Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mock draft Central

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Mock draft Central

Quote Originally Posted by LeTrefle View Post
    I too feel MTL will draft Brown (if they can't trade up to draft Dubois...)
    I'd love the Canucks to move down to Montreal's spot if it would get them some more picks and/or prospects.
    They could use one of the three big D in this draft, so it would help there -- and if Montreal is willing to pay for the last name, they should let them.
    I know people keep saying Dubois is a great fit for Van (who needs a good C as well), and I don't follow juniors enough to disagree, but with the shape of the Nucks, I think quantity of picks might be worth pursuing.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    I'd love the Canucks to move down to Montreal's spot if it would get them some more picks and/or prospects.
    They could use one of the three big D in this draft, so it would help there -- and if Montreal is willing to pay for the last name, they should let them.
    I know people keep saying Dubois is a great fit for Van (who needs a good C as well), and I don't follow juniors enough to disagree, but with the shape of the Nucks, I think quantity of picks might be worth pursuing.
    I actually really like that idea for both teams. Maybe a third rounder or something as the difference to make it work?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I like your mock, the only thing I would say, is that I think Calgary would be looking for a bit more of a bigger body. I could see them jumping a bit for Logan Brown. Don't know if Nylander is really a fit there. I do also agree that Jost looks like a good bet for 9.
    Burkie's tie gets sweaty just thinking of Dubois dropping to 7
    DobberProspects Writer: Ex-Tampa Bay Lightning Prospects, Current New York Rangers Prospects @olaf1393

Dobber Sports Stud

1. TOR - Matthews
    2. WIN - Laine
    3. CLB - Puljujarvi

4. EDM - Pierre-Luc Dubois
    I don't the Oilers are gonna make this pick, but if they do, they'll take Dubois. I think he's passed Tkachuk for the 4th pick.

5. VAN - Matt Tkachuk
    Like the Oilers, I wouldn't be surprised if they trade down, but if they don't, Tkachuk is by far and wide the best player available here.

6. CAL - Alex Nylander
    another really good fit. they could use an elite scoring winger to go along with their dynamic 1-2 center duo.

7. ARI - Olli Juolevi
    If they don't trade up to #4 and stay at 7, I think they'll go with Juolevi. Looks like he's viewed by most as the top defenceman in the draft.

8. BUF - Jakob Chychrun
    I think the Sabres are definitely going D here. They'd take Juolevi if he's still available, but if he's not, I think they take the potential top pairing dman in Chychrun. He'll form an amazing 1-2 punch with Ristolainen. They've got a ton of young defencemen who project as mid-pairing guys, but no one besides for Risto who could be a superstar, which is the upside in Chychrun.

9. MON - Logan Brown
    you probably won't see this prediction in too many mock drafts, but this one makes loads of sense. the habs could use a future number 2 center, and they need size. brown is 6'6, and might get to 6'7. he also could score. the comparisons are to nick bjugstad, due to their size and position, but I think brown has more scoring potential. the habs are thrilled to add a huge scoring center at number 9. they could also go with Michael McLeod, but I think brown winds up as the big draft riser, not McLeod. more scoring potential, and much bigger.

10. COL - Mikhail Sergachev
    they're definitely taking a dman, and sergachev is the best of the ones remaining. he's this year's provorov. anything is possible with the dmen at the top this year, as reports are that every team has different dmen they like, so it's possible guys like dante fabbro, jake bean or Charlie mcavoy get taken before some of the big 3. in that case, i'd expect chychryn to be the big faller of the draft.

11. NJ - Jake Bean
    the previous mocks in this thread have had NJ going with a forward. I think they're going D. they're trying to transition their team from the lamoriello era to a more high tempo offense, and that can't be done without a puck moving, offensive dman. bean is a great fit for them.

12. OTT - Tyson Jost
    I think jost and McLeod are going to Ottawa and Carolina. the question is who goes where. I think the sens go with the offensive upside. they drafted the Bergeron-type center last year in colin white, this year they'll go with the offensive-minded jost.

