Thread: Callahan and Howard

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Callahan and Howard

Opinion on the value of Ryan Callahan and Jimmy Howard in the league in my signature? I don't like either of their salaries or age. I think Howard would have more value if traded and he could get a starting gig somewhere of course. I think Callahan is a good multi category contributor. Would either be a good trade target for my team? Or not worth the salary/age risk to production ratio?
    Column writer at @GoaliePost

https://goaliepost.com/

An avid Chicago sports fan. Craft beer connoisseur. Fantasy sports addict.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Callahan and Howard

This largely depends what you have to give up for them. If you could buy them really low then it is definitely worth the risk. but if you have to pay market price for them, I would not make the deal.

IE - if you can trade Vladar for Howard. then I would make the deal.

IF you have to trade Saros + Hutton for Howard, I would not make the deal.

The Great One

Add 'poor health' to Callahan's bio, will he even be ready to start the season?

In salary cap leagues, I wouldn't touch these guys unless the acquisition cost is dirt cheap.

What is your cap situation even like? How much room do you have?

Dobber Sports Sage

Both are negative net value in a cap league. Basically no chance either of them can outperform their bloated salaries. The guy who owns them is hoping you are a schmuck and will take them off his hands based on ancient history of good play. No NHL GM is dumb enough to trade for Howard without a massive amount of salary being retained by the original team. What team really needs a starting goalie at this point? With Fleury and Bishop obviously on the block at similar cap hits to Howard, I see little chance he doesnt play out his current deal in Detroit backing up Mrazek.

I have about 8m in cap space left.

Dobber Sports Pro

Ew. Don't touch either. You could better spend that $8M on other players out there

Callahan is declining very fast, and his multi-cat production is taking a hit now. Howard just stinks no matter where he gets traded too
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    Ew. Don't touch either. You could better spend that $8M on other players out there

Callahan is declining very fast, and his multi-cat production is taking a hit now. Howard just stinks no matter where he gets traded too
    I agree with this.

The Great One

I love a buy low but I don't think they outperform their cap hit so makes it unworthwhile
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I don't agree with this line of thinking. Leave the bad contracts on someone elses team. If you want a good buy low player - make an offer on Lehner in Buffalo. He'll cost you half as much now as he would have 12mths ago.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont care how much cap space you have today, you have to think further ahead than just today and both Howard and Callahan have multiple years left on their contracts. Four years remaining for Callahan and three remaining for Howard.

I'd avoid both even if they are adding to either player for you to take them. Why bring someone elses trash into your kitchen.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Do not touch either player. Cap space is your friend. Be patient and jump on opportunities for easy trades for players that are actually worth their cost.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Yeah, I agree with the risk of owning either. I was going to try to get a prospect coupled with one of them.

The Great One

Just for context I'm in cap hell after winning it all and had to shed some salary and some GMs got some amazing deals off me cause they had room (making sure I a) didn't strengthen any one team too much and b) started with the bottom feeders first) so I would never waste it in case it takes you out of those kind of deals
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Administrator

The other angle is if you have any championship aspirations then you have to spend your cap dollars better than all other teams in your league. Even if these two fit in your budget and improve your team initially they will hinder your team's overall upside and hurt your chances of winning.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Too many years left for these guys contracts. While it's possible Howard lands in Las Vegas, and it works out, it's a lot to pin one's hopes on. If you want to burn a little cap room on an overpriced player, make sure they have no more than 2 years left on their deals.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.