Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump, Clinton......

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Trump, Clinton......

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    You Canadians... at least you have extra parties. The US needs that. It is an incredibly polarized country.
    Absolutely –*but I think Canada was one election away from a two party system (had the vote been split between the liberals and ndp, electing the conservatives). Are you familiar with Duverger's Law? Exactly why it is so critical to get away from First past the post system, and why I am cautiously optimistic that it looks like the Liberals will follow through on their promise of implementing some form of proportional representation.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

As if Clinton is any better than Trump. They are all brutal. Bernie Sanders' ideas were not practical in many cases, but at least he seemed like he had a soul. Would have been interesting to see him get a kick at the can. But to present Clinton as some sort of better option than Trump is actually pretty funny to me. Clinton is just as dangerous to the world as Trump is, but just in more of a standard way. I'm not worried about who gets the throne there though. Trump would just provide me with more entertainment.

Dobber Sports Pro

This election for the USA has come down to:

The most disliked woman in the country (55% negativity rating) vs The Most disliked man, and probably person, in the country (70% negativity rating).

Poor American voters

I could go into more and more detail but I'd rather not get into political arguments with anyone here haha.
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'm not a big fan of Hillary either. She's as genuine as a $3 bill. In fact, if the Dems end up losing this November, they will have no one but themselves to blame for anointing such an unpalatable candidate from the outset.

That being said, one thing I've learned from comparing the Clinton administration to that of Bush 43 is that it's unquestionably better to be smart but disingenuous as opposed to honest but unwise.

I guess my standards have been reduced to "First, do no harm". It's an unfortunate state of affairs I know, but there it is.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Stud

I don't know what's wrong with all of you.

Why would you be against making America Great Again?

The guy has promised he'll be the best jobs president God has ever created. He'll make America win again on everything, he said so. I don't know why anyone would be opposed to these things.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to find out more about how I will be making a six figure salary working from home. A pop-up just told me this would happen. Why would I be opposed to that?

Things are looking up!

Dobber Sports Novice

I feel like were going to look back at this election 20 years from now and think 'holy shit how did we let this happen' its a complete circus. I have seriously considered going for Canadian Citizenship.

In all seriousness tho, i agree a lot of what Peng already stated. Mainly that we need to get more parties i find it absurd that we have to choose between 2 candidates who for the most part are polar opposites. What if i like some of CAN-1 policies but also agree with what CAN-2 believes in.

'NO YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE BETWEEN THE GIANT DOUCHE OR THE TURD SANDWICH.'
    Dynasty Keeper League G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,GWG,SOG W,Svs,SO,GAA,Save%

F: Zetterberg, H Sedin, Wheeler, Landeskog, Schiefele, Nyquist, Marleau, VanReimsdyk*, Lucic, Komarov, Lee, Forsberg, Galchenyuk, Rakell, Lindholm, Nylander, Zacha, Pulkinnen
    D: Weber, OEL, Hedman, Markov, Brodie, Vatanen
    G: Rask, M. Jones, Elliott*, Smith*, Domingue, Reimer, Lack

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    This election for the USA has come down to:

The most disliked woman in the country (55% negativity rating) vs The Most disliked man, and probably person, in the country (70% negativity rating).

Poor American voters

I could go into more and more detail but I'd rather not get into political arguments with anyone here haha.
    I wouldn't worry about arguments, this thread is rolling and it's great getting some insight.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    I expect it would be a step towards the rise of fascism in the U.S. It's something that I've been concerned about dating back to the aftermath of 9/11, leading to the Patriot Act and the creation of the Department of Homeland Security. (Sound familiar?)

I realize that it sounds very Chicken Little-esque even to my own ears, but reading about Germany during the Weimar Republic and the early days of the Nazi Party, much of the rhetoric and political sentiments are eerily similar to what we're hearing now.
    I agree that this wave of Trump hysteria is reminiscent of the rise of many fascist regimes. I can only hope for the sake of conscientious American's, and the rest of the world, that common sense prevails.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    I agree that this wave of Trump hysteria is reminiscent of the rise of many fascist regimes. I can only hope for the sake of conscientious American's, and the rest of the world, that common sense prevails.
    That's the thing though. There is no common sense option available any longer. Both Trump and Clinton are horrific choices. It's like asking if you'd rather have your hand or your foot chopped off. There's no right choice in that situation.

Dobber Sports Guru

I could be mistaken, but wasn't there a big belief that Bush had no shot at winning his second term before that election? And we all know what happened there.

I think Clinton takes the election because I think Trump will alienate too many people. He won't get the women's vote or many of the immigrant votes. I'm sure by the time the election happens, there will be another few segments of the population he will have insulted that will vote Democrat.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Banned

The candidates are like reminders of the Sportsnet crew. You're sitting there asking yourself, is this really the best there is?

I would agree that Clinton likely has this in the bag, but every Trump article I read has a lot of Trump defenders rallying away in the comments sections. Just strange stuff.

Dobber Sports Master

My favourite conspiracy right now is that Trump is actually just running to tank the Republican bid and hand the presidency to his friend, Hilary.

Let's not forget, the Clintons were at Trump's last wedding!
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I could be mistaken, but wasn't there a big belief that Bush had no shot at winning his second term before that election? And we all know what happened there.

I think Clinton takes the election because I think Trump will alienate too many people. He won't get the women's vote or many of the immigrant votes. I'm sure by the time the election happens, there will be another few segments of the population he will have insulted that will vote Democrat.
    No, not at all. The immediate post-9/11 period was a very low ebb for the Democratic Party. There wasn't a lot of eagerness within the party to go mano-a-mano with the Bush Administration or the GOP. Remember, the Bush Administration was able to steamroll the Patriot Act and the authorization of the Iraq invasion through Congress. The Dems ended up running Kerry, who was a singularly uncharismatic candidate and was defeated about as easily as Reagan defeated Mondale.

At that point, it had not yet sunk in what a debacle the Iraq War was and would turn out to be. That and Lehman Bros. would come later in Bush's 2nd term.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Veteran

I've been on the trump for Clinton conspiracy theory almost since this circus started. I have intelligent friends on both sides, trump does not only have stupid people for him. I think we see trump and sanders doing well because people are fed up with the establishment and the bickering and polititions only caring about getting reelected and not what is good for the people.

I agree with others that the 2 sides are polarizing, but I will also add they just pander to the big money backing them and what that money wants.

I know I'm in a red state so to try to make my vote count I'm going to try to give a 3rd party some prominence, my wife also. I will be voting libertarian and my wife Green Party.

I also think trump is kinda smart and said crazy things because he knew he could get all the media exposure. The media got him the nomination and he played them.

Dobber Sports All-Star

As ridiculous as Trump is as a Presidential candidate, I must admit that Hillary falls well short of what I consider Presidential material. I get uncomfortable every time she opens her mouth. She is simply and utterly an unlikable human being. No charisma whatsoever. That said, she would still be a much better President that Trump.

A trump Presidency would likely result in disastrous state of affairs for both America and the rest of the world.

His ascendancy is not unlike that of a cult leader. Here is a link to an article on the psychological traits of cult leaders:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...s-cult-leaders

I thought it was Trumps biography...
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry