Thread: Rask/Couture+ for RNH/Larsson++

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Rask/Couture+ for RNH/Larsson++

A little context before I give you the exact details of the proposed trade. It's a 30 team dynasty league where we keep players until they become NHL UFAs. I wad one of the better teams in the league last year and I expect to do the same this year. We use NHL AAVs as well as the NHL salary cap. Counting stats are goals, assists, hits, takeaways, FOW%, blocked shots, PP and PK TOI/game. We start 4 forward lines, 6 dmen and 1 goalie each week but the starter can only play 85% of the weeks in a season.

Here's the proposal:

Tuukka Rask, Logan Couture, Mark Borowiecki
    for
    Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Adam Larsson. Jacob Markstrom and the 52nd pick in this year's entry draft

(2016 NHL draftees and anyone not already in the league, ie newly signed college free agents, late round picks who were NHL rookies last year).

The team moving Rask has Dubnyk who has been better than Rask in each of the past two seasons. They will also save $2.83M in cap space for the upcoming season.

Which side do you like better?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Rask/Couture+ for RNH/Larsson++

Give me the Rask/Couture side, not even close for me to be honest.
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Genius

THE SIDE I WANT:
    Rask is a top tier goalie that is going to start most of his team's games. In a 30 team league you NEED a guy like this.
    Couture is fixture on the sharks top 6 and should outscore RNH
    Boroweicki is wildcard. He will finish as the league hits leader in either the NHL or the AHL.

THE SIDE I DO NOT WANT
    RNH can't win a face off or play "big".
    Larsson is a better real life D than fantasy
    Markstrom is a coin flip playing on what should a tire-fire of a team. If you are only starting one G per week then you want the best starter you can get.
    52nd pick. Meh. I know there is value there in a 30 team league but it is not a deal maker or a deal breaker
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Novice

Raak/Couture for reasons already mentioned but I will add one more reason.

Rask/Couture are the better players in the deal. Give me that deal all day long.

Dobber Sports Titan

I skipped the explanation paragraph to read the names, and was thinking this has to be a deal that went through in his league and he's asking if it's veto worthy. I then read the explanation, and I'm shocked this wasn't accepted as soon as it came across the table. The guys above said it well. I see no reason not to want the Couture/Rask side. The fact there are hits and Borowiecki is on that side too is just gravy.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Icon

Thank you all for the replies. Here are some actual stats comparing the players from both sides of the deal. Let's see if that changes anyones minds.

Goalies

Tuukka Rask - 2014/15 ranked 9th of all goalies per the league's stats; 2015/16 ranked 20th, 3rd highest AAV among goalies signed for next season
    Devan Dubnyk - 2014/15 ranked 2nd of all goalies; 2015/16 ranked 12th, 20th highest AAV --> the team trading away Rask had Dubnyk as their "back up" last season
    Jacob Markstrom - 2015/16 ranked 43rd of all goalies, 31st highest AAV

Teams can only play one goalie each week but the back up has to play at least 15% of the weeks in a season.

Defensemen
    last two seasons per game stats (except games played) and last year's totals in the following fashion Adam Larsson/Mark Borowiecki per game - 15/16 total AL/MB

GP: 146/126 - 82/63
    G: .041/.0159 - 3/1
    A: .247/.087 - 15/1
    +/-: .116/.087 - 15/-4
    Hits: 1.7/4.0 - 163/271
    Blocks: 1.8/1.6 - 148/99
    Takeaways: .295/.095 - 22/3
    PP TOI/gm: 0:14/0:01 - 0:10/0:01
    PK TOI/gm: 3:15/2:16 - 3:20/2:21
    PIMs (negative category): .677/1.70 77/107
    TOI/gm (not a counting stat but just for comparison): 21:49/15:16 - 22:30/14:37

Forwards RNH/LC (last two years - last season)

GP: 131/126 - 55/52
    G: .275/.313 - 12/15
    A: .412/.455 - 22/21
    +/-: -.16/-.03 - -9/2
    Hits: 1.0/0.85 - 39/29
    Blocks: 0.6/.81 - 36/38
    Takeaways: .74/.71 - 43/39
    FOW%: 45.4/47.8 - 44.8/47.0
    PP TOI/gm: 2:40/3:39 - 2:36/3:39
    PK TOI/gm: 1:21/1:27 - 0:57/0:44
    PIMs (negative category): .33/.24 18/20
    TOI/gm (not a counting stat but just for comparison): 20:38/19:04 - 19:03/17:23

I have tried to bold where there was a noticeable difference.

