Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays acquire Melvin Upton Jr

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Blue Jays acquire Melvin Upton Jr

Pretty much kiss Jose Bautista goodbye now.

http://www.scout.com/mlb/rumors/stor...elvin-upton-jr

Melvin Upton Jr. is switching teams once again, as he heads to Canada.

The Toronto Blue Jays have reached a deal with the San Diego Padres to acquire outfielder Melvin Upton Jr., according to a report from Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com. Rosenthal adds that the Padres will receive an unknown Class-A prospect in return for Upton Jr., but financial terms of the trade are not yet known.

The 31-year-old Virginia native is due $15.45 million this year and $16.45 million next year, so it is assumed that the Padres will have to take on a good amount of that contract. Yesterday, Rosenthal had reported that the Blue Jays were the "front-runners" to land his services and the Cleveland Indians and the Baltimore Orioles were also interested, as Tyler Jennings of Scout.com wrote yesterday.

Upton Jr. has enjoyed a breakout 2016 campaign with San Diego, slashing .256/.304/.439 over 374 plate appearances, along with 16 home runs, 11 doubles, two triples and 45 runs batted in, in 92 games played. This season, Upton Jr. has also had a way for the theatrics, contributing three walk-off home runs this year alone, as all of them occurred in the first half of the season.

During the previous three seasons with the Atlanta Braves and the Padres, he appeared in 354 games, hitting just .209/.287/.335 over 1256 plate appearances, along with 26 home runs, 45 doubles, nine triples and 78 runs batted in, in 354 games played. Over his 12-year-career that started out with the Tampa Bay Rays, followed by the Braves and Padres, he owns a disheartening .245/.323/.404 slash line over 5693 plate appearances, along with 160 home runs, 258 doubles, 31 triples and 570 runs batted in, in 1412 games played.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Blue Jays acquire Melvin Upton Jr

Well he adds a lefty bat to the lineup. But I think this also kissing Saunders goodbye too. If it every gets released that the Padres are only paying for this season, and Jays get the full contract next year….oh god.

Don’t know how much I like this trade. He at least adds speed, and may be used as last yrs Pompey in the playoffs a fair bit…if they make it. Hate to think Ezequiel is the one this guy is replacing, maybe it’ll be a BP arm that gets sent down to make room.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Saunders or Bautista; one wont be back. This trade is just as much about this year as it is next year. For all I know, neither will be back depending on the cost.

For this year, put Upton in the outfield, let Bautista slip to DH (he's a liability in the field now) and put Edwin back at 1B.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

Any word if they're going add anything to the bullpen?

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Any word if they're going add anything to the bullpen?
    Yep, and his name is Aaron Sanchez.

Dobber Sports Titan

I bet we move an MI now for BP/SP help.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Saunders or Bautista; one wont be back. This trade is just as much about this year as it is next year. For all I know, neither will be back depending on the cost.

For this year, put Upton in the outfield, let Bautista slip to DH (he's a liability in the field now) and put Edwin back at 1B.
    This.

Yep, and his name is Aaron Sanchez.
    And this.

I think this is Shapiro and Atkins' way of bypassing the inflated pitching market and once again hoping that we can bash the other teams into oblivion. Upton adds a solid element of speed and he has the potential to hit for power. I could see them viewing him as a leadoff type. His OBP is meh but he might get more quality pitches to look at with the gauntlet running behind him, and this would take Bautista out of the 1 spot and put him in a position where he's more likely to see better success/productivity.

It wouldn't surprise me if all 3 of Saunders, Bautista, and Edwin walk at the end of the year. But **** next year, let's focus on this year for the time being. The window is now to be a true World Series contender. Next year they will still be competitive, but nowhere on the scale of this year. And quite frankly at this point I don't think relief pitching is a major concern now more so than starting pitching. I could see the last addition being a bottom end starter...which would be a slap in the face to Hutchison but I don't think they feel comfortable with him in the rotation. Ideally they'd be able to acquire a #3 or #4 type arm.

Grilli Sanchez Cecil Morales Chavez Biagini Osuna....Morales likely wins out a spot just because he's a lefty.

Smoak Thole Carrera Barney on the bench, Goins is the odd man out I think.

Overall I'm ok with the trade. Like Axe said it takes Bautista out of the field where he truly is a liability (been saying it for awhile, his main redeeming quality out there was his arm and after shoulder injuries it's not what it used to be).

And I don't think moving MI for SP or BP help makes any sense unless the piece moving out from here is Travis, which would be a big time gamble.

Edit: Apparently Padres paying a "substantial sum" of Upton's contract. Good news.

Dobber Sports Deity

I can see them re-signing Edwin. Not sure about Saunders and Bautista though.

