Default Re: Just won draft lottery!!

1. Matthews
    2. Laine
    3. Pulju
    4-5: Dubois, Tkachuk

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    I'm new here. Who/what is the "the hope". Thanks.
    I was referring to "the hope" that a GM has that they are going to land the next superstar. Ever league seems to have a "prospect guy". That GM could offer you a fully developed version of the player you are looking at drafting. Skip the development time, the risk and the time spent in leagues other than the NHL.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Giant

I would try doing 1st and 4th for Eichel. It just happened in one of my leagues (although it was 1st, 4th, and 35th for Eichel). You may need to give a tad more but I'm sure the 2 picks will get the attention of the Eichel manager.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I would try doing 1st and 4th for Eichel. It just happened in one of my leagues (although it was 1st, 4th, and 35th for Eichel). You may need to give a tad more but I'm sure the 2 picks will get the attention of the Eichel manager.
    You don't think that's an overpayment? Most scouts/fans seem to think Matthews and Eichel are pretty comparable. I've seen cases for both players but the consensus is always that it's close.

Giving up a high-end prospect just for another 5-10 points a season seems like a bad move.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    You don't think that's an overpayment? Most scouts/fans seem to think Matthews and Eichel are pretty comparable. I've seen cases for both players but the consensus is always that it's close.

Giving up a high-end prospect just for another 5-10 points a season seems like a bad move.
    It's not just for the delta in points, it's that you've had the opportunity to look at Eichel as an NHLer for a year. That has to be worth something.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    It's not just for the delta in points, it's that you've had the opportunity to look at Eichel as an NHLer for a year. That has to be worth something.
    Is it though? I don't think that's worth anything. Fantasy is about points. I don't care if I've seen Eichel since he was 5 years old... I want my lineup to have the most points, that is how you win.

I think it's a fair bet that in most leagues, in three years Matthews+Tkachuk will be outproducing Eichel+top waiver guy (who would plug the hole otherwise filled by Tkachuk). In deep leagues, it's an absolute landslide.

In one of my leagues that I own 1st overall and 4th, Eakin is the best FA available. You'd trade my picks (Matthews+Tkachuk) for Eichel+Eakin? I commend you for your balls, but I think that's a really high-risk move.

Disclaimer: I own Eichel in this league anyway, so I couldn't even make the trade if you try to sell it to me! What I'd love to do is somehow turn the picks into McDavid, or draft Matthews and get a big return on 4th overall.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I also would definitely not trade 1 and 4 for Eichel.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    Is it though? I don't think that's worth anything. Fantasy is about points. I don't care if I've seen Eichel since he was 5 years old... I want my lineup to have the most points, that is how you win.

I think it's a fair bet that in most leagues, in three years Matthews+Tkachuk will be outproducing Eichel+top waiver guy (who would plug the hole otherwise filled by Tkachuk). In deep leagues, it's an absolute landslide.
    I believe any knowledge that you can quantify vs. an unknown is worth something. Fantasy isn't about points, it's about prognostication - points are the end, but quality prognostication is the means to that end.

You can only say that that knowledge is worth nothing if you know (not think, not believe, but know) that the one will be as quality a point producer as the other. At this point no one can claim to know that.

How much would it have been worth to the GMs who were choosing between MacK and Drouin the year that they were drafted to have seen where they would be after their first season before choosing?

Quantifiable information is always worth something when prognosticating.

RETIRED

I believe any knowledge that you can quantify vs. an unknown is worth something. Fantasy isn't about points, it's about prognostication - points are the end, but quality prognostication is the means to that end.

You can only say that that knowledge is worth nothing if you know (not think, not believe, but know) that the one will be as quality a point producer as the other. At this point no one can claim to know that.

How much would it have been worth to the GMs who were choosing between MacK and Drouin the year that they were drafted to have seen where they would be after their first season before choosing?

Quantifiable information is always worth something when prognosticating.
    Sure of course it is. But you're suggesting paying $5.00 for something worth $2.75. It's just poor asset management.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Sure of course it is. But you're suggesting paying $5.00 for something worth $2.75. It's just poor asset management.
    No, not exactly.

I would concede that how much it's actually worth is clearly debatable. I'm only contesting the notion that there's not a tangible benefit there that should be an object of consideration.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Fantasy isn't about points, it's about prognostication - points are the end, but quality prognostication is the means to that end.
    Uhhh what?

Is that MacBeth? lol Katmandoo and his legal english.. Need a dictionary every time i want to understand his take.

After a good 10 minute study session I found that I do agree that prognastication is a definite factor. My prognasticator thoughtells me that a Mathews + Tkachuk package will be worth more than Eichel in a few years.
    18 team Dynasty Head 2 Head - 25 man Roster - (Keep as many as you want)
    G A P PPA PPG HITS GWG SOG
    W SV% SHO

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBadger View Post
    Uhhh what?

Is that MacBeth? lol Katmandoo and his legal english.. Need a dictionary every time i want to understand his take.

After a good 10 minute study session I found that I do agree that prognastication is a definite factor. My prognasticator thoughtells me that a Mathews + Tkachuk package will be worth more than Eichel in a few years.
    Sorry 'bout that. If you let me know that you're on the thread beforehand, I'll make an effort to limit my responses to three-syllable words.

That work for you, bro'?

RETIRED

This is accurate although worded poorly. Sports are random. Fantasy is about good process. It doesn't always work, but it's the best chance to win. In your championship week Seguin could play 4 games, go pointless and -4. And your opponent could have Lee Stempniak, who only plays 2 games but happens to get 6 points and is +7. A results based approach says you should have traded Seguin for Stempniak. A process based approach knows that would be an idiotic trade. Good luck and bad luck happens. Fantasy sports is about determining what is the MOST LIKELY thing to happen.

No, not exactly.

I would concede that how much it's actually worth is clearly debatable. I'm only contesting the notion that there's not a tangible benefit there that should be an object of consideration.
    I think anyone contesting this notion isn't thinking properly. Knowledge is always better than the unknown. I just think your valuation of the concept is significantly misguided in this instance.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I think anyone contesting this notion isn't thinking properly. Knowledge is always better than the unknown. I just think your valuation of the concept is significantly misguided in this instance.
    I think that you should probably be directing that at rtstr rather than to me. He was the one who seemed to think that there was no benefit (if I'm understanding his position correctly).

For myself, I haven't actually made up my mind whether it's worth it or not. So how could my valuation be "misguided" if I haven't decided on that valuation? All I'm stating is that it could be worth it.

RETIRED

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I think that you should probably be directing that at rtstr rather than to me. He was the one who seemed to think that there was no benefit (if I'm understanding his position correctly).

For myself, I haven't actually made up my mind whether it's worth it or not. So how could my valuation be "misguided" if I haven't decided on that valuation? All I'm stating is that it could be worth it.
    My mistake. I thought Bass's response was yours. Withdrawn.