13. CAR - Michael McLeod
    canes get their future captain in McLeod. he might not have the offensive potential of others in the draft, but he's the guy you need on your team to win. they've already got their number 1 center for the future in elias lindholm, now they get their number 2. they've got a stacked farm system on D, so they're definitely taking a forward here.

14. BOS - Charlie McAvoy
    They've got so many good forward in their system, I can't see them passing up one of mcavoy or fabbro. mcavoy has loads of potential as a top pairing dman.

15. MIN - Clayton Keller
    minny drafts a Zach parise clone around the same pick that they took parise over a decade ago. and just like with parise, keller could wind up as one of the top players from his draft year. his size causes him to fall just a little bit here.

16. DET - Dante Fabbro
    Detroit's got lots of good dmen in their system, but none of them project as a ryan mcdonagh-type, minute eating dman.

17. NAS - Kiefer Bellows
    The Preds are looking for more scoring - they get a future top line power forward.

18. PHI - Julien Gauthier
    Philly is ridiculously deep on D, but are very weak on forward prospects who can score.

19. NYI - Max Jones
    I view Jones and German Rubtsov as the two big first round wildcards - players who definitely have the talent to go high in the draft, but have major question marks. Rubtsov has the doping suspension, and Jones was just suspension for a really dirty play. The Islanders are one of those teams that like to take chances with these kinds of players. I think they go with Jones. They took their future second line center, Barzal, last year, so less of a need for Rubtsov.

20. ARI - Libor Hajek
    The Coyotes are coming into this draft looking to add defencemen, and after adding the offensive minded Juolevi earlier, they take the best shutdown defenceman in the draft.

21. CAR - Luke Kunin
    Canes are looking to improve their offense, and after adding McLeod earlier, they take one of the best scorers in the draft.

22. WIN - Logan Stanley
    I think the Jets are definitely going D with their second first rounder, since they have so many great offensive prospects, and now Laine as well. They've already got plenty of offensive defencemen already, so they go with a project in Stanley who could turn into an absolute terror for other teams to play against. Buff, Trouba, Stanley, think about they size on the back end for the Jets!

23. FLA - Rasmus Asplund
    The Panthers already have elite top six talent. They're looking for that third line sparkplug, and they get it in Asplund.

24. ANA - Tage Thompson
    The Ducks have been alternating between forwards and dmen the past few drafts, so this year they'll take a forward. Thompson's specialty is his work on the power play.

25. DAL - Carter Hart
    This is a tough one. No one knows more about getting burned by a goalie than Dallas, after they took Jack Campbell 11th overall a few years ago. But after their horrible playoff goaltending, and that being the one position where they are really weak on prospects, I think they take a chance on Hart. They could also go with Riley Tufte, who is years away but has potential to be their future second line center.

26. WAS - Brett Howden
    After another early playoff exit, the Caps are gonna draft a third line, checking center, which is a huge need for them if they're gonna succeed in the playoffs. They've got the elite scoring, and have lots of scoring prospects, but need the shutdown center that every successful playoff team has. They could also go with Will Bitten here.

The final 4 picks are in order of the teams' regular season finishes. They could change depending on how these teams fair in the last two rounds of the playoffs (although I think the finals will be St. Louis over Pittsburgh, so it would stay the same if that happens).

27. BOS - Riley Tufte
    The Bruins have tons of offensive prospects who are fairly close to being NHLers, and also have an embarrassment of riches on D and in net, so I think they go with Tufte, who is a long term project - a good 4 years away, but could turn into a top 6 center in the mold of Nick Bjugstad.

28. TB - German Rubtsov
    The Bolts have shown in the past that they don't have a problem taking a chance on a Russian. Rubtsov is a top 10 talent, so they'd be thrilled to get him this late in the first round. This also fits a team need since if I had to nitpick through Tampa's awesome prospect cupboard, they're a bit weak on centers.

29. TOR - Alex DeBrincat
    The Leafs have been shifting towards skill over size, and with this being their second first round pick, and also since they've got another pick at 31, they can afford to take a chance on DeBrincat. Could be a home run pick, or he could be too small for the league. They'll take a goalie at 31, but won't chance DeBrincat getting taken at 30.