Right now, I can see them trying to trade Bautista for pitching help, but we all know he holds all the cards so a trade is a long-shot IMO. He will more than likely play the year out and find a new home next year, not unless he is now willing to come back to earth on his asking price.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I can see them re-signing Edwin. Not sure about Saunders and Bautista though.

Right now, I can see them trying to trade Bautista for pitching help, but we all know he holds all the cards so a trade is a long-shot IMO. He will more than likely play the year out and find a new home next year, not unless he is now willing to come back to earth on his asking price.
    I think Edwin is as good as gone to the Red Sox. Too much jockeying on their part and Ortiz has clearly been in his ear for awhile. Jays had a shot to re-sign him if they prioritized him prior to this season instead of focusing on Bautista negotiations. I think they might have played their hand wrong on this one.

And I disagree about trading Bautista for pitching help. It just doesn't make any sense, for the same reason why trading MI for pitching doesn't make sense either. Any team that would be interested in acquiring the likes of Bautista or Barney etc. would be playoff teams that are looking to add. None of those teams would be willing to part with pitching, especially given the inflated market.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I think Edwin is as good as gone to the Red Sox. Too much jockeying on their part and Ortiz has clearly been in his ear for awhile. Jays had a shot to re-sign him if they prioritized him prior to this season instead of focusing on Bautista negotiations. I think they might have played their hand wrong on this one.

And I disagree about trading Bautista for pitching help. It just doesn't make any sense, for the same reason why trading MI for pitching doesn't make sense either. Any team that would be interested in acquiring the likes of Bautista or Barney etc. would be playoff teams that are looking to add. None of those teams would be willing to part with pitching, especially given the inflated market.
    Yep. Edwin to the Sox was talked about even last year. I could have sworn he said he would be interested.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post

I don’t see them trading Barney just based on 3B (and full util) ability. I was thinking either big Tulo deal, Goins, or maybe Travis.

Also, we may see Bautista at 1B, then the 3 OF, and Edwin DH too. JB is a decent 1B.

The Great One

I also think Saunders, Bautista, and Edwin will all walk. With the changing of the guard, the new philosophy of the Jays is not "do what it takes to win now." It's now all about being consistently mediocre.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Looks like a dumb trade to me, lets see how the team feels as it was getting back that loving feeling from last year, I'm not sold that BJ Upton is now a Jay - Hope he fits in but they dont need another outfielder for this year... are they going to sit Saunders?

I'd be shocked if Encarnacion isnt a Redsox next year - we wont pay what Boston will pay, and I'm pretty sure Edwin likes his money, more the better.
    KFHL - 14 Team H2H keeper,NHLsalcap, protect 17/20, (4D, 3X(C,RW,LW), 2G, filler to 20, plus 2IR) ten waivers picks per season.
    Cats Skaters: G/A/Pts/BLK/HITS/SOG/PIM/GWG/SHP/PPP; Goalies W/SO/GAA/SvPct/SOG
    C: Crosby, Kadri, RNH, Roslovic
    LW: Hall, Lindblom, Kubalic, Bratt, Lemieux, Gurianov
    RW: Palmieri, Niederreiter dropping soon, Wheeler
    D: Chabot, Josi, Gustafsson, Krug, McNabb
    G: Rask, Bishop, Binnington

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by tropheus_guy View Post
    Looks like a dumb trade to me, lets see how the team feels as it was getting back that loving feeling from last year, I'm not sold that BJ Upton is now a Jay - Hope he fits in but they dont need another outfielder for this year... are they going to sit Saunders?

I'd be shocked if Encarnacion isnt a Redsox next year - we wont pay what Boston will pay, and I'm pretty sure Edwin likes his money, more the better.
    Maybe this is the rose-coloured glasses talking but the more I think about it the more I feel that the trade makes sense. I'm not really overly bent out of shape over losing a class-A prospect for the chance to really shore up our lineup. And that's kind of what Upton does. The "substantial amount" that the Padres will be paying off will make a big difference in the assessment of this trade I think.

Whatever they do with Bautista, the sad fact is he's not a good defender in the field. Neither is Saunders for that matter IMO, which means we have two weak corner outfielders, putting a lot of pressure on Pillar to compensate, which he's handled splendidly so far.

Whatever the case, I just hope that this is something that management had the sense to talk to all parties involved (Bautista, Edwin, Smoak) prior to pulling the trigger on this.

Dobber Sports Titan

If they actually are keeping a lot of the contract (Padres), it’s likely Anthony Alford they traded, their No1 Prospect ranked by MLB. #37 overall, #9 OF ranked by MLB.