Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: McDavid for Eichel, Murray and Laine

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: McDavid for Eichel, Murray and Laine

That is a solid offer for McDavid. I would have a very tough time trading him away, and I want to be overpaid for it. What you have now is a fair deal, so I would hold. An offer this solid 5 days after getting him won't dissapear, but a better one can come up. Ask for the sky to begin with.
    You also shouldn't have to add to McDavid if you're trading him IMO.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Jedi

How do you put a value on something you haven't even seen the summit of? Over a pt/gm in his rookie year. 100+pts this year? 120? Eichel we're talking about breaking 70 this year. Laine 50-60. Together they might match McDavid & you'd have another empty roster spot you could add on.

You just received the shiniest object in fantasy hockey, don't get distracted by the glare in the next shop window. Don't trade him - you'll regret it before Nov. 1.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Your trade to land McDavid was a fantastic one. That made your tam better. Adding Klingberg further improved your team. Giving up the best player in the league who's yet to even show a glimpse of what he can do from a fantasy perspective (I believe ) is short sighted.

I think you may live to regret this move. I don't think it improves your team's potential long term.

Put me in the KEEP MCDAVID camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Baby View Post
    Dont trade mcdavid
    There's the keep McDavid side I was waiting for! My initial gut reaction was the same.."Only if it's a slam dunk win".

I think it's fair to say, like Eskimo stated, that I've been given a pretty reasonable offer, but to snag a player who has the potential to put up numbers we may not see again for a very long time deserves a massive overpay.

I must say, Eichel, Laine, Drouin and Murray still might push me over the top - but after this discussion perhaps id just keep Strome and send him elsewhere for a pick as I wouldn't be able to keep him.

I love the contrasting viewpoints that come from these threads. Hopefully you all don't get tired of them because I'm addicted to trying to improve my team via trade and I'll continue to come here to sort out the minutia with you all.

For now, I'll keep the McDavid trade talk on ice until Someone decides they want to knock my socks off.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Pro

Reminder: The main reason you traded for McDavid was because you so badly wanted to own McDavid.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Joe Davola View Post
    There's the keep McDavid side I was waiting for! My initial gut reaction was the same.."Only if it's a slam dunk win".

I think it's fair to say, like Eskimo stated, that I've been given a pretty reasonable offer, but to snag a player who has the potential to put up numbers we may not see again for a very long time deserves a massive overpay.

I must say, Eichel, Laine, Drouin and Murray still might push me over the top - but after this discussion perhaps id just keep Strome and send him elsewhere for a pick as I wouldn't be able to keep him.

I love the contrasting viewpoints that come from these threads. Hopefully you all don't get tired of them because I'm addicted to trying to improve my team via trade and I'll continue to come here to sort out the minutia with you all.

For now, I'll keep the McDavid trade talk on ice until Someone decides they want to knock my socks off.
    You are surrounded by thousands of 'you's' here. This is also our addiction.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    Reminder: The main reason you traded for McDavid was because you so badly wanted to own McDavid.
    Always a great reminder for me! However, I'm one of those guys who would trade anyone if it made my team better.

I'm like a sell sword, loyal to no fantasy player !

Dobber Sports Pro

Always a great reminder for me! However, I'm one of those guys who would trade anyone if it made my team better.

I'm like a sell sword, loyal to no fantasy player !
    An understandable policy, but if there is just one guy worth making an exception for, this is the guy.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I think it's a fair offer but when you're trading away for a top 3 player you should always want to be overpaid, sometimes ridiculously. Hold McDavid for now.
    Yahoo League #1 - H2H Keep 21
    [F] Tkachuk, Barkov, A Svechnikov, Kaprizov, DeBrincat, Scheifele, RNH, Suzuki, Laine, Kakko, Cozens
    [D] Makar, Hughes, Nurse, Chabot, Byram
    [G] Hart, Shesterkin, Lehner, Helle

Yahoo League #2 - H2H Keep 22
    [F] MacKinnon, Guentzel, DeBrincat, EP40, Gaudreau, Barzal, Hughes, Laine, Garland, Norris, Batherson, Farabee
    [D] Hedman, MacAvoy, Nurse, Chabot, Pionk, Byram
    [G] Nedeljkovic, Smith, Gustavsson, Murray

Dobber Sports Legend

Forget about the Tender for a minute...

