Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ISS Top 30 Final Rankings before NHL Draft

Dobber Sports Deity

Default ISS Top 30 Final Rankings before NHL Draft

I don't know why they have Matthews down as a RW but they do.

Rank Player Position Team League

1 Matthews, Auston RW Zurich ZSC SuiA
    2 Puljujarvi, Jesse RW Karpat FinE
    3 Laine, Patrik RW Tappara FinE
    4 Nylander, Alexander RW Mississauga OHL
    5 Dubois, Pierre-Luc LW Cape Breton QMJHL
    6 Tkachuk, Matthew LW London OHL
    7 Brown, Logan C Windsor OHL
    8 Chychrun, Jakob LD Sarnia OHL
    9 Jost, Tyson RW Penticton BCHL
    10 Sergachev, Mikhail RD Windsor OHL
    11 Juolevi, Olli LD London OHL
    12 Keller, Clayton C USA Under-18 NTDP USHL
    13 McLeod, Michael C Mississauga OHL
    14 Jones, Max LW London OHL
    15 Rubtsov, German C Russia MHL 98 RusJr
    16 Bean, Jake LD Calgary WHL
    17 Bellows, Kieffer C USA Under-18 NTDP USHL
    18 Kunin, Luke RW Wisconsin BigTen
    19 Fabbro, Dante RD Penticton BCHL
    20 Howden, Brett LW Moose Jaw WHL
    21 Gauthier, Julien RW Val-d'Or QMJHL
    22 Tufte, Riley LW Blaine MN-HS
    23 McAvoy, Charles RD Boston University H.E.
    24 Thompson, Tage C Connecticut H.E.
    25 Stanley, Logan LD Windsor OHL
    26 Derincat, Alexander C Erie OHL
    27 Katchouk, Boris LW S.S. Marie OHL
    28 Raddysh, Taylor RW Erie OHL
    29 Moverare, Jacob LD HV71 SweJE
    30 Laberge, Pascal C Victoriaville QMJHL

This month’s release outlines an unchanged pattern in the top three rankings of the ISS Top 30. With one more final release to go, Auston Matthews, Jesse Puljujarvi and Patrik Laine are locked into their respective top three rankings for May. Dante Fabbro is the biggest mover, jumping drastically into #19 based upon an outstanding showing at the 2016 World Under-18 Championship.

"He stood out and was well liked by our scouts at the World U18’s,” says ISS Hockey Director of Scouting Dennis MacInnis. “Fabbro showed patience and composure with the puck in all situations. He has the ability to create offence from anywhere on the ice.”
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: ISS Top 30 Final Rankings before NHL Draft

Where was Fabbro ranked in the last list? Everything I've seen has had him in the 12-20 range through drafts. 19th was not a surprise but it caught my eye that he "jumped drastically".

Max Jones @ 14...He was ranked top 5 heading into the year but his play was lack luster this year. He does have an NHL body but I don't see him as much more than a 3rd liner...this is pretty high for him.
    Nylander @ 4 & Brown @ 7 are a tad high but they are at least still in those ranking regions. Tkachuk & Dubois should both still be above Nylander.
    Stanley @ 25...glad to see him crack into the top 30

No more love for Cliff Pu .

Dobber Sports Deity

I don't think he was even in their top 30 last month.

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...for-April-2016

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

No he wasn't and I was shocked about that when I went back and looked at April's rankings.

Dobber Sports Deity

Some write-ups about the risers and fallers from this month as well.

RISERS & FALLERS

ISS Hockey "Risers & Fallers", a look at players that rise and descend within our Monthly Release of ISS Hockey's Rankings for the 2016 NHL Draft.

RISING
    Tyson Jost (Penticton, BCHL)
    Dynamic offensive talent that creates a lot of his offense with hard work and skating ability - very impressive U18 performance with 15 points breaking Connor McDavid record.

Dante Fabbro (Penticton, BCHL)
    He logs a lot of minutes for his team and was relied on in every situation. He is a smooth skating mobile defender with good vision and rarely panics or turns the puck over. Always under control and made very few mistakes.

Jacob Moverare (HV71, SweJE)
    Big strong defender that can be very hard to play against when he is on his game. He logs a lot of minutes for his team and was relied on in every situation. Not flashy but effective and made good crisp outlets.

Dennis Cholowski (Chilliwack, BCHL)
    Controls the puck very well when receiving passes. Quarterbacks PP. Has been outstanding during BCHL playoffs - Will only get better with time.

