Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sportsnet Top 15 UFA's - Predictions

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Sportsnet Top 15 UFA's - Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Decided to look up the 8-year contract rules in the CBA.

So:
    1. The right to sign a player to an 8-year deal is restricted to the team whom the player played for at the trade deadline.
    2. The right to sign a pending UFA to an 8-year deal expires on July 1st.
    3. The right to sign a pending RFA (Group 2 only) to an 8-year deal is not lost on July 1st.

Thus, Stamkos can only sign a n 8-year deal with Tampa Bay, and only before July 1st, once July 1st comes he can only sign a 7-year deal maximum. No other team can trade for Stamkos’ rights and sign him to an 8-year deal.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA...A_2013_CBA.pdf
    Thanks for looking that up. Great information. I am not saying with Stamkos but could we see a 'sigh and trade' type thing like in the NBA? Stamkos signs for 8 years with Tampa and then gets traded to wherever right away?

Dobber Sports Veteran

I love a lot of the predictions here. I know it is easy to be critic when you aren't putting your own predictions out there but overall my comment would be I think many deals are too short. If you are a 32 year old David Backes this is your last big contract. If he does a 4 year deal he may be in tough getting much of a contract when he is 36. If you can get 6 years you are 38 which is a more logical goal for him. Same thing applies to guys like Hudler, Ladd, and Eriksson.

I know those last few years are going to suck for the team but if there is competition for their services, then GMs may be forced to hold their nose and do it.

Dobber Sports Pro

Lucic would be a good fit in Edmonton, hopefully he stays in LA.

Hamhuis - my bold prediction is that if he doesn't sign in Vancouver he retires.

Yandle to Boston - makes sense.
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

Dobber Sports Padawan

Stamkos - Montreal 7 years @ 10.75m

-as good a guess as any. For me, I'm gonna say he sticks with the Lightning at a discount, shorter term while their window is in full effect. 3 years, $9 mil, NMC so he doesn't wind up in Vegas

Backes - Anaheim 3 years @ 4.75m

-I'd like to see Backes in Columbus. Just sort of fits their mould. 3 years, $6mil? I dunno.

Okposo - Nashville 7 yeas @ 6.75m

-I actually like that idea, though the contract seems a bit long. I'm gonna say Nashville or Carolina, 5 years, $6mil

Lucic - Edmonton 6 years @ 6.5m (Unless Edmonton makes a trade for Kreider/Nash)

-I don't see Lucic or Kreider going to Edmonton. I don't think they need that after securing Kassian and Maroon, 2 cheaper physical guys that can complement their scorers. I see Lucic getting 3-4 years, $7mil...let's say....Vancouver. Local boy. I think Benning is getting orders to keep trying to compete and will be in the market for guys he probably shouldn't be.

Ladd - Buffalo 4 years @ 4.65m

-I like this idea, put me down for that

Yandle - Colorado 6 years @ 6.5m

-this would be a huge surprise to me. The rumor is they are going to trade Barrie because they don't want to spend that much on an offensive defenseman. To let him go and then bring in the older Yandle for more money would be a step backwards. I'm going with Florida taking him as a PP QB. 5 years, $6mil. Just spitballing.

Eriksson - Carolina 5 years @ 5.25m

-is he definitely out of Boston? I think they like him over there. I'm thinking he re-signs. 5 years, $5.5mil

Hamhuis - New Jersey 3 years @ 5.5m

-see Lucic. Benning re-signs him, for too long and too much. 5 years. Somewhere north of $4.5mil

Campbell - Rangers 1 year @ 3.25m

-I'm actually gonna say Ottawa is in on this now that Phillips has moved on. One year, tutor the kids a bit, pick up some slack on the defensive elements when necessary. $3mil

Russell - Edmonton 5 years @ 5m

-Yep I could see this. I don't know if he's the right guy for what they want but beggars can't be choosers

Boedker - Toronto 4 years @ 4m

-hmmm. Tough one. If we're OK with the idea he's worth less than $5mil, maybe the Islanders take him and let Okposo move on. Let's say 4 years, $4.75mil.

Hudler - New Jersey 2 years @ 3.75m

-yeah that sounds reasonable.

Reimer - Carolina 6 years @ 5.25m

-Damn! That's too rich for me! I'll take 2 years, $3.5mil, uh... Islanders maybe? Time share situation as usual for the poor guy?

Ward - Calgary 3 years @ 3m

-I got Ward in Switzerland. No, Germany.

E. Staal - Florida 4 years @ 4.5m

-yeah i figure it will be a smaller market. I don't see Florida in the mix so much though. Think it's possible he goes back to Carolina? Let's say same figures you got but back "home" in Carolina, with his brother.

Vrbata (not one offer at the deadline) - 1 year @ 2.25m

-You know I think maybe he'll head home if he doesn't get offers. Czech Extraliga.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopo View Post
    Reimer - Carolina 6 years @ 5.25m

-Damn! That's too rich for me! I'll take 2 years, $3.5mil, uh... Islanders maybe? Time share situation as usual for the poor guy?
    I completely agree...the numbers being thrown around for Reimer are a bit ridiculous. Let's not forget, this is a guy who has not been able to nail down a starter job as of yet and is 28 years old. When you figure Martin Jones got 3 years $9mill last summer to be the starter, I think that's a much a better comparison on contract and term. Some team will probably overpay but anything over $3.5mill for 2-3 years I think would be an overpayment. With expansion and the goalies who will be available for trade this upcoming year should deter any team from forking around 4+ years and over $4.5mill.

Dobber Sports Stud

Stamkos - Ottawa 5 years @ 11m
    I know it won't happen but it would be nice to see the Sens spend big time on SS

Backes - Dallas 4 years @ 5.25m
    Dallas looking to get over the hump

Okposo - Calgary 3 years @ 6m
    Flames needing to address the offense

Lucic - Florida 3 years @ 7.5m
    Panthers hoping to upgrade the offense and tilt the rink at the same time

Ladd - Vancouver 5 years @ 5.5m
    Takes his game closer to home

Yandle - NYR 7 years @ 7m
    NY has to move another body or two out the door to make space for him

Eriksson - Arizona 6 years @ 6.5m
    New Gm addresses depth up front and scoring

Campbell - Sabres 1 year @ 5.5m
    A return to familiar surroundings

Russell - NJ 3 years @ 4m
    Signs for smaller term and less money but top 4 minutes and a shot at another contract down the road

Boedker - Arizona 5 years @ 6m
    yes you can go home

Hudler - Carolina 4 years @ 4.5m
    Ron Francis looks to patch up the forward ranks with a legit top 6 forward, hoping Jiri shines in the spotlight

Reimer - Tampa 4 years @ 4.5m
    Bishop gets moved for another asset so Tampa looks to go with Reimer in nets

Ward - Winnipeg 2 years @ 4m
    Pav bought out, bringing Ward in to "stabilize" the nets and share the load with Hel

E. Staal - NJD 3 years @ 6m
    Devils look to fill in the roster with established leader and he can play spoiler to the NYR

Vrbata Boston - 2 year @ 3.5m
    Hoping he makes a mark with the extra man
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.