Thread: First Fantasy Football draft, about 2 hours of study work, how did I do?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default First Fantasy Football draft, about 2 hours of study work, how did I do?

Hello All,

My fellow hockey league guys decided we would start a small 8 team FF pool. It will be a keep 3 league (this was a last minute choice 30 minutes before the draft) Three or four guys play multiple fantasy sports, however, I have only played hockey until now.

I spent 2 hours ranking players and went WR early and often as that seemed to be the best approach with such limited prep time. I drafted 3rd in a snake draft. I have a few minor injury concerns I think but everything looks ok. The Yahoo draft projections had me @ number 1. That is why I wanted a few more experienced players to look over my roster. Any input for me?

Here is my roster:
    1. (3) Julio Jones (Atl - WR)
    2. (14) A.J. Green (Cin - WR)
    3. (19) Jordy Nelson (GB - WR)
    4. (30) Sammy Watkins (Buf - WR)
    5. (35) Russell Wilson (Sea - QB)
    6. (46) Jeremy Maclin (KC - WR)
    7. (51) Carson Palmer (Ari - QB)
    8. (62) Carlos Hyde (SF - RB)
    9. (67) Jamaal Charles (KC - RB)
    10. (78) Coby Fleener (NO - TE)
    11. (83) Kansas City (KC - DEF)
    12. (94) Giovani Bernard (Cin - RB)
    13. (99) Justin Tucker (Bal - K)
    14. (110) Tyler Eifert (Cin - TE)
    15. (115) Jeremy Langford (Chi - RB)

In all honesty I do not watch much NFL anymore and do not even know who some of these players are. This was just a exercise of ranking players from several websites and averaging them and adjusted them to yahoo rankings. I did take the time to pre-rank more yahoo list which was really helpful.
    Last edited by hipcheck; September 4, 2016 at 1:08 AM. Reason: spelling, duh
    10 Team Yahoo Roto Keeper:Keep 6 each year
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G, 5BN

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

Keepers in Bold:

RW: Kucherov
    G: Helly

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: First Fantasy Football draft, about 2 hours of study work, how did I do?

I think you got carried away with the WRs there bud. Five in your first six picks is not judicious. You also took a backup QB before you drafted a RB.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: First Fantasy Football draft, about 2 hours of study work, how did I do?

Yeah, maybe I didn't notice that while the timer was ticking down, LOL

There seemed to be several RB staying on the board and I was meh on TE positions.

W, GAA, SV%, SO

Keepers in Bold:

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I love your WR's and QB's, but the RB's are just ok to me.. Charles and Hyde might both miss time at the start of the season.. I am a fan of G.Bernard this season!! I really like Fleener aswell!!

It's tough to predict how you will do just because it is an 8 team league and I'm sure most of the teams are really strong like yours!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Expert

Charles at 67? Wow, I know he will be limited week 1 but that's ridiculous. If it's PPR I'd say you had a solid draft but could have backed off WR after the first 3. Wilson was also unnecessary to reach for that early with only 8 teams. You could have waitedone a few rounds and got a very solid signal caller. In an 8 team league though, it's unnecessary to have 2 QBs unless it is a start 2.

Dobber Sports Titan

If it’s a PPR, you’re golden. If it’s a 3WR, FLEX, omg. I’d look to trade Maclin for L.Murray if you could depending on what your positions are for this league. Maybe see if adding Palmer would get it done, as people have said you don’t need 2QBs.

If it’s a PPR league, you’ll run away with it. Julio and Green are the only options really for their teams, and Wilson will be throwing a fair bit this yr, and running on his own. No Lynch to steal TDs, and knowing not to force Graham to begin the yr, and WR a yr old, He’s a top QB this yr. But you….in an 8teamer, you didn’t really need to reach on a QB. But it happened and you got a great QB.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thank you for the feedback guys!

I now am aware that 2 good QB's are not needed. I am trying to package my 5th WR and QB for a running back.
    We are keeping 3 players next season, which is something that was mentioned maybe 1 hour before the draft. That is why I went with some WR and QB early.

Several of my players are coming off injuries. We will see how that works out for me. Maybe some value while others stayed away from them, maybe it blows up in my face?

W, GAA, SV%, SO

Keepers in Bold:

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I would probably package Jordy Nelson with someone in a trade offer for a RB to try and maximize your return. I'm not as high on Nelson as some are but I've seen a few people upset they didn't get him in drafts so he might have a fairly high cachet with people,
    14 Team Head to Head(Fantrax)
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-1 SKATER-6 or 7 BENCH
    Salary Cap-$119,250.000

C-N Backstrom/R Johansen/A Kempe/S Monahan
    LW-J Guentzel-J Huberdeau-C-N Niederreiter
    RW-B Boeser-P Buchnevich-K Fiala-T Wilson
    Skater-Z Smith
    D-J Carlson-J Faulk-S Johns-M Matheson-R Ristolainen-M Stone
    BENCH-A Burakovsky-N Goldobin-O Kase-J Puljujarvi-R-J Vrana-M Mueller
    G-F Andersen-J Quick-B Elliot-J Saros

Prospects:
    J Ang-J F Karlsson-D Gambrell-F Gauthier-J Kyrou-T-A Bjork-I Chekhovich-E Cernak-D-J Larsson-J Schmaltz
    V Husso-J Oettinger

2018 DRAFT-SELECTING 9TH
    Noah Dobson-Jake Wise-Akil Thomas-Jonathan Tychonick-Blake McLaughlin

Dobber Sports Titan

Ya, I prefer my WR with 2 ACLs, or 1ACL and under 30yrs old. I think people are super high on Nelson, and I just don’t see him going back to elite status.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll