Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Imagined] The Montreal Canadiens land a top Free Agent on July 1st... but who?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: [Imagined] The Montreal Canadiens land a top Free Agent on July 1st... but who?

has bergevin ever made a big move to improve his team? seems like all he does is minor weeks every year. unless you count the major signing of Petry that was such a waste.

realistically if they do land a big fish it'll be a winger like okposo/ladd etc. but that isn't what they need, they need a #1C desperately.

stamkos is the only one available this summer, but i doubt they will land him. i could see them going after Staal/Backes but it won't be a pretty contract.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: [Imagined] The Montreal Canadiens land a top Free Agent on July 1st... but who?

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    but that isn't what they need, they need a #1C desperately.
    Galchenyuk is now their #1C. If they can get an upgrade somehow, that's fine. But they don't "desperately" need a #1C, they already have one.
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Dikoi View Post
    Galchenyuk is now their #1C. If they can get an upgrade somehow, that's fine. But they don't "desperately" need a #1C, they already have one.
    I agree with both of you in the sense that the Habs need a centre. Whether Chucky goes down to the 2nd line or that the new C is the 2nd centre is all good IMO. Pleky is great a shutting down top lines and should be relied upon for that; not having the bear the pressure of being the top-scorer of a team that lacks firepower.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Superstar

Radulov jumps out at me from the list. Reminds me of Kovalev in a guy that has loads of talent, but not the drive to use it game in game out. Can't see many others on the list in Montreal, although if I had to pick others, Ladd and Okposo seem to make the most sense.

Seems like pretty crappy reasoning, but it's a gut feel.

Dobber Sports Veteran

If they miss out on Stamkos (I think that would cost them 11M$/7 years), I hope they land Okposo and not Ladd.
    Ladd would be a great fit on certain teams, but not for the Habs (IMO). They need scoring more than what Ladd could bring.
    I really think Okposo would fill better Habs needs.
    Okposo at 7M$ > Ladd at 6M$.
    As for Radulov, I, as a fan, would love to see him in Mtl next year. I think he's exactly what they need. But the ghost of Semin would certainly slows Bergevin (and Therrien) on this signing...
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Ladd is the best fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dikoi View Post
    Can you explain why? I see absolutely no fit here, but that's just my opinion. If it's just about size, I don't think that's a good enough reason to sign him, same thing for Backes.
    For the reasons listed by others in the past. They need a top-six winger who has playoff experience who can be a threat to get 25-30 goals and can be a leader in the dressing room. Plus, he's decent defensively, can play shorthanded, and isn't scared to throw his weight around (averaged two hits a game with Winnipeg). Pretty much what Montreal needs in a top-six. And since he's only 30, a five- or six-year deal won't be that bad toward the end of his contract.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Expert

has bergevin ever made a big move to improve his team? seems like all he does is minor weeks every year. unless you count the major signing of Petry that was such a waste.

realistically if they do land a big fish it'll be a winger like okposo/ladd etc. but that isn't what they need, they need a #1C desperately.

stamkos is the only one available this summer, but i doubt they will land him. i could see them going after Staal/Backes but it won't be a pretty contract.
    He traded for Thomas Vanek a couple years ago, and it turned out pretty good for them (regardless of Vanek's production) because it placed every player back on their right spot (Vanek #1 RW, Gallagher #2 RW and Gionta #3 RW).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LeTrefle View Post
    If they miss out on Stamkos (I think that would cost them 11M$/7 years), I hope they land Okposo and not Ladd.
    Ladd would be a great fit on certain teams, but not for the Habs (IMO). They need scoring more than what Ladd could bring.
    I really think Okposo would fill better Habs needs.
    Okposo at 7M$ > Ladd at 6M$.
    As for Radulov, I, as a fan, would love to see him in Mtl next year. I think he's exactly what they need. But the ghost of Semin would certainly slows Bergevin (and Therrien) on this signing...
    Radulov is exactly what the Habs need. Another gamebreaking talent upfront. Then I think it would be Okposo.

The Habs need to stay away from Backes. He's not gonna be worth his contract.

In order for the Habs:
    Stamkos
    Radulov
    Okposo
    Lucic
    Ladd
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    He traded for Thomas Vanek a couple years ago, and it turned out pretty good for them (regardless of Vanek's production) because it placed every player back on their right spot (Vanek #1 RW, Gallagher #2 RW and Gionta #3 RW).
    So the answer is yes, he's made a big move. But he's never made a big long-term move. This squad is pretty much right at where they were when MB took over, so this summer will be interesting.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Pro

I do not know who to sign, I just worry who ever signs will likely not be used to their full potential by Michel Therrien

Hopefully this does not derail anything, but I think he will have a negative impact on whoever MTL signs there, unless he likes them. So Big wingers or C's he'd like (ie. Ladd, Okposo or Backes), but someone like Yandle he would miscast
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    I do not know who to sign, I just worry who ever signs will likely not be used to their full potential by Michel Therrien

Hopefully this does not derail anything, but I think he will have a negative impact on whoever MTL signs there, unless he likes them. So Big wingers or C's he'd like (ie. Ladd, Okposo or Backes), but someone like Yandle he would miscast
    Yeah that's a given that Therrien is a bottom 3 head coach in the NHL. Maybe Muller might kick some sense into him.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I don't think the Habs will sign a big UFA. I will be very surprise. They don't want to spend the money on UFA and I don't think Montreal is #1 on the list for any of the names on the UFA list.

I could see a trade thought.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    I don't think the Habs will sign a big UFA. I will be very surprise. They don't want to spend the money on UFA and I don't think Montreal is #1 on the list for any of the names on the UFA list.

I could see a trade thought.
    I second this.

I'm sure they are going to pursue Stamkos but I doubt he comes to MTL.

I'm betting Bergevin wants to see what his lineup looks like with the healthy players and with some of the players they acquired near the end of last year all in the lineup. (Danault & Matteau)

He won't do anything serious until then.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    In order for the Habs:
    Stamkos
    Radulov
    Okposo
    Lucic
    Ladd
    Great list/ranking!
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Dobber Sports Genius

Sign as a FA to play for that A$$hat of a coach?!?. Nope. Life is too short and other opportunities abound. Habs are not going to get who they want.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Sign as a FA to play for that A$$hat of a coach?!?. Nope. Life is too short and other opportunities abound. Habs are not going to get who they want.
    Yep.. Habs are doomed to fail with Therrien.