Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Keith hit on Coyle

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Keith hit on Coyle

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Don't you think that if 10 games in the regular season is ok then it should be 10 games now? Of course the reality is likely different but would you agree that they should be weighted equally?
    Exactly. The penalty should fit the crime, no matter when it is during the season.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

In-person hearing means at least 6 games. I think this justifies 10 games, but the NHL Dept of player safety has shown itself more and more of a weenie in cases involving legit stars, probably due to pressures from GMs and owners, who care far less about the actual safety of the group of players and far more about having their all-stars on the ice, unless the players hurt are also all-stars.. But it's so rare you see an all-star to all-star dirty play like this (other than the Keith elbow to D. Sedin). I would give Keith 10 games without blinking. Though it can't officially be used for precedent due to sunset clause, his previous behaviour only helps to build the context of him being a player capable of ridiculously dangerous plays which are totally unacceptable in the game. Imagine he caught him in the eye a la Bryan Berard?... Coyle's entire career would be in danger. Ridiculous. Uncalled for. No place in the game. 10 games, min.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Pro

Don't you think that if 10 games in the regular season is ok then it should be 10 games now? Of course the reality is likely different but would you agree that they should be weighted equally?
    No, I don't. That's why I said as much in my post. I said I would be ok with 10 regular season games, I didn't say it SHOULD BE 10 regular season games. And I DEFINITELY don't think that one regular season game is equal to one playoff game. Since it is not the middle of the season, I think a suspension for the balance of the regular season is appropriate. I don't want to see the NHL playoffs significantly affected by one stupid play. If Coyle had been significantly injured, or if I were a fan of a team that has to play the Hawks in the postseason, then maybe I would feel differently. I would argue that a playoff game has the significance of 5 regular season games. If they decide to give him 5 reg season games and 1 playoff game to equal 10 regular season games, then I will be disappointed as a Hawks fan but I will understand where they are coming from. Player safety is important.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Exactly. The penalty should fit the crime, no matter when it is during the season.
    Are we really suggesting that a playoff game is equal to a regular season game?

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    No, I don't. That's why I said as much in my post. I said I would be ok with 10 regular season games, I didn't say it SHOULD BE 10 regular season games. And I DEFINITELY don't think that one regular season game is equal to one playoff game. Since it is not the middle of the season, I think a suspension for the balance of the regular season is appropriate. I don't want to see the NHL playoffs significantly affected by one stupid play. If Coyle had been significantly injured, or if I were a fan of a team that has to play the Hawks in the postseason, then maybe I would feel differently. I would argue that a playoff game has the significance of 5 regular season games. If they decide to give him 5 reg season games and 1 playoff game to equal 10 regular season games, then I will be disappointed as a Hawks fan but I will understand where they are coming from. Player safety is important.

- - - Updated - - -

Are we really suggesting that the time of season is more important than player safety?

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott AllStarMVP View Post
    Bub, Seven games here is possible but dirty hits causing severe concussions sometimes fetch 3 games. The swinging stick looked bad but it was just a cut versus causing a traumatic head injury. He'll get 5 games and 1 postseason game at the very most

This is what I see happening. The 1 playoff game is the only one that matters because Keith was probably going to sit 2 or 3 of the final 5 games anyway.

Dobber Sports Expert

Are we really suggesting that the time of season is more important than player safety?
    If the NHL actually gave a shit overall about player safety they would address:
    A) the player equipment (mainly shoulder pads and elbow pads)
    B) address this hitting from behind bullshit that goes on constantly before we run into a broken neck one of these days

The Wolverine

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I feel it should be the same and in no way should the timing affect the length of suspension. Game 1, 50 or 75 - it shouldn't matter. Make a stupid play just before the playoffs? Tough. That's the risk Keith takes when he made that intentional, reckless and dangerous play. What if he made it on the last game of the regular season? What would you suggest the length of suspension?

Dobber Sports Pro

Duncan Keith makes his choices on the ice and the choices he makes are simply dirty plays with little to no regard to the safety of his opponents. Are some of his actions "retaliatory"? Sure, but he makes his choices to retaliate in a way that goes above and beyond what is considered legal. He makes those choices and because he makes those choices to retaliate in a way that is classless is what makes him a dirty player in my eyes. He makes the choice to be the dirty player by his actions on the ice.
    Can we just delete every post other than this, lock the thread, and call it a day?

