Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Thanks man, interesting. Could you give more detail so i can find the podcasts, names of critics perhaps?
    There's one in particular I'm thinking of that I listened to a few weeks ago. I think he was on Tim Ferris. I'll DM when I find it.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I just finished reading The Three Body Problem (Cixin Liu). Science fiction story, slow to start, and definitely a lot of science to it... but man what an excellent story. Looking forward to reading the next two in that series.

Very interesting characters and development (though I did have trouble keeping all of the names straight sometimes), but also on a whole around humanity, how it captured where we are, and the general sentiments of the species, it was fascinating.

As someone who took high-school physics, and enjoyed the spin off research projects I had on the Higgs boson, particle acceleration, dark matter, etc, there was a lot of really cool science and theory in it. Appreciating the math definitely adds a layer or two, but it would still be a very good book if you don't have all the background there anyways.

It's translated from Chinese initially, but there footnotes do a good job of covering anything culturally that would be common knowledge there.
    Three Body was enjoyable. I listened to them on audiobook and the translation issue was certainly a concern, but I was able to get over it for the most part and just enjoy the story. Some of the science side of it is definitely in the fiction side of things, but overall it was a good series that I am looking forward to seeing the Netflix version. I started watching the tv series that came out of China and while it was incredibly faithful to the books, the pacing was REALLY slow. I guess this has something to do with the licensing or something there. I think I made it about 15 episodes in before I gave up.

If you liked Book 1 then you should also really like Books 2 and 3

Dobber Sports Ninja

Will have to check The Ferryman out. I've read The Passage series and enjoyed it. Science Fiction is my favourite genre as well.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Has anyone read anything written by Randy Alcorn?

A friend recommended this author to me.
    I had never heard of this author prior.
    I wanted to see if there was any input from these parts.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Ninja

He's a Christian writer if it's the one I am thinking of. I have not.

Just finished The Game by Ken Dryden.
    This was the first audiobook I ever have done and I enjoyed the listen.

has anyone read or listened to any of Ken Drydens other books?

If so which one would you recommend?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Immortal

Might have to read the Oppenheimer book...American Prometheus.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Just finished The Game by Ken Dryden.
    This was the first audiobook I ever have done and I enjoyed the listen.

has anyone read or listened to any of Ken Drydens other books?

If so which one would you recommend?
    The Game is the only book of his I’ve read
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Thanks man, interesting. Could you give more detail so i can find the podcasts, names of critics perhaps?
    Attia is aggressive at managing risk factors like high blood pressure, cholesterol etc which is fine. He's a medical doctor so that's his wheelhouse, and it's not wrong but the aggressive part may have minimal returns i.e medicating people for borderline numbers. My fav for longetivity is David Sinclair, you can listen to his podcast on Lifespan on Spotify or Apple podcasts etc. He's a researcher and longevity research is his life's work. Really interesting stuff, heavy on the science/evidence and IMO will be the cutting edge moving forward. He has a book too I think.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I just finished reading The Three Body Problem (Cixin Liu). Science fiction story, slow to start, and definitely a lot of science to it... but man what an excellent story. Looking forward to reading the next two in that series.

Very interesting characters and development (though I did have trouble keeping all of the names straight sometimes), but also on a whole around humanity, how it captured where we are, and the general sentiments of the species, it was fascinating.

As someone who took high-school physics, and enjoyed the spin off research projects I had on the Higgs boson, particle acceleration, dark matter, etc, there was a lot of really cool science and theory in it. Appreciating the math definitely adds a layer or two, but it would still be a very good book if you don't have all the background there anyways.

It's translated from Chinese initially, but there footnotes do a good job of covering anything culturally that would be common knowledge there.
    Huge fan of the Three Body trilogy. Hard science fiction, but well worth it. Second book was my favorite, followed by the third.

Just about to start this one.

​​

Dobber Sports Ninja

Been reading a lot of older SF lately.

Highlights from the past few months were Ubik by Philip K Dick, Definitely Maybe by the Strugatsky's (better known for the excellent book Roadside picnic which was done as beloved film called Stalker), The Death of Grass by John Christopher, The Drowned World by JG Ballard, A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge and Fugue for a Darkening Island by Christopher Priest who recently passed away.

I also finally got around to reading East of Eden and it might be the greatest book I've ever read (isn't SF of course)

Dobber Sports Icon

I just finished the Narrow Road Between Desires by Patrick Rothfuss. It's a rewrite of his the Lightning Tree and is worth the read.

Dobber Sports Deity

I won't lie, I dont read much, but the wife and I are going to the DR next month and I wanted something to do on the beach during the day so I bought Doug MacLean's Draft Day after hearing a few buddies talk about it. They seemed to enjoy the behind the scenes stories at the draft table and trades and what not.

https://www.amazon.ca/Draft-Day-Hock.../dp/1982149949
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I just finished the Narrow Road Between Desires by Patrick Rothfuss. It's a rewrite of his the Lightning Tree and is worth the read.
    Double thumbs up to Rothfuss' works if you like fantasy novels. First two Kingkiller books are great.