Connor McDavid
    - Avg. Prime Year = 36G | 57A | 93P
    - Peak Years = 40G | 65A | 105P
    - Career Year = 44G | 70A | 114P
    Fantasy Comp: Sidney Crosby

vs.

Jack Eichel
    - Avg. Prime Year = 37G | 47A | 84P
    - Peak Years = 42G | 48A | 90P
    - Career Year = 46G | 52A | 98P
    Fantasy Comp: John Tavares

Patrik Laine
    - Avg. Prime Year = 39G | 38A | 77P
    - Peak Years = 45G | 42A | 87P
    - Career Year = 52G | 42A | 94P
    Fantasy Comp: Steven Stamkos

You're looking an annual Art Ross contender in McDavid versus a potential Top 3-5 scorer in Eichel and a future Rocket Richard contender in Laine. Comparing them to established / proven players, this is like trading a prime Crosby for a prime Tavares and Stamkos IMO. In a goals-bonused league, Eichel and Laine will be juggernauts. As for McDavid, he'll be money in bank most years.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Forget about the Tender for a minute...

Connor McDavid
    - Avg. Prime Year = 36G | 57A | 93P
    - Peak Years = 40G | 65A | 105P
    - Career Year = 44G | 70A | 114P
    Fantasy Comp: Sidney Crosby

vs.

Jack Eichel
    - Avg. Prime Year = 37G | 47A | 84P
    - Peak Years = 42G | 48A | 90P
    - Career Year = 46G | 52A | 98P
    Fantasy Comp: John Tavares

Patrik Laine
    - Avg. Prime Year = 39G | 38A | 77P
    - Peak Years = 45G | 42A | 87P
    - Career Year = 52G | 42A | 94P
    Fantasy Comp: Steven Stamkos
    Comparisons are so hit or miss...those two could easily equate to Taylor Hall (Laine) and Nathan MacKinnon (Eichel) for Connor McDavid. Which I don't think anyone does. McDavid is a guarantee...and I'd want guarantees back if I'm moving him.
    Yahoo League #1 - H2H Keep 21
    [F] Tkachuk, Barkov, A Svechnikov, Kaprizov, DeBrincat, Scheifele, RNH, Suzuki, Laine, Kakko, Cozens
    [D] Makar, Hughes, Nurse, Chabot, Byram
    [G] Hart, Shesterkin, Lehner, Helle

Yahoo League #2 - H2H Keep 22
    [F] MacKinnon, Guentzel, DeBrincat, EP40, Gaudreau, Barzal, Hughes, Laine, Garland, Norris, Batherson, Farabee
    [D] Hedman, MacAvoy, Nurse, Chabot, Pionk, Byram
    [G] Nedeljkovic, Smith, Gustavsson, Murray

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by junyab View Post
    Comparisons are so hit or miss...those two could easily equate to Taylor Hall (Laine) and Nathan MacKinnon (Eichel) for Connor McDavid. Which I don't think anyone does. McDavid is a guarantee...and I'd want guarantees back if I'm moving him.
    Comparisons are hit or miss - true point. But I also comped McDavid very high. For example, Crosby himself only matched (or exceeded) my projections for McDavid's "peak seasons" twice in 10 years. And, scoring is down compared to Sid's first couple years in the league. Point being - my comps for McDavid could even end up high.

How about if McDavid ends up Tavares and Eichel+Laine end up MacKinnon+Hall? That makes it a bit different, right?

Out of the three, I do think McDavid is the most likely to achieve his ceiling, but there are never guarantees, just projections. I'm sure many poolies were guaranteeing that Crosby would score 100+ every year and one day hit 130.

I'm not saying "I would trade McDavid for Eichel and Laine" - I just wanted to throw some possible projections out there.

