Thread: Carey Price

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Carey Price

I have heard 3 years before this guy is the \"THE\" guy in Monty.

Does everyone agree?

I am in a league where (unfortunately)keepers have a limit of 3 years kept,and I initially considered drafting him but I am looking for someone who will be ready sooner.

Any options here that anyone can thinkn of? Where does Rask and Bernier sit? are these or are there better options?

Thanks boys and girls

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re:Carey Price

Ive posted on Price before on here and im really high up on him. I think he will be in the NHL after next season, I believe they will let Huet go after his contract is done this year and bring in Price to go with Halak. I seen Price first hand during the Calder Cup playoffs and this guy just blew me away with how composed he was at such a young age and joining a new team. I dont think any of the other goalies you mentioned are any closer then he is. Ya that 3 year deal is tough really. but i who knows maybe with Huets contract almost done if there is a suitor montreal deals him at the deadline and brings Price up early

Dobber Sports Novice

true, with the way my draft sits I can afford to trade back and get him later because you loose certain draft picks for keepers. so the lower the keeper was drafted, the lower the pick lost the following year. yada-yada.

he will most likely sit on my bench all year because I am in a position to draft kipper and lundy, kept toskala. so those 3 will play. strange league rules so unless you want the long hand as to how...well you know what I mean.

thanks, appreciate it. I think I might do this. any other suggestions welcome please and thank you.

Post edited by: Lute515, at: 2007/08/03 22:43

Dobber Sports Master

Carey Price will be an excellent goaltender in the NHL, if not a star. However, you will be extremely lucky if he is playing 40 games in the NHL 2 years from now. How many goalies can you name that played 40+ games at 21 years of age? Fleury, Pat Roy, ummmmmm.... I cant think of anyone else off the top of my head.

I\'m not saying that Price won\'t be as good as those goaltenders I mentioned. I\'m just saying the likelihood of a goaltender being able to contribute a meaningful amount of points to your fantasy team at the age of 22 is extremely unlikely.

No team wants to rush their franchise goaltender into the big leagues. It hinders their development. Take a look at Dan \"two blockers\" Blackburn. He was supposed to be the Rangers franchise goalie. He was thrown into the fire at the age of 19 and it ate him up. He never recovered his mojo. A couple of years later he retired due to injury, but I dont think he would have emerged as the star that NYR envisioned anyway.

Dobber Sports Novice

ok. here is why I ask...i want to draft a goaltender that I can keep for the next 3 years. While he may not contribute this year, I am wondering if there is a guy out there that people think will be a starter in 2008-2009. I am willing to take a chance on anyone really because, without going into it so much, i can afford to.

Dobber Sports Genius

try rask , he has the goods and with boston he has the chance of getting some ice time , maybe as early as mid season.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

I...am your father.

Lute515 wrote:
    ok. here is why I ask...i want to draft a goaltender that I can keep for the next 3 years. While he may not contribute this year, I am wondering if there is a guy out there that people think will be a starter in 2008-2009. I am willing to take a chance on anyone really because, without going into it so much, i can afford to.
    For Price, I say 2009-10 he\'ll be a starter.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ninja

smoothfun wrote:
    try rask , he has the goods and with boston he has the chance of getting some ice time , maybe as early as mid season.
    Sorry smoothfun, I have to disagree with you on this. With both Fernandez and Thomas in Boston, Rask will spend the entire year in the A. Rask was disappointing last year in the AHL. His future does look bright though.

I agree that not many 21-22 year old goalies are able to help your fantasy squad. I will suggest that not many goalies can boast the season Carey Price just had. He was instrumental (tournament MVP and Top Goalie) in helping Canada win gold at the World Juniors. He was the youngest player ever to win the AHL playoff MVP trophy (Patrick Roy won it as a teenager as well) in helping the Hamilton Bulldogs win the Calder Cup. Oh yeah and he found time to be the CHL Goalie of the Year as well. Not a bad year at all!

In your situation, I would take Price. He will likely spend the entire year in the A as well, but the way he\'s been playing lately, he may well force Montreal to give him a shot at starting next year. Worst case, you take Price and then try and peddle him to a Canadiens fan. Okay, that\'s not totally fair, there are tons of us Price believers out there as well!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Genius

he asked about another goalie who might make it to the show for 2008-2009,rask is an option and if fernandez blows it then someone will have to back up thomas,who is\'nt the 1st guy i\'d want betwen the pipes on my team.pogge is also another option but more of a long shot for next year , especially with toskla in leaf town.bernier is there as well.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Dobber wrote:
    Lute515 wrote:
    For Price, I say 2009-10 he\'ll be a starter.
    I have to disagree with Dobber on this one...

The Habs have a fairly young team and a lot of young talent. They did little to improve in the offseason in terms of signings and trades. They lost Souray and gained Hamrlik - who is a better defender but less effective on the PP. What does this mean? The Habs were in the bottom 1/3rd of the league in even strength goals for/against. Their special teams were the only reason they stayed up there in the first half of the season and when that slowed down, they dropped to competing for a playoff spot.

How does this affect Price??

