Thread: 2007 vs. 2008 prospects

Dobber Sports Novice

Default 2007 vs. 2008 prospects

I am thinking about making a few trades to try and get a top end prospect this year (ie - toews, backstrom, johnson(s)). As I have said in previous posts, without going into much detail as to how or why it is just simply that I can afford to make such trades.

The question I have, though, is if there are guys coming out next year for 2008 that will rival or better this years top end? if so who should I be watching? If so I will hold off on trading until next seasons draft.(obviously the few that might not make the squad this year, but who will enter next year with the hype of toews and backstrom?)

suggestions or questions welcome. Thanks.

Post edited by: Lute515, at: 2007/08/05 00:21

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re:2007 vs. 2008 prospects

If I\'m reading it right, you\'re looking to compare the NHL-ready prospects heading into this year and heading into next.

2007 Locks:

Toews
    Backstrom
    Kane
    Mueller
    Schwarz
    JJ
    EJ

2008 Probables:

Price
    Wheeler
    Schneider
    Ryan
    Brassard
    Rask
    Oshie
    Cogliano
    Okposo
    Pouliot
    Little
    Sheppard
    Giroux

2008 also has guys like Doughty, Bernier, Frolik, Tlusty, Gagner, JvR, Turris, Voracek and Alzner- prospects who could make the jump, but look to be a safer bet for \'09. Keep in mind that a few projected \'08 rookies could come in this year. Price, for example, would make his NHL debut this year if the room was there.

However, it\'s obvious which is the better class.

Dobber Sports Novice

yeah sorry about the wording i was a little tired. nice job figuring it out though.

yeah thats what I was looking for. The only thing is I am not very up tp speed with how good a lot of these guys are. I know about the 2007 class, so when you say its obvious which is better, I immediately think 2007 rather than the 2008. Is this right?(remember I mean in terms of top end guys)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yes, by that I mean if you want an impact guy, you should probably get one of the \'07 guys.

-EJ is heading onto a blueline that doesn\'t have a lot of star power.
    -Mueller will be one of THE guys in Phoenix.
    -Kane and Toews had stupid good chemistry in camp.
    -Backstrom will be with Ovechkin at some point- Ovy wanted him.

The only two that look to disappoint are Schwarz and JJ, since their respective teams have a lot of depth at their respective positions.

Normally, I\'d suggest 2008 is the year you should take a run at. The above guys are simply going to be too expensive for a lot of teams to acquire. You\'re buying high. However, since you\'ve said that\'s not an obstacle, I\'d say go ahead and spend on one of EJ, Mueller, Kane/Toews or Backstrom. 2008 will have a lot of NHL-ready players who will produce, but nowhere near the amount the aforementioned guys have the capability to.

goldfish47

the kid to watch for 08 is steve stamkos