Beck Malenstyn (Calgary, WHL)
    Real honest player who works his tail off every night - projects to be a bottom 6 forward at the pro level that will chip in offensively and provide leadership and energy. You win with players like this.

FALLING
    Chad Krys (NTDP USA U18, USHL)
    Small defender with great wheels. Good shot, doesn't always get through from the point. Average creativity and instincts. Needs to get stronger. Defensive game is good but needs to improve. Committed to BU. He should be a very good college player.

Otto Makinen (Tappara, FinJrA)
    Good size forward who competes and plays a 200 foot game. He has a lot of assets but didn't have much impact in these U18 championships. He has yet to show that he can play at a high level consistently.

Cameron Morrison (Youngstown, USHL)
    Disappointing performance at the Worlds. Expected more. He didn't stand out in many shifts, had to look for him. He looked slow and undecided. He's a big body player with some offensive skills.

Vojtech Budik (Prince Albert, WHL)
    Big guy who moves ok - Has a long reach which helps him defensively - strong on his skates but doesn't make you pay physically - Gets beat with speed wide.

Dobber Sports Stud

this is what ISS had to say about fabbro last month. this would explain why he wasn't in their top 30.

FALLING
    Dante Fabbro (Penticton, BCHL)
    Just hasn't developed as expected - Remember a very similar player last year. Smooth skating defenseman was inconsistent during playoffs.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Nylander @ 4 & Brown @ 7 are a tad high but they are at least still in those ranking regions. Tkachuk & Dubois should both still be above Nylander.
    I was going to comment about this as well. Golden is right, I can't see how Nylander would be in front of Tkachuk or Dubois. I doubt an NHL team would draft him ahead of those 2 but I guess we will see.

As for Laine, I was under the impression that he was the concensus number 2... how is he at 3 now? Did I miss something?
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Expert

I find that the ISS usually differs a bit from other sources. But the problem is that Laine and Pul are two different style hockey players. Laine's playoff MVP and playoff performance I think overshadow just how good Puljujarvi was down the stretch and in the playoffs as well. He also had a strong showing at the U18s as well. He's still a very strong player and a lot of debate who exactly the right guy is.

Dobber Sports Deity

I don't know if there is such a thing as the right guy (or the wrong guys for that matter) when it comes to 2nd/3rd overall.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I don't know if there is such a thing as the right guy (or the wrong guys for that matter) when it comes to 2nd/3rd overall.
    I agree, not in this draft. I was merely making that point from WPG's perspective even though will most likely choose Laine.

Dobber Sports Giant

Hehe, tell that to the teams drafting in the number 2 spot and number 3 spot in 2008 and 2006. Doughty (2) vs Bogosian (3) in 2008 and J. Staal (2) vs Toews (3) in 2006 are good examples of teams kicking themselves for not having the pick right before or for selecting the wrong guy with the lower pick.

You are right though with your statement in general as I had to scroll down through numerous drafts to find the above examples. There was Murray (2) vs Galchenyuk (3) in the recent years, but both players have yet to fully pan out.

I would hate to have an open board at number 2 and picking the guy that doesn't pan out... Then again, these are players and so many things can happen from the day they were drafted until they make the big jump to the NHL.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    As for Laine, I was under the impression that he was the concensus number 2... how is he at 3 now? Did I miss something?
    Those who have Puljujarvi ahead of Laine, it's because they think Puljujarvi is a better 2way forward than Laine. I can understand, they are 2 very good prospects.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    Those who have Puljujarvi ahead of Laine, it's because they think Puljujarvi is a better 2way forward than Laine. I can understand, they are 2 very good prospects.
    Certain teams will have them ranked in varying orders. Some teams may even have Laine ahead of Matthews. This is simply the ISS' rankings on how they see them.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i don't know why so many people think Laine is locked as #2. they are pretty much identical in size, and puljujarvi was ranked ahead of him pretty much until the recent playoffs where laine went on fire. i guess when you combine that with media hype and i can see why people think Laine is on another tier better than Puljujarvi.

i think puljujarvi will be the better player, but whoever winnipeg picks will be in the better situation to succeed as he will have better linemates.

imo laine is the better finisher as he has the better shot, but puljujarvi is the better playmaker and will drive possession better.

can't go wrong with either one depending on your needs. i just think it's foolish to think either is a tier above the other.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Certain teams will have them ranked in varying orders. Some teams may even have Laine ahead of Matthews. This is simply the ISS' rankings on how they see them.
    I know this is simply the ISS ranking, but my point was that Puljujarvi is a more complete player than Laine. So, I could understand why some teams/scouts have Puljujarvi higher.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2