Well, since they did little to improve and other teams around them made changes:
    Toronto - Blake/Toskola
    Washington - Nylnader
    Carolina - should rebound from cup hangover
    TB - added some desperately needed depth for their 2nd and 3rd lines in Hlavac and Gratton
    Florida - finally got a starting goalie after losing Luongo

Then chances are, Montreal will be a non-playoff team come Feb - which means Gainey et al may say... \"lets give our kid a chance to finish the season and trade Huet for assets\" (he is a UFA after this season). Even if they hang onto Huet for teh stretch run, chances are they let Huet go - he will be looking for a multi year deal - and Price will be the man next year. The team is being built for it.

Price will be the starter in 08-09 at the latest, but I think he will have a shot at that role come Feb/Mar of this year.

Howevre, this does mean you need to go out and grab him cause you mentioned that you are in a spot to get kipper and lundy, and toskala, I would put those 3 ahead of price - especially over the next 2 years.

Post edited by: derrickroul, at: 2007/08/05 10:09

Post edited by: derrickroul, at: 2007/08/05 10:10
    Dobberites Unite! 12 Team H2H $$ Keeper League
    C: Malkin, Krejci, Wilson, Schenn
    W: Zetterburg, D Sedin, Mueller, Horton, Benn
    D: Suter, Edler, Myers, Burns
    G: Fleury, Brodeur, S Mason, M Smith
    -- Keep 17 with salary cap

Dobber Sports Sophomore

derrickroul wrote:

Then chances are, Montreal will be a non-playoff team come Feb - which means Gainey et al may say... \"lets give our kid a chance to finish the season and trade Huet for assets\"
    Although it sounds nice, it doesn\'t quite work that way. All the Huet stuff aside, no GM is going to throw a young keeper into a starting role before he is ready. This is how you kill a top prospect. The only thing that determines when Price lands teh #1 job is Price, not anything to do with playoff spots or Huet\'s contract status. Thats just how it works.

Post edited by: Miqualle, at: 2007/08/05 10:30

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

If you saw Price dominate in the AHL playoffs and the WJC and the WHL then you would know that he is ready. He is a special player who is mature beyond his years. He is ready. He dominated each of the lower levels and his learning curve is off the scales. So, when given the chance, he will take it and his chance may be given to him as early as Feb/Mar, or as late as next year.
    Dobberites Unite! 12 Team H2H $$ Keeper League
    C: Malkin, Krejci, Wilson, Schenn
    W: Zetterburg, D Sedin, Mueller, Horton, Benn
    D: Suter, Edler, Myers, Burns
    G: Fleury, Brodeur, S Mason, M Smith
    -- Keep 17 with salary cap

Della Madonna

Hello

I would go with Price without hesitation.

this kid is the real deal.

MTL as allot of great Dmen in the system and with Carboneau, Muller, Gainey the futur of MTL is all about defence.

I dont aggree with Mr Dobber ( i think its a firts for me lol ) The media in MTL as allot of power, if Hallak and huet dont perform and the HAbs goes into a slump wich usually happen in january and it always happend and that price is having a greath season with the Bulldogs all you are going ear on TV shows, the papers and the Radio will be about Price. Gainey wont have a choise when 21273 will be screaming for Price. Price will play this year and if he performs he will stay. Media is just crazy in MTL for hockey and all you will be hearing in september is Price.

He will be full time starter 2008-2009

This is m opinion

Thanks
    MDM

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Miqualle wrote:
    derrickroul wrote:

Then chances are, Montreal will be a non-playoff team come Feb - which means Gainey et al may say... \"lets give our kid a chance to finish the season and trade Huet for assets\"
    Although it sounds nice, it doesn\'t quite work that way. All the Huet stuff aside, no GM is going to throw a young keeper into a starting role before he is ready. This is how you kill a top prospect. The only thing that determines when Price lands teh #1 job is Price, not anything to do with playoff spots or Huet\'s contract status. Thats just how it works.<br><br>Post edited by: Miqualle, at: 2007/08/05 10:30
    My take on this is somewhere between derrickroul\'s and Dobber\'s. I think Price is a great talent and would be pretty hard to \"kill\" as a prospect, a la Daigle. But to be certain they\'re not rushing him, the Habs will want to give him a full season to dominate the AHL. He\'s shown he can haldle the playoff atmosphere there, so he\'s pretty much ready for the next jump.

I expect he\'ll get spot duty as a call-up from time to time this year, with a strong shot to challenge for the starting job as early as the start of the \'08-\'09 season.

Dobber Sports Initiate

If Montreal goes by what they originally said about Price, The goalie coach \"Rollie the Goalie\" said in an interview for a bulldogs game i was watching on our local cable station in Hamilton. They want Price to play 100 games in the AHL before he will be ready for the NHL. He also went on to say that each playoff game counted as 3 or 4 games of experience. So based on that he has 68 games worth of AHL experience for the 22 playoff games and 2 regular season. I had the honour of watching him step in for the AHL playoffs and he didnt even miss a beat. I honestly see Huet being traded at the Deadline and Price being called up to take over, but thats just my opinion based on what i saw from him in the calder cup playoffs