Thread: Need D help

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Need D help

So I generally do reasonably well drafting forwards and goalies, but I seem to struggle drafting D. 10 team, keep 27, point only, almost impossible to trade for a good defenseman.

For our draft I pick at 2, 6, 13, 15 in the first two rounds. Generally with 270 keepers the quality falls off quickly after top 18 y/o's and any unexpected NHLers get drafted (no mid season additions, draft only)

So 2 is earmarked for Laine and despite my need for D that's not changing
    6 is where I need to go D, and ideally one who can contribute this year and going forward, best candidates seem to be Parayko/Ekholm

If I want Parayko it needs to be 6, otherwise I suspect he goes at 8.

If Parayko is off the board I may be able to flip 13/15 for 8 if there's someone I like at that point. I wouldn't mind picking a young D knowing i likely have to wait it out a few years, at this moment thinking maybe Sergachev, but open to suggestion

The guy picking 7 tends to evaluate D well, so may end up taking a D at that point.

So basically just looking for any input on younger D, if I should maybe take a chance on two younger D at 13/15 vs a more highly touted one at 8 if I could make that trade. Is Parayko at 6 the right call if I'm committed to going D at that spot. Open to all feedback and discussion, good or bad.

The Great One

Default Re: Need D help

would depend who is on the list though? Is the likes of Theodore going to be there?
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports All-Star

If the guys like Theo and Honka are not available then Parayko at 6 is good and then either Sergachev or Juolevi at 8. Not sure if Lindell is available either because it looks like Dallas is eager to give him a shot this year. Getting Parakyo and Sergachev would be a nice haul though.

Dobber Sports Titan

If Ekholm slips to your 13 pick then I would be happy to pick him there. He reminds me a lot of Josi from a few years ago when Josi was stuck behind Weber/Suter.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    If the guys like Theo and Honka are not available then Parayko at 6 is good and then either Sergachev or Juolevi at 8. Not sure if Lindell is available either because it looks like Dallas is eager to give him a shot this year. Getting Parakyo and Sergachev would be a nice haul though.
    Theodore has been owned for a few years, Honka is also unavailable. The guy picking 7 seemed disappointed at a prior draft when another guy snagged Honka, so if he had intentions of another young D, he may go that way at 7 which would be my only risk if I were able to trade to be picking at 6 and 8

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    would depend who is on the list though? Is the likes of Theodore going to be there?
    Theodore has been unavailable for a few years. Parayko is the most obvious name. Last year was Klingberg who wasn't owned, broke out, and then went 5th overall. We have a few guys who draft D much better than I do, the guy with gostisbehere (sp?) a few years back when he drafted him he wasn't even on my radar as a consideration for that draft.

Ekholm is more likely to slide than Parayko because of depth in Nashville, originally I was hoping to land both Parayko/Ekholm, what I'm wondering now is am I better off landing Parayko/Sergachev if I can make that happen. I think I have a 99% chance at Parayko. If I keep both 2nd round picks at 13/15 I suspect I miss Sergachev, but may be able to take Ekholm and someone else still available, possible list would be Montour/Sanheim/Lindell/other 2016 draft pick? Bean? Girard?

So basically with how hard the top D are to get, is it worth it to make a move to land Parakyo/Sergachev or hold on to my picks and go for 3 of the other names mentioned knowing i likely miss Sergachev.

Dobber Sports Superstar

does someone own Provorov already? Werenski?
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FOW(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SO(4)

C: Zibanejad,
    Trocheck,Kempe
    L: Draisaitl,Forsberg
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shesterkin,Kotchetkov

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    Also very good questions. Because they're right up there with Parayko in terms of upside.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

prospect d can be a crap shot but depends on your ability to keep them past this year whether you take them un the first instance? otherwise I take what can help me this year even if they only end up as trade bait at the deadline

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Both owned

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by brett_c_b View Post
    Both owned
    Figured; Nikita Zaitsev? He is 24 and signed one year deal with Toronto so he is basically coming right on board; dude can skate. Prob not on anyone's radar.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FOW(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SO(4)

C: Zibanejad,
    Trocheck,Kempe
    L: Draisaitl,Forsberg
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shesterkin,Kotchetkov

The Great One

I'm going he's owned...

Santini?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Figured; Nikita Zaitsev? He is 24 and signed one year deal with Toronto so he is basically coming right on board; dude can skate. Prob not on anyone's radar.
    Zaitsev is available, don't think he's off the radar though, at least one guy in the league tends to be pretty familiar with the Russians, I had him penciled in to look at, but not in rounds 1/2

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    I'm going he's owned...

Santini?
    not owned, can't say I know anything about him

The Great One

more of a multi cat guy so if your league counts them he may be worth an add... Hulmstrom if you can wait a while... I'm guessing Sanheim is gone... but maybe Ethan Bear if you can wait a while again