Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Points Only: Matthews or Laine

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Points Only: Matthews or Laine

Might seem a bit obvious to some, but I'm a bit late to the party, so haven't really been paying attention too much. I very recently went from having no chance at a top pick this year, to having the best chance at first (50/50), and a very good chance at 2nd (75/25). Our league uses a weighted lottery amongst the top 4 picks to determine the top pick, I own the 2nd and 4th (extra ballot available to the winner of the consolation H2H bracket which was the original owner of the 2nd pick).

Couple reasons I ask:

1. Matthews has stated his favourite player is Toews, and that he models his game as such. So while he may be the best real-world player in the league, is he going to shape up to be a perennial mid-60's Selke candidate, whereas Laine projects to be a high profile scorer?
    2. Laine plays in arguably a better league. Matthews is tearing up the Swiss A League, but so is Cory Conacher (hell, David Rundblad was well over a point per game).

Either way, if I land the second pick, 90% sure my choice will have already been made due to the Matthews hype, but I feel like perhaps the case for 1st overall in a points only league isn't as clear? Or maybe it is, and I just need to pay closer attention :P

Thanks in advance for your opinions/thoughts!
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Points Only: Matthews or Laine

So much of the answer will be based on the team that lands that player, the makeup of the team, etc.

To be honest, I wouldn't overthink it too much. If you've got #1, take whichever player goes #1. If you've got #2, take #2.

I know that's not the greatest advice, but it's about the best I can give.

The other advice is - if you're REALLY sweating it - hope you get the 2nd pick and don't have to make the choice. But then maybe Puljujarvi will be the better sniper, tho.....

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post

2. Laine plays in arguably a better league. Matthews is tearing up the Swiss A League, but so is Cory Conacher (hell, David Rundblad was well over a point per game).
    Rundblad was playing in the SEL, a better league than the Swiss A and better than Laine's SM-Liiga. With that said, I'd say this. If you want Laine and end up with the 1st pick. Trade the pick to #2 overall. At this point, it's close to a coin toss fantasy wise.

In real hockey, Matthews will probably hold more value because he's a pure center but fantasy-wise I'd say Laine's upside is a little bit higher than Matthews.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Initiate

I don't see a lot in the Matthews-Toews comparison to be honest, Matthews has much more upside as an elite scorer. Maybe in terms of work ethic, but Matthews has an abundance of offensive flair that should see him flirt with, if not exceed, the point per game plateau on a perennial basis. Toews is a great leader and is invaluable in the playoffs and for FWs, but I don't have him in the same category as Matthews for fantasy. I haven't seen much of Laine but have heard things about his attitude, and I think the last offensive dynamo of a Finn was someone named Selanne... so it would be unlikely that he or Pulju are the next Finnish offensive dynamo. Matthews is a clear #1 for me, and for #2 I think Laine and Pulju both have very strong merits that differ, and you probably won't go wrong with either. See where the pieces fall in the NHL draft and go from there.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    Rundblad was playing in the SEL, a better league than the Swiss A and better than Laine's SM-Liiga. With that said, I'd say this. If you want Laine and end up with the 1st pick. Trade the pick to #2 overall. At this point, it's close to a coin toss fantasy wise.

In real hockey, Matthews will probably hold more value because he's a pure center but fantasy-wise I'd say Laine's upside is a little bit higher than Matthews.
    My thoughts exactly here. +1 to this.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Veteran

In points only you have to just go Mathews. If he doesn't work out as well, it happens. Now if it was goal heavy, not sure yet.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Rundblad was playing in the SEL, a better league than the Swiss A and better than Laine's SM-Liiga.
    Not to split hairs, but pretty sure Rundblad was playing in the Swiss A.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=112749

That said, thanks for the feedbacks. I guess maybe a better comparison is Datsyuk? :P

One can only hope!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I don't see a lot in the Matthews-Toews comparison to be honest, Matthews has much more upside as an elite scorer. Maybe in terms of work ethic, but Matthews has an abundance of offensive flair that should see him flirt with, if not exceed, the point per game plateau on a perennial basis. Toews is a great leader and is invaluable in the playoffs and for FWs, but I don't have him in the same category as Matthews for fantasy.
    Toews first four years: 54, 69, 68, 76
    Toews last five years: 57 (in 59 games), 48 (in 47 games), 68 (76), 66 (81), 58 (80).