30. STL - Will Bitten
    Bitten is a heart and soul guy with offensive skills. He fits the mold of a St. Louis Blue perfectly.

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on my mock draft. This was a lot of fun to put together, so I think I'm gonna work on a second round as well, seeing as though there are still plenty of really good prospects yet to be taken.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on my mock draft. This was a lot of fun to put together, so I think I'm gonna work on a second round as well, seeing as though there are still plenty of really good prospects yet to be taken.
    I actually agree pretty closely with the majority of your mock draft. Dubois to me is pretty well locked in as the first forward after the big 3. The question is to who. While we know EDM wants to move the pick I can't see any team in the 6-14 range really pushing to move up. The quality of players in this draft is pretty deep and a lot of teams have been stockpiling forwards, and there's lots of D options available that teams may not find it necessary to move up and pay that premium price. It also goes two ways and how far are the Oilers willing to drop in the draft to move that #4 pick. Usually you have leverage trying to move down but the Oilers are kind of in a bad spot here in that sense. If they can't swing a deal for a Dman on draft day (or prior) then I think they have to go Juolevi/Chychrun here despite the availability of Dubois.

Also agree with your analogy on Bean, but when you look at the NJ prospect core, its probably the worst in the NHL. But their D, while not super solid, is far more advanced than their forwards in the system. Outside of Zacha and Quenneville, not a lot to like there amongst the forwards. That's the only reason I think they go Jost/Brown/Keller here. McLeod isn't really a fit with Quenneville in the system imo.

DAL & TOR are two teams who desperately need to add a goalie in this draft, preferably in the first 2 rounds. Hart was the darling of goalies heading into the draft and I still think he goes as the first one off the board but he has been passed in a few rankings by Fitzpatrick and Gustavsson. DAL is far better off taking the goalie here than adding another F or D. Desrosiers is their best bet but I think he's at best a backup in the NHL, if he makes it there.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    I actually agree pretty closely with the majority of your mock draft. Dubois to me is pretty well locked in as the first forward after the big 3. The question is to who. While we know EDM wants to move the pick I can't see any team in the 6-14 range really pushing to move up. The quality of players in this draft is pretty deep and a lot of teams have been stockpiling forwards, and there's lots of D options available that teams may not find it necessary to move up and pay that premium price. It also goes two ways and how far are the Oilers willing to drop in the draft to move that #4 pick. Usually you have leverage trying to move down but the Oilers are kind of in a bad spot here in that sense. If they can't swing a deal for a Dman on draft day (or prior) then I think they have to go Juolevi/Chychrun here despite the availability of Dubois.

Also agree with your analogy on Bean, but when you look at the NJ prospect core, its probably the worst in the NHL. But their D, while not super solid, is far more advanced than their forwards in the system. Outside of Zacha and Quenneville, not a lot to like there amongst the forwards. That's the only reason I think they go Jost/Brown/Keller here. McLeod isn't really a fit with Quenneville in the system imo.

DAL & TOR are two teams who desperately need to add a goalie in this draft, preferably in the first 2 rounds. Hart was the darling of goalies heading into the draft and I still think he goes as the first one off the board but he has been passed in a few rankings by Fitzpatrick and Gustavsson. DAL is far better off taking the goalie here than adding another F or D. Desrosiers is their best bet but I think he's at best a backup in the NHL, if he makes it there.
    i'm curious as to your thoughts on my 2nd round mock, which i'm getting ready now.
    devils D prospects are also pretty bad. I think the new management is basically starting from scratch there. they went with their top line center last year, so this year I think they go with their PP D QB.
    tough to know which teams like which goalies more. it's definitely possible that gustavsson or Fitzpatrick go first (or maybe even parsons). I think hart has the most upside, and I think dallas is going with a goalie. they could still take one of the others. and I have gustavsson going at 31 to Toronto and Fitzpatrick at 42 to Ottawa.
    even though lots of mocks have the oilers taking juolevi at 4, I don't see any way in which dubois and tkachuk don't go 4 and 5. even if it's Edmonton and Vancouver. I have them both getting really good dmen early in the 2nd round (cholowski and clague, who are both first round talents).