In terms of salary, Couture has 3 years left at $6M, Rask has 5 years left at $7M, Borowiecki has 2 years at $1.1M, RNH has 5 left at $6M, Larsson has 5 left at $4.167M and Markstrom has 1 at $1.55M. The team moving Couture/Rask would save $2.38M next season while gaining cost certainty of 2 years at C and 3 years at D but having a potential UFA in net. Does this change anyone's thoughts on the proposed deal?

Dobber Sports Genius

In a 30 team league I would give up RNH / Larsson / Markstrom / 52nd for Rask alone!!! Getting Couture and Boroweicki on top of Rask is a huge added bonus.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Ace

Rask couture side without a doubt. Hit accept before the other gm changes his mind
    14 team h/h dynasty
    Stats, G A PTS PIM +/- PPP SHP GWG shts TOI hts/blks W sv% gaa SO
    $89 mill salary cap, cap hits
    minors- players under 60 gms, goalies under 30 gms
    3c 3lw 3rw 4d 2util 1goal
    max 23 plyr rstr, 15 minors

CENTERS Kuznetsov, Necas, Petterson, Hughes, D.Strome, Seguin, Hayes, Scheifele
    LEFTWING Gaudreau, Mantha, Forsberg, Keller
    RIGHTWING Kakko , Debrincat, Thomas, Konecny
    D-MEN Girard, Provorov, McCavoy, Dobson, Makar
    GOALIES Gibson, Shesterkin, Sorokin
    IR
    MINORS Brannstrom, Kostin, Dennisenko, Kaprizov, Tippett, Cozens, Tolvanen, Zegras, Byfield , Vessalainen, K.Miller, Kyrou, Janik, Bokk, Lundell, Heinola, Hoglander, Lundkvist

The Great One

If you are the one giving up Rask, my advice would be to keep shopping. I think you can get more back with Rask and Couture.

Dobber Sports Genius

Rask and Couture side easily
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'M on the Rask and Couture side. Not even close...
    Keeper's league, points only, 24 teams league Skaters: 1 pt for goal and 1 pt for assist, Goalie, 2 pts for win, + 2 pts for SO

Dobber Sports Icon

I am the team with Rask/Couture side and I have finalized a deal. Before I get vilified, it's not a fantasy league as it is a simulation league where player ratings are based on the previous two NHL seasons. I treat valuations as if I was an actual NHL GM. Devan Dubnyk (my other goalie) is going to be the 2nd best rated goalie in the league for the upcoming season. Rask will be the 13th best for the upcoming season. Dubnyk will also be better at least similarly rated for the 17/18 season as long as they both start 40 NHL games next season as the ratings are based 50% from each of the two previous NHL seasons. Rask has also been on the trading block for a little over a year with very little interest. It's a weird league as there's always about 25 rebuilding teams and 5 teams trying to win and all of those teams have great starting goalies. The deal makes my team significantly better for the upcoming season as I get a much weaker back up goalie who will play 15% of the time while upgrading Mark Borowiecki to Adam Larsson. I also gain cap space which is very valuable while getting younger and having key players signed for longer terms. RNH is going to be pretty much equal to Couture for the upcoming season and I believe he can actually be better than Couture in the long run.

Here's the actual deal:

I gave up Tuukka Rask, Logan Couture, Mark Borowiecki and Zane McIntyre
    I received Jacob Markstrom, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Adam Larsson, Thatcher Demko and a 4th round pick

Dobber Sports Expert

Sim leagues are completely different from NHL fantasy leagues. Honestly, I don't see how much value you are getting by asking for trade evaluation here without explicitly stating it other that gauging for potential values stemming from rerates? Most sim leagues require in-depth analysis of the players attributes as well as how they are actually performing in the sim (maybe yours is different). Just saying it may have been more beneficial to have stated this upfront, but then I guess you may have feared having no responses?

All that aside and in the sense of rebuilding and shedding some cap, I like the deal for you here.