Thread: My MacKinnon for Hedman, Nichushkin, M.Reilly, 29th overall

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default My MacKinnon for Hedman, Nichushkin, M.Reilly, 29th overall

16 team keeper league H2H
    G, A, STP, +-, TOI, SOG, H+B (one stat), WINS, GAA, SV%, SO, SAVES

4 C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 2G, 8 reserves

So it is my MacKinnon for his Hedman, Nichushkin, M.Reilly & 29th overall. Centres do not have extra value in this league.

My team is a full overhaul and will not be competing for 2-3 years. I think this might be worth my while. Thoughts? All I have is prospects! Lol We can only keep 15 prospects and I am pretty full there.plus I have pick 5 & 9 in the draft.

C: T.Johnson, A. Lee, Reinhart, Hudler, Wennberg
    RW: MacKinnon, Fasching, Jurco, basically nobody lol
    LW: Duclair, Baertschi, Lowry, Killorn
    D: Ghost, Severson, Tryamkin, Stone, Schenn
    G: Howard, Miller, Reimer

FARM: Barzal, Boeser, Fiala, Buchnevich, Zacha, Konecny, Rychel, Tuch, Demko, Korpisalo, Husso,

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: My MacKinnon for Hedman, Nichushkin, M.Reilly, 29th overall

Oufff, that's a solid offer considering your team (you need to revamp that D). I would typically avoid dealing MacKinnon, especially since he is your best player at the moment, but you are getting 2 d-men that can be 50-pt guys for you as well as the wildcard in Nichu. That 29th overall is a toss-in so a non-factor IMO.

You have some great offensive potential in your farm to fill in that void, but I don't know if you should be moving MacK; even if the return is good for you. I would much rather keep MacK and trade away vets such as Hudler, Killorn, Howard, Miller, and even Johnson for young players rather than moving a promising talent in MacKinnon for a solid return that pays off right away in Hedman and some other promising pieces in Reilly and Nichu.

Without being judgemental here, but may I ask how you ended up with this roster? Trades to rebuild, inherited team from someone, ...?
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Pro

I don't think this is the type of deal you should pursue. I don't think you can trade MacKinnon unless you're getting elite forwards. No offense, but how do you have such a terrible roster in a 16 team league? Did you take it over from someone who butchered a roster? You're more than 2-3 years away from competing, lol.....

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thx guys :-) I took over a team a few years ago and it was pretty weak in depth and no prospects. I decided to tear it down this year as their were only about 3 really good players on
    it. Can't get anything for Hudler, Killorn, Miller, Howard (who I got off the wire), etc..... Trust me. I have tried.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by stick boy View Post
    Thx guys :-) I took over a team a few years ago and it was pretty weak in depth and no prospects. I decided to tear it down this year as their were only about 3 really good players on
    it. Can't get anything for Hudler, Killorn, Miller, Howard (who I got off the wire), etc..... Trust me. I have tried.
    Hmmm, that's what I figured... I would hold back on this trade and focus on upcoming drafts. With your roster, you should get early picks which should help you down the road. As for your D, I guess they can fill up your Hit/Block categories as you are currently doing and focus on your forwards to give you that offensive output. MacK and Ghost should be your building blocks going forward. Don't trade them for dilluded talent as your team is far from being competitve. You will need to keep the strongest players and work on surrounding them with talent from drafts and trades.

Best of luck stick boy!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I agree with Bass56, don't trade your most valuable single assets for numerous pieces, because each piece is worth less than the one, and you only have room for so many. You're going to need to take baby steps here. Keep Mac, TJ, Ghost, Duclair, let the youngsters develop a little, then re-assess.

One observation: 5 of your 12 stats are goalie, so that's the position I'd focus on first while some of your forwards are developing. I would see if you can't package a goalie prospect with Howard or Miller and get an upgrade in goal. I'd probably trade Husso before Demko.