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I think picks #2 (Laine) & #3 (Puljujarvi) are the most sure bets at this time.

With the new ARI kid-GM... it's going to be interesting...
    Think about this, did ownership give a 26-year old the job because he's great at analytics... or is there some other card in play?
    Interviewer: "Would you have what it takes to acquire a first overall pick in an NHL entry draft with our current team pieces?"
    New Kid-GM: "Yes, definitely."
    Interviewer: [Smiles] "OK... a few more questions, but we really think you have what it takes".

OEL+ for 1st+ overall blockbuster.
    Write it in pen.
    And this isn't just a player-value kind of deal... this is a ticket-selling kind of deal - to bring Matthews in... tickets...
    [This is my shock-value way of saying that "JohnDoe will score 70pts".... I don't mean it's a lock... but I''m gonna say it with enough gusto "pen" to draw the attention I think it warrants as a serious possibility.]

I think one of the available D in the 4-8 range glimmers in the eyes of the Oilers.
    They MUST get a D in the summer... the UFA world is bare... they either trade the #4 or draft with it.
    Personally, I think they'll settle on one of the D kids and straight draft-them.
    I think everybody at #5-#15 is pretty happy with the crop there to choose from.
    I can't see the Oilers drafting a forward... that's the only thing I can't envision happening.
    I don't understand this logic at all. It's a total short term move to assume that Matthews will drive ticket sales. There's not even a guarantee he can drive ticket sales. It's just a big plus for marketing purposes to have an Arizonan born star.

But you know what's going to drive ticket sales far more than Matthews? A stable winning team. And trading for Matthews absolutely does not do that. The minute OEL leaves that team, they kill any long term chances of success because they are HELLA weak at defense.

I am totally looking forward to the draft just coming so all this dumb "Arizona trade for #1" talk will just finally die.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Stud

Here is my 2nd round mock draft:

31. TOR – Filip Gustavsson
    32. EDM – Dennis Cholowski
    33. VAN – Kyle Clague
    34. CLB – Pascal Laberge
    35. CAL – Vitali Abramov
    36. WIN – Samuel Girard
    37. ARI – Boris Katchouk
    38. BUF – Sam Steel
    39. MON – Carl Grundstrom
    40. COL – Taylor Raddysh
    41. NJ – Adam Mascherin
    42. OTT – Evan Fitzpatrick
    43. CAR – Nathan Bastian
    44. TB – Jacob Moverare
    45. MON – Dillon Dube
    46. DET – Tyler Benson
    47. NAS – Lucas Johansen
    48. PHI – Jordan Kyrou
    49. BOS – Markus Niemelainen
    50. CAR – Cam Dineen
    51. LA – Chad Krys
    52. PHI – Noah Gregor
    53. CAL – Victor Mete
    54. PIT - Jonathan Dahlen
    55. CAL – Simon Stransky
    56. TOR – Adam Fox
    57. SJ – Tyler Parsons
    58. TB – Andrew Peeke
    59. PIT – Cliff Pu
    60. STL – Michael Mattson

Let's hear your thoughts!

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I actually really like that idea for both teams. Maybe a third rounder or something as the difference to make it work?
    That's not likely enough. Past precedent for those types of trades usually have it as a little more expensive. It's also pretty rare for teams in the top to move around much.

In 2008 the Isles traded back from 5 to 7 for a 2009 second and 2008 third from the Leafs. Then they moved back from 7th to 9th for a 2008 second from the Preds.
    In 2007 the Sharks moved up to 9th for 13th overall pick plus a 2007 2nd rounder and a 2008 third rounder.
    In 2005 the Sharks moved up to 8th for the 12th and a 2005 second and seventh round selections.
    In 2004 the Hurricanes moved up to 4th for the 8th overall plus a 2004 second round pick.

In the Cap era first round picks seem to hold a little more value in recent years as well.

So I'd imagine it would take a 2nd at the very least, probably closer to a 2nd, 3rd and maybe a little more.
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Expert

Interesting Round 2 mock there Forsberg. I'm not going to pretend like I know every single guy here because I don't but some things that jump out to me. You may see an OHL bias but that's what I know most about.