Probably doesn't need to be said, but Toews was pretty amazing through his first six seasons, with a trajectory that must have had owners salivating. In hindsight, I'll take that comparison and run with it.

Again, thanks for the Coles Notes folks.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)

Roster

Dobber Sports Ace

I'd say Mathews easily here. He's not being labelled a franchise center for no reason.
    14 team h/h dynasty
    Stats, G A PTS PIM +/- PPP SHP GWG shts TOI hts/blks W sv% gaa SO
    $89 mill salary cap, cap hits
    minors- players under 60 gms, goalies under 30 gms
    3c 3lw 3rw 4d 2util 1goal
    max 23 plyr rstr, 15 minors

CENTERS Kuznetsov, Necas, Petterson, Hughes, D.Strome, Seguin, Hayes, Scheifele
    LEFTWING Gaudreau, Mantha, Forsberg, Keller
    RIGHTWING Kakko , Debrincat, Thomas, Konecny
    D-MEN Girard, Provorov, McCavoy, Dobson, Makar
    GOALIES Gibson, Shesterkin, Sorokin
    IR
    MINORS Brannstrom, Kostin, Dennisenko, Kaprizov, Tippett, Cozens, Tolvanen, Zegras, Byfield , Vessalainen, K.Miller, Kyrou, Janik, Bokk, Lundell, Heinola, Hoglander, Lundkvist

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
    Not to split hairs, but pretty sure Rundblad was playing in the Swiss A.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=112749

That said, thanks for the feedbacks. I guess maybe a better comparison is Datsyuk? :P

One can only hope!
    Ahh I thought we were talking about when Rundblad was hyped..
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Give me Matthews over Laine, too.

And stop belitteling our Swiss league A or I'll make some butthurt comments! Just because Conacher is doing great here doesn't make it a bad league. You simly need another skill set for our more open and less physical game. So Conacher's style is simply a better fit for European rinks than for the NHL.
    The Swiss league is the second best in the world and if you don't all agree I won't stop pouting!
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jankowski(C)
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson, Armia
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Stanley, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

And stop belitteling our Swiss league A or I'll make some butthurt comments!
    Fair enough, and to be fair, both Conacher and Rundblad had their fair share of hype. For whatever reasons, depth, pressure, just didn't pan out. I've been to a game in Lausanne (and one in Prague, different league obvs but similar size/energy), and the energy level is way better than most NHL games I've been to.
    Ice Cap

Roster

Dobber Sports Apprentice

No offense taken at all.
    I've attended games of both leagues and am completely aware that the Swiss league can't really compete with the NHL when it comes to skill and game speed - and jerseys for what it's worth: ours are covered with ads which is a disgrace as I'm sure you've noticed in Lausanne....
    But you're right: the atmosphere quite often is above NHL standard despite smaller arenas, constant fan chants etc. I remember that I had to chuckle at my first NHL game when it said "Make some noise" on the cubicle. No need for this here
    All in all just two different hockey cultures...
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jankowski(C)
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson, Armia
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Stanley, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    Give me Matthews over Laine, too.

And stop belitteling our Swiss league A or I'll make some butthurt comments! Just because Conacher is doing great here doesn't make it a bad league. You simly need another skill set for our more open and less physical game. So Conacher's style is simply a better fit for European rinks than for the NHL.
    The Swiss league is the second best in the world and if you don't all agree I won't stop pouting!
    lol, made me laugh out loud (oh wait, I already lol'd)

Put me in the Matthews over Laine camp, but mostly because I see Laine as more of a goal scorer with that shot/release of his. I see Matthews getting more assists than goals, so easy choice for me. On another note, as an Oilers fan, I am hoping that they are able to grab Laine - I'm so high on his NHL potential.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'd take Matthews if you have the first pick. He'll be the more valuable commodity.

If you don't believe in Matthews, that's fine, then trade down with someone who does. That first pick is going to be valuable because there will be managers salivating over Matthews, rightly or wrongly.

RETIRED