. Oskars Bartulis- I don\'t think he\'s physically ready yet, but he has improved in that regard. Going to be a very good player if he does.

6. P.K. Subban- Loads of questions here, but he has the vitals down- speed, muscle and offensive instincts. I like him just on what his potential alone.

7. Mathieu Carle- Has only improved offensively, and looks to have all the pieces to transition easily to the pros. Still underrated simply because he\'s not flashy.

8. Josh Godfrey- There\'s no question that he\'s a gifted powerplay quarterback, and the intangibles are there. Just needs to prove this year was not a fluke.

9. Colby Cohen- So much potential, but he easily is the darkest horse on this list. His attitude is terrible.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Bugg\'s
    Nice post... thanx for the info.
    Well done as usual.
    Yahoo Keeper Team - STD Cats
    C- Thornton, Backstrom, Kesler, Turris, Savard
    L- Vanek, Burrows, Hartnell, Lucic , Leino
    R- Brown, Pavelski, Ericksson, Holmstrom, Little
    D- Chara, Rafalski, Weber, Edler, Letang, Bieksa,
    G- H. Lundqvist, Miller, Rinne,

Prospects- Bowmman CAR, Glennie DAL, LeBlanc MTL, Ferraro DET, Tangradi PIT, Yip COL, Kuznetsov WAS, Neuvirth WAS

League Champion 07, 08, 09,

Dobber Sports Rookie

Lockedge and Mr. Bugg

I love this site...

Thanks so much for the very informative posts guys...

They will help immensely.

Cheers!