This is a very tricky deal IMO but one that needs strong consideration, I'll say that. Not to mention if Murray becomes the Pens star netminder for the next 8 years.

Something to think about.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Dobber Sports Stud

Fungchen really bringing this one home! You raise great points.. The potential that comes with Eichel, Laine and Murray, if met, would likely be more valuable then McDavid. It could be massive and a worthy pull for the single most valuable asset.

The concern, and rightly so, is that one, two or all three either take a lot longer to get there, or never fully realize that potential. If Eichel runs into MacKinnon-like second and third seasons and Laine takes a few years to break the 60/65 point barrier then ive definitely weakened my team when I'm built to win now..

That's definitely something I need to remind myself of. I keep trying to build the future and win now - sort of like my home team Canucks, but in a way cooler way as my team can actually win now, unlike theirs.

I'll always make a move if I feel it makes my team better, I just need to remember that Thornton, Kessel, Kopitar, Gio, Buff, Lundqvist.. Won't be producing elite numbers forever and I've got to make hay while the sun shines. At this point, it appears McDavid gives me the best show at that

Dobber Sports Stud

Just as an aside.. I think Eichel will continue to progress forward and become a true elite producer of Seguin's caliber. IMO He can be a 1.1 PPG guy

Dobber Sports Legend

Fungchen really bringing this one home! You raise great points.. The potential that comes with Eichel, Laine and Murray, if met, would likely be more valuable then McDavid. It could be massive and a worthy pull for the single most valuable asset.

The concern, and rightly so, is that one, two or all three either take a lot longer to get there, or never fully realize that potential. If Eichel runs into MacKinnon-like second and third seasons and Laine takes a few years to break the 60/65 point barrier then ive definitely weakened my team when I'm built to win now..

That's definitely something I need to remind myself of. I keep trying to build the future and win now - sort of like my home team Canucks, but in a way cooler way as my team can actually win now, unlike theirs.

I'll always make a move if I feel it makes my team better, I just need to remember that Thornton, Kessel, Kopitar, Gio, Buff, Lundqvist.. Won't be producing elite numbers forever and I've got to make hay while the sun shines. At this point, it appears McDavid gives me the best show at that
    Joe,

If you feel your window to win the cheese is over the next couple of years, then keeping McDavid is wise. In 2016-17 he could put up 80-85 points while Eichel hovers around 65-70 and Laine breaks in with 50. McDavid will edge Eichel the next couple of years (at least) and you can have a hired vet hand who could outproduce Laine until he hits his stride.

Just as an aside.. I think Eichel will continue to progress forward and become a true elite producer of Seguin's caliber. IMO He can be a 1.1 PPG guy
    I also think Eichel has 90 point threat written all over him. And Laine could be a goal scoring machine. Even though I doubt he'll ever touch Ovechkin levels, I see Laine ending up somewhere in here...

(their prime)...

Stamkos (45/45/90)
    Perry (40/40/80)
    Vanek (40/35/75)

I guess to conclude, it's hard dealing a chip like McDavid. Take it from me - I traded FOR McDavid last year and then traded him a week later for Eichel and Stamkos! Granted, my league is VERY goal-bonused (G=2 and A=1, plus PP/SS/GWG bonuses) so two young players who can score 40-45 like Eichel and Stamkos can be absolutely lethal. But, in your case, it's a lot harder to bail on the best player in the deal, especially since you have a window right now and McDavid gives you the best chance. If I were you, I'd stick with McDavid probably.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Stud

In a keep 17 I might entertain trading McDavid for massive overpay. I need to look into this more.

I am in a keep 5 and no combination of players would be enough. Its too likely he is scoring more than kane did last year for several years. He truly is a generational talent and basically could end up being the Bobby Orr of forwards. his skating, agility in a phonebooth space, edgework, stickhandling, and ability to think as fast as he moves is off the charts
    #1 Yahoo Keep 5, 14 teams
    C, C, RW, LW, F, F, D, D, D, Uti, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW~W, L, GAA, Sv%, saves, SO

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G