Cliff Pu @ 59...will likely go much higher and I'd say is highly likely to be in the 31-36 range. Lots of scouts feel he could go first round. Won't be a scoring darling but plays a game coveted by many teams.

Bastien @ 43
    ...probably will slip a bit and could even slip out of round 2 completely. Raw project but he has skill and great size. If he sticks in round 2, I think he's at the end of the round

Steel @ 38
    ...could slip because of his size but I love his skill...can't argue production however

Mascherin @ 41.
    ..this kid's shot is NHL-caliber. He's not a big guy but he's a bulldog on the ice and has better speed than he gets credit for from opposing D. But I do see him slipping a bit, probably to the later portion of round 2. I see a Gallagher/Marchand type player with a better shot here. Back to our NJ debate earlier and looking at the D in round 2 is why I feel NJ is better to go with one of the forwards in round 1 and then take a D in round 2...and that D, read the next comment...

Dineen @ 50
    ...this kid is an absolute diamond in the rough overshadowed by a great defensive class. Fun fact, only defensemen to finish top 2 in D-scoring in their draft year: Anthony DeAngelo, Cody Ceci, John Carlson, Ryan Murphy (meh) Ryan Ellis & Cam Dineen. Finished tied with Katchouk behind Nylander in the OHL rookie of the year voting. Solid offensive defenseman but is not out of his realm in his own end either.

Niemaleinen @ 49...Another guy who potentially could go round 1. I think he goes higher than this (but round 2 mock projections are a bit of a crapshoot).

Just a few that immediately jumped out at me.

Dobber Sports Guru

11. NJ - Jake Bean - the previous mocks in this thread have had NJ going with a forward. I think they're going D. they're trying to transition their team from the lamoriello era to a more high tempo offense, and that can't be done without a puck moving, offensive dman. bean is a great fit for them.
    I dunno about this statement. Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas -- they've got some young puck-moving D.
    Of course, teams always need blue liners. But I think it'll be best player available here -- they don't need to seek out D.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    I dunno about this statement. Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas -- they've got some young puck-moving D.
    Of course, teams always need blue liners. But I think it'll be best player available here -- they don't need to seek out D.
    Gelinas got dealt last season to Colorado.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

4. EDM - Pierre-Luc Dubois
    I don't the Oilers are gonna make this pick, but if they do, they'll take Dubois. I think he's passed Tkachuk for the 4th pick.

6. CAL - Alex Nylander
    another really good fit. they could use an elite scoring winger to go along with their dynamic 1-2 center duo.

7. ARI - Olli Juolevi
    If they don't trade up to #4 and stay at 7, I think they'll go with Juolevi. Looks like he's viewed by most as the top defenceman in the draft.

8. BUF - Jakob Chychrun
    I think the Sabres are definitely going D here. They'd take Juolevi if he's still available, but if he's not, I think they take the potential top pairing dman in Chychrun. He'll form an amazing 1-2 punch with Ristolainen. They've got a ton of young defencemen who project as mid-pairing guys, but no one besides for Risto who could be a superstar, which is the upside in Chychrun.

9. MON - Logan Brown
    you probably won't see this prediction in too many mock drafts, but this one makes loads of sense. the habs could use a future number 2 center, and they need size. brown is 6'6, and might get to 6'7. he also could score. the comparisons are to nick bjugstad, due to their size and position, but I think brown has more scoring potential. the habs are thrilled to add a huge scoring center at number 9. they could also go with Michael McLeod, but I think brown winds up as the big draft riser, not McLeod. more scoring potential, and much bigger.

11. NJ - Jake Bean
    the previous mocks in this thread have had NJ going with a forward. I think they're going D. they're trying to transition their team from the lamoriello era to a more high tempo offense, and that can't be done without a puck moving, offensive dman. bean is a great fit for them.

