Thread: 2008 World Juniors

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default 2008 World Juniors

Who will stand out this year? In our league these players tend to get over valued and could make for good trade bait.

I...am your father.

Default Re:2008 World Juniors

Good strategy - I never thought of that, but now that you mention it, Ryan O\'Marra shot up in value because of it and now it is clear he\'ll never be a 65-point guy. Stanislav Lascek is likely a bust, and he dominated the WJC.

This year - I haven\'t looked at it yet, but the Summit Series will give you a good preview. Maybe Bugg will read this and have some insight...
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Initiate

Interesting strategy, but strange because I use the WJC to find studs early... All the future stars run through there... and you can usually tell in this tourney who\'s game is going to translate into a good NHL game and who\'s isn\'t.

The difference is that they are playing with the best players in their age against the best players in their agegroup.... whereas in CHL or College Hockey you can get a guy on a stacked team or viceversa and it can really affect their point production, confidence, playing time etc. And for me it\'s my first chance to get a really good look at these players... the Canada Russia series is another decent opportunity...
    "I mean technically, I could say that every defender's upside is 80 points and never 'lose my house.'"
    - lanky 522

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I moved Patrice Bergeron and some other players for Kiprusoff during the 2005 WJC.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Rookie

This is my strategy....I have a strong team to win this year. So instead of picking up any mid/low level NHL players in the draft I can target some juniors with late picks that could get lots of hype during the tournament. Come January package this player(s) with draft picks to a rebuilding team to strengthen any weakness I may have.

This think this would have worked well last year with someone like Letang.

Any ideas for this year?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Well, yeah, it definitely would have worked well for someone like Letang, but at the same time I would LOVE to have Letang sitting in my farm system right now, especially since he will be with the Penguins. It works both ways, you are getting immediate help, but you are not necessarily giving up somebody who is overhyped, you may be giving up someone who should be a stud in the future (Letang is a perfect example).

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

ive used this strategy when the guys in the WJC were more grinders like tootoo that people were in love with and then you can move them out while the price is high before they turn into 4th liners...just have to make sure that you make the right judements or you could get screwed

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Very good strategy. I\'m going to put together a list of guys I think have a shot for their respective countries and relay that information either here or in an article.