Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: [Imagined] The Montreal Canadiens land a top Free Agent on July 1st... but who?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: [Imagined] The Montreal Canadiens land a top Free Agent on July 1st... but who?

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Sign as a FA to play for that A$$hat of a coach?!?. Nope. Life is too short and other opportunities abound. Habs are not going to get who they want.
    If I'm a NHL player, the number one reason to not sign with the Habs is the media. The journalism behind the Montreal Canadiens is really really bad.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: [Imagined] The Montreal Canadiens land a top Free Agent on July 1st... but who?

Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    If I'm a NHL player, the number one reason to not sign with the Habs is the media. The journalism behind the Montreal Canadiens is really really bad.
    It's not worse than any other big market. Look at Kessel in Toronto? He's the best player they've had since Sundin and the media basically ran him out of town.

Vancouver media was pretty harsh on Luongo and the Sedins also for years.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    It's not worse than any other big market. Look at Kessel in Toronto? He's the best player they've had since Sundin and the media basically ran him out of town.

You're not completely wrong, but find me another city where they are talking about hockey 24 hours a day? I don't want to argue about that, but for me the Montreal medias are crazy.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post

Some players actually thrive with the added lights and cameras (i.e. Subban). From another pesperctive, character players like Toews and Crosby don't let the hype affect them. But I do agree that the media circus can and does distract many of the players that are there to ''play'' and nothing more, but you know what, that whole schenanigan helps generate the big paychecks that they command so tough! Typically, the media attention goes hand in hand with the dollars you make (of course this is not a general rule though). Unfortunately, as franklin says, a player would more often than not opt to play in a sunny destination with little media buzz as opposed to facing cold canadian winters + media frenzies galore like what we have in Montreal.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Veteran

You're not completely wrong, but find me another city where they are talking about hockey 24 hours a day? I don't want to argue about that, but for me the Montreal medias are crazy.
    In a city where something like this happened you're absolutely right.

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...8-76a0bad8d88e

What happened, according to Beauchamp, is Koivu was in one of the hospital waiting rooms with a friend who had brought him some food. Another man entered the room, called Saku by his name and introduced himself as a Journal de Montreal reporter.

Shortly after, a Journal photographer entered the room and snapped some photos with a flash.

Koivu's doctors had told him to avoid bright lights while his injury is healing.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    In a city where something like this happened you're absolutely right.

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...8-76a0bad8d88e
    +1 for the dig and link
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Stud

Lucic would be my wet dream but extremely unlikely. Ladd would be my second choice, but I fear he'll be asking for too much.

I think Eriksson could be a good fit.

Boedker is also intriguing. His speed could mesh well with the team, although he's not a huge goal scorer which is what the team needs most.

Dobber Sports Titan

Martin st Louis comes out of retirement and habs fans/media announce he's the next 90pt scorer for the team
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I think Lucic would fit in great with all 30 NHL teams.. I think Okposo would be the Habs choice for a scoring winger!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I think Okposo would be the Habs choice for a scoring winger!!
    Yes, that's what I initially thought. But I was a bit concerned to see an inordinate amount of Isles fan on HF boards being extremely critical of him, particularly of his alleged lack of hockey IQ.

I don't see him play often, so that raised some red flags for me.

Of course, I'm sure last year the boards were to be full of opinionated Leafs fans who thought Kessel was just worthless, so you have to take it all with a grain of salt.