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    C: Stamkos, Toews, DRyan, Compher, Fisher, Haula
    LW: Lucic, Tkachuk, Eriksson Ek, Connor
    RW: Radulov, Tarasenko, JWilliams, Point, Callahan
    D: Braun, Del Zotto, McNabb, CMiller, Petry, Subban, Butcher
    G: Andersen, Rinne
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

Dobber Sports Expert

Agree with posters above. Do not trade Mackinnon. Not only is he the best player in the deal, but he is only 20 years old, and should be the cornerstone of your rebuild.
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks again for all the feedback. Does it make a difference if he adds Draisatl and I give him Konecny?

So that would be Hedman, Nichushkin, Draisaitl, M.Reilly & a 29th overall pick for MacKinnon & Konecny

A lot of risk. I'm always very cautious around deals like this, many smalls for one big. The team that gives up the best player in the deal inevitably loses. Nichushkin hasn't proven anything yet - to date he's looked more like a bust than a star. Draisaitl has real potential but what happens on that team? Reilly still has a couple years to go yet, much like the other two, but it is your forward corps that needs revamping. In your forward ranks, you give up Mac and get Nichushkin & Draisaitl. It would solidify your D corps but you'd still be suffering up front. If you could swap out Reilly and the pick and swap in an established 60-pointer, I'd be more willing to deal.

Just as an aside, we have a parity draft in our league where the bottom 8 teams each get to choose an unprotected player from the 4 top finishers. I came in 2nd and could protect 4; I protected Gibson, Mrazek (goalies are key), Bergeron & Larkin, and left MacKinnon unprotected. So in essence, I chose Larkin over Mac. My point is that if you can get what you really need, don't be afraid to go for it. MacKinnon started off at a point per game pace but dropped off in the 2nd half. Can he sustain a full season or is this the best he gets with that team and coach?

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    C: Stamkos, Toews, DRyan, Compher, Fisher, Haula
    LW: Lucic, Tkachuk, Eriksson Ek, Connor
    RW: Radulov, Tarasenko, JWilliams, Point, Callahan
    D: Braun, Del Zotto, McNabb, CMiller, Petry, Subban, Butcher
    G: Andersen, Rinne
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

The Great One

Id do the deal.

You need assets right now. Lots of them.

The rebuild is still a few years away

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Id do the deal.

You need assets right now. Lots of them.

The rebuild is still a few years away
    It is tempting of course. But I think the other posters are right. Not sure I can take a chance on Nich here when Mac is my only high end asset.

I've been criticized before for dealing away elite forwards without receiving one in return. That being said, I think you are getting a good deal here, not a great one, but an acceptable one. The chances of stumbling upon a Mackinnon-like forward with the 29th pick, or Val developing into anything like that is highly unlikely, but as mentioned above, those are two quite high level defensemen, probably 2nd tier in your scoring system, but in a H2H league, they're dependable week to week. I wouldn't argue much with it, do your best in the draft and learn to lean on Johnson and hope Duclair continues to develop!
    DobberProspects Writer: Ex-Tampa Bay Lightning Prospects, Current New York Rangers Prospects @olaf1393

Dobber Sports Ace

I think the biggest thing for you to think about is when you can expect to be competitive. If it's going to be another 2-3 seasons, I would definitely hold onto MacK. He'll be on the way into his prime production, and you'll likely have gotten a number of solid prospects his age and a little younger all starting to produce at the same time.

If you're able to compete now, like maybe if you can stream the WW for your forwards, I'd take the deal. Hedman and Rielly both have room to improve next season. If Hedman can get more PP time from Stralman, and if Rielly gets a full season of the PP time he was seeing towards the end of this year, you'll see more points from them. Might net you a 50 and a 45 point defenceman both with solid peripherals, which is further above replacement levels off the WW (assuming most defencemen on the wire are around 30 points, a net loss of 35 points), than a 65 point forward (forwards on the wire are likely around 50 points, so only a loss of about 15 points).
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso