Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Babcock: Marner has "real good chance to make the Leafs"

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Babcock: Marner has "real good chance to make the Leafs"

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2016/...ce-make-leafs/

Interesting piece. I thought it was notable that Babcock isnt buying the idea that Marner is too tiny to stick with the Leafs this year.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Babcock: Marner has "real good chance to make the Leafs"

I remember an interview with Marner after the Mem. Cup where he said he ws close to 170lbs. That's 8lbs more than what he's listed on hockeydb. There's a solid list of top end players that never went above 180lbs in their careers and I think they did okay. Datsyuk, Gilmour, Kane to name but 3, Ehlers is also 172lbs.

If he wasn't a Leaf, his size would not be front page news every other day.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sage

Yeah I think if he shows he can hang in there physically during his 9 games at the beginning of the season, they have plans to keep him around. Another season of ridiculous domination in the OHL doesnt seem to make a lot of sense. How do you get stronger and learn how to play against men in a boys league? You have to think the strength and conditioning program at the NHL level and the better nutrition available in a major league atmosphere will pay dividends.

Dobber Sports Titan

Watching him play in London, he will be like Gaudreau. Size won't matter, his skill and smarts will. I like him to start producing this season.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Watching him play in London, he will be like Gaudreau. Size won't matter, his skill and smarts will. I like him to start producing this season.
    I've been on board with that belief all along. Leafs have a beautiful three headed monster with Marner, Nylander & Matthews - the MNM line. He's going to a real dynamic high end player.

Dobber Sports Master

And I'm excited for two reasons:
    A) I'm a Leafs fan, and
    B) I own Marner in my keeper league.

Keep the good news coming.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

The Great One

I always wonder why teams in this situation (ok maybe not this exact one) don't use the Swiss league more often like Matthews did - Marner shouldn't go back to the O but I'm not convinced I see him sticking (in fairness to Babcock he has a history of saying the right thing so I can't decide if this is just that...)
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Coming out of the CHL - and being Leafs property, I'm pretty sure he is not eligible to go play over seas. Matthews was undrafted and not committed to the CHL when he made his decision, which made him the exception to the rule

The Great One

even if they loan him? TBH I have ever looked into the exact rules but as I say always seems an odd one so there probably is some sort of rule covering that off

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    even if they loan him? TBH I have ever looked into the exact rules but as I say always seems an odd one so there probably is some sort of rule covering that off
    If you get drafted out of major junior you have to play in that league until you make the NHL. It's about the business of junior hockey and the CHL has an agreement with the NHL

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    They can't loan him. Leafs were able to loan Nylander & Andreas Johnson to teams in Sweden after signing them to entry level deals because they both played in that league during junior eligibility. Same way Edm was able to send a prospect on loan back to the KHL last week, he previously played in that league.

Marner has only ever played in the OHL and is not AHL eligible - still has jr. eligibility. Leafs only have two options with him - London or Toronto.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    They can't loan him. Leafs were able to loan Nylander & Andreas Johnson to teams in Sweden after signing them to entry level deals because they both played in that league during junior eligibility. Same way Edm was able to send a prospect on loan back to the KHL last week, he previously played in that league.

Marner has only ever played in the OHL and is not AHL eligible - still has jr. eligibility. Leafs only have two options with him - London or Toronto.
    They probably can't but then again the NHL would do anything for the Leafs so who knows. Plus the Leafs have Lamoriello.

I loved Marner at the Mem Cup and WJC but I was disappointed in his showing this week at the WJC Summer Showcase.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Stud

I thought Marner played well during the WJC Summer Showcase. He was the most dangerous player on Canada against Sweden and at times looked like he was toying with the Swedes. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Leafs keep him past the 9 game mark.
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bulls View Post
    I thought Marner played well during the WJC Summer Showcase. He was the most dangerous player on Canada against Sweden and at times looked like he was toying with the Swedes. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Leafs keep him past the 9 game mark.
    Book it.

The Great One

I'll take that bet