17. NAS - Kiefer Bellows
    The Preds are looking for more scoring - they get a future top line power forward.

25. DAL - Carter Hart
    This is a tough one. No one knows more about getting burned by a goalie than Dallas, after they took Jack Campbell 11th overall a few years ago. But after their horrible playoff goaltending, and that being the one position where they are really weak on prospects, I think they take a chance on Hart. They could also go with Riley Tufte, who is years away but has potential to be their future second line center.

29. TOR - Alex DeBrincat
    The Leafs have been shifting towards skill over size, and with this being their second first round pick, and also since they've got another pick at 31, they can afford to take a chance on DeBrincat. Could be a home run pick, or he could be too small for the league. They'll take a goalie at 31, but won't chance DeBrincat getting taken at 30.

30. STL - Will Bitten
    Bitten is a heart and soul guy with offensive skills. He fits the mold of a St. Louis Blue perfectly.
    I think you're pretty spot on with the EMD pick. They lack forward prospect depth in their system, and have a decent collection of prospect dmen. I'd expect them to trade one of their forwards (Eberle/Draisaitl/RNH/Yakupov) for help on defense and use this pick as a long term pick. I think Dubois fits with his size and play style.

Calgary and Nylander are a really nice fit. I think most people kind of assume that they'll go big and bruisy as is the typical Burke pick, but I think people will be surprised with how much more control over the team Treliving has. I don't think he'll go big just because of Burke. On the fit, the Flames are pretty desperate for a natural RW within the organization. The only natural RW that was left with the team was Hathaway and he played 14 games this season. After him they have just prospect options with Poirier (didn't take the steps he was thought capable of), Smith (a bottom 6 guy for sure but needs time in the AHL still), and Pribyl (the only guy with any real top 6 potential and he's still a mystery bag coming over from Europe). Nylander fits that need to a t, adds in some nice potential top line scoring talent (something they sorely lack in the prospect pool though not at the NHL level). Plus he was born there, his Dad played there, and he spent a decent part of his childhood there. It's a good fit pick.

If no dmen are taken by the time Arizona and Buffalo pick, I'd expect a mini run on dmen to start. Both have a pretty big need for a high end defensive prospect at the prospect level. Both Juolevi and Chychrun could be good fits for either team. Sergachev likely isn't as good a fit since he prefers the right side and both have long term, young options on the right. Though he's still a great option.

I think 9 is a good risk spot for Brown, and Montreal is a very interesting option to take him. Gally and Brown as a long term one-two punch down the middle is enticing if both can hit their stride.

New Jersey could pretty much use anything. Center seems to be the best spot for them at the prospect level (though not great). They have an absolutely desperate need for a RW prospect, so I could see them taking Jost as he sometimes slots in as a RW. Bean is a nice option to run their powerplay long term though.

Since 2000 Nashville has a crazy habit of drafting a dmen in odd years and a forward in even years, with the caveat being that this is when they have first round picks. Seriously go look at their draft history. Every first rounder they have had in an odd year (2001, 2003, 2005, 2007 etc) they have drafted a dmen. Every even year they have drafted a forward. Likely means they will draft a forward this year like you have them. Doesn't really speak to your mock much but crazy eh?

I wonder if we'll see a goalie taken in the first. I think Hart fans have cooled a little on him, and I just don't think their is a first round potential goalie this year. It's too early. I'm not one of the anti-goalie in the first people but I think Hart in the first is a stretch. I doubt we see a goalie taken until the 2nd. Though Dallas could definitely use a solid goalie prospect. For my money I think they go with a forward prospect though. Maybe Pascal Laberge. He seems like a Stars type prospect.

We don't have a ton to go off of in regards to the Leafs' drafting habits, just last year. They definitely put a premium on talent and weren't shy about size. However they also alternated from a forward to a defender with every pick last year. It might just be a coincidence but I think it likely at least shows a preference to take a defender with the Pittsburgh 1st rounder. Someone like Girard, or Moverare, or maybe even Cholowski or Johansen. Also personally I think Debrincat's skating will hold him back until the 2nd. And I'd prefer to take Bitten over him.