It's laughable to me that people are saying Duncan Keith isn't a dirty player. He's deliberately hit someone in the face with his hockey stick multiple times. He's thrown head-hunting elbows away from the play. All of those instances with intent to injure. And those are just the main ones that he's been busted for. I don't care if it "doesn't always happen in his day-to-day game". Give me break. Show some respect for your peers and stop swinging your stick at their heads.

Dobber Sports Master

Yes I feel it should be the same and in no way should the timing affect the length of suspension. Game 1, 50 or 75 - it shouldn't matter. Make a stupid play just before the playoffs? Tough. That's the risk Keith takes when he made that intentional, reckless and dangerous play. What if he made it on the last game of the regular season? What would you suggest the length of suspension?
    I completely agree and if the Hawks are eliminated early, suspension carries on into regular season. Enough of this sissy approach to playoff games. Games are games.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Deity

We all know he's going to get suspended and we can all pretty much guess he wont miss much time in the playoffs (maybe a game or two tops). The NHL won't risk the Blackhawks run into the playoffs because of this even though, if they truly practiced what they preached, they would give him a healthy suspension.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    I completely agree and if the Hawks are eliminated early, suspension carries on into regular season. Enough of this sissy approach to playoff games. Games are games.
    The NHL is selling a product. If Duncan Keith sits out 5 playoff games, then the quality of the product they are selling (the first 5 games of that playoff series) suffers significantly. You are looking at this from a point of view where player safety and proving a point are of utmost importance. That is admirable, but if you think that is the point of view that the NHL currently is or ever will be looking at it from, I have a bridge to sell you. They are going to look at it from the point of view of "what is the best business decision in order to appease those who are upset while still maximizing the quality of the product we are selling and thus the revenue we will make from it." I think the likelihood of Keith being suspended for 5 playoff games is slim to none. But crazier things have happened I guess.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    This is coming from another Hawks fan, so take it as you will, but I'll back up Daydream here and state that Keith is not a dirty player. I've watched a lot of Keith's games over the years and his game day in and day out is not that of a dirty player. He's not Chris Pronger or Scott Stevens. He's certainly not Matt Cooke or Raffi Torres. Keith has a bad temper and he has let it get away from him at times -- always when he's been provoked by a preceding dirty or aggressive play. It doesn't make what he does right. Far from it -- it's the most frustrating part about him. But he's not out there throwing cheap shots on the regular.
    If a player is dirty sometimes, then he's a dirty player. Hell, Matt Cooke was only dirty sometimes. Torres was only dirty sometimes. The "reason" he commits dirty plays doesn't matter. He's dirty.

Dobber Sports Deity

The NHL is selling a product. If Duncan Keith sits out 5 playoff games, then the quality of the product they are selling (the first 5 games of that playoff series) suffers significantly. You are looking at this from a point of view where player safety and proving a point are of utmost importance. That is admirable, but if you think that is the point of view that the NHL currently is or ever will be looking at it from, I have a bridge to sell you. They are going to look at it from the point of view of "what is the best business decision in order to appease those who are upset while still maximizing the quality of the product we are selling and thus the revenue we will make from it." I think the likelihood of Keith being suspended for 5 playoff games is slim to none. But crazier things have happened I guess.
    No offense, but I dont think the NHL wants to sell the product we just saw in this instance. That is exactly what the NHL does NOT want to promote. That was just ugly and in all honesty, embarrassing for the NHL.

The Wolverine

From my point of view, I'm not debating that the NHL may be currently operating in this way, and may continue in this fashion. My counter argument to you, when you mentioned about your preference instead,

Since it is not the middle of the season, I think a suspension for the balance of the regular season is appropriate.
    was that it should not matter at all when the infraction takes place, and that playoff games should not be weighted more than regular season games.

I don't want to see the NHL playoffs significantly affected by one stupid play.
    Keith should have thought of that before he deliberately swung his stick at Coyle's face.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

No way Bub, Keith won't miss a playoff game. People here are overreacting calling for more
    Bub, Seven games here is possible but dirty hits causing severe concussions sometimes fetch 3 games. The swinging stick looked bad but it was just a cut versus causing a traumatic head injury. He'll get 5 games and 1 postseason game at the very most
    See, you can't even make up your own mind about what you think it will be and you're calling people out for their predictions.

You're just a no good classic fence sitter is what you is.