G - Murray, Grubauer

Dobber Sports Ace

Here is my 2nd round mock draft:

31. TOR – Filip Gustavsson
    32. EDM – Dennis Cholowski
    33. VAN – Kyle Clague
    34. CLB – Pascal Laberge
    35. CAL – Vitali Abramov
    36. WIN – Samuel Girard
    37. ARI – Boris Katchouk
    38. BUF – Sam Steel
    39. MON – Carl Grundstrom
    40. COL – Taylor Raddysh
    41. NJ – Adam Mascherin
    42. OTT – Evan Fitzpatrick
    43. CAR – Nathan Bastian
    44. TB – Jacob Moverare
    45. MON – Dillon Dube
    46. DET – Tyler Benson
    47. NAS – Lucas Johansen
    48. PHI – Jordan Kyrou
    49. BOS – Markus Niemelainen
    50. CAR – Cam Dineen
    51. LA – Chad Krys
    52. PHI – Noah Gregor
    53. CAL – Victor Mete
    54. PIT - Jonathan Dahlen
    55. CAL – Simon Stransky
    56. TOR – Adam Fox
    57. SJ – Tyler Parsons
    58. TB – Andrew Peeke
    59. PIT – Cliff Pu
    60. STL – Michael Mattson

Let's hear your thoughts!
    I like these picks a lot

G - Murray, Grubauer

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Interesting Round 2 mock there Forsberg. I'm not going to pretend like I know every single guy here because I don't but some things that jump out to me. You may see an OHL bias but that's what I know most about.

Cliff Pu @ 59...will likely go much higher and I'd say is highly likely to be in the 31-36 range. Lots of scouts feel he could go first round. Won't be a scoring darling but plays a game coveted by many teams.

Bastien @ 43
    ...probably will slip a bit and could even slip out of round 2 completely. Raw project but he has skill and great size. If he sticks in round 2, I think he's at the end of the round

Steel @ 38
    ...could slip because of his size but I love his skill...can't argue production however

Mascherin @ 41.
    ..this kid's shot is NHL-caliber. He's not a big guy but he's a bulldog on the ice and has better speed than he gets credit for from opposing D. But I do see him slipping a bit, probably to the later portion of round 2. I see a Gallagher/Marchand type player with a better shot here. Back to our NJ debate earlier and looking at the D in round 2 is why I feel NJ is better to go with one of the forwards in round 1 and then take a D in round 2...and that D, read the next comment...

Dineen @ 50
    ...this kid is an absolute diamond in the rough overshadowed by a great defensive class. Fun fact, only defensemen to finish top 2 in D-scoring in their draft year: Anthony DeAngelo, Cody Ceci, John Carlson, Ryan Murphy (meh) Ryan Ellis & Cam Dineen. Finished tied with Katchouk behind Nylander in the OHL rookie of the year voting. Solid offensive defenseman but is not out of his realm in his own end either.

Niemaleinen @ 49...Another guy who potentially could go round 1. I think he goes higher than this (but round 2 mock projections are a bit of a crapshoot).

Just a few that immediately jumped out at me.
    thanks for the comments. here are a few thoughts.
    I have bastian going to Carolina at 43. i have them taking two scoring forwards with their first round picks, and last year as well, their top forward pick was a smaller forward. i think they're going use their 2nd rounder on a power forward type player. bastian is by far and wide the best one available at that point. i have taylor raddysh going to Colorado a few picks earlier, so that might be another guy they would have been interested in.
    i'm not as high on steel as others, but like you said, can't argue production. he played himself into first round conversation, but i just think there's too much talent there for him to make it. i originally had him going to montreal a few picks later, but i swapped him with Dillon dube, since i think he's gonna go first.
    mascherin at 41 - since i have the devils going with bean in the first round, i think they're going to go for a scoring forward in the 2nd. most mocks have the devils taking clayton keller in the first round, and mascherin is a smaller version of him.
    i don't think niemelainen had a good enough season to get into the first round. i think his upside will be enough for him to go mid-2nd. as is the case with many other 2nd rounders, it's just a matter of other players being better, not a knock on him.
    pu - we'll see after the memorial cup. he's got a great chance to put himself on the map. but he's got some great prospects to climb over. keep in mind, i don't even have guys like Abramov, laberge in the first round, so tough to put pu over them.