Thread: some Sens news

Dobber Sports Pro

Default some Sens news

link

Very interesting interview with Tim Murray, Sens assistant GM, by a Binghamton beat reporter.

1) Sens have a verbal agreement with a yet unnamed RW who will come in to battle for a roster spot with Shannon, Bass, and Foligno in camp.

Comment: Murray doesn\'t say this explicitly, but given that all three players he names are on two-ways, Jesse Winchester (who\'s on a one-way) isn\'t named, and the journalist himself speculates this mystery winger could play for Binghamton, we\'re talking someone who\'d sign a two-way, so we\'re not talking Shanny, Glen Murray or Mark Parrish here. Looking at which RW UFAs who played last year are still unsigned and could conceivably sign two-way deals, we\'re left with Marty Lapointe, who was acquired at the deadline but proved underwhelming, and Brad Isbister, who was on a two-way with Carolina in 06-07, prior to the \'Nucks giving him a one-way last year. UFA RWs who didn\'t play in the NHL last year include Tony Amonte, Anson Carter, Rico Fata, Jonathan Ferland, Rob Globke, Jeff Heerema, Juraj Kolnik, Duncan Milroy, and Shane Willis (I\'ve omitted anyone I remembered signing a European contract this summer, but some of these may be already signed in Europe anyway). Given the Sens unique situation - needing a guy who, if he pans out, could be a servicable top-9 winger, but if not, will play in the AHL - my guess is we\'re talking Isbister, with Carter, Kolnik, and Milroy as other options.

2) Murray on Picard\'s chances of making the team out of camp: \"That\'s why we demanded him in the trade,\" Murray said. \"I mean, he would have to have a completely disastrous training camp for that not to be the case. And I don\'t see that happening. We like him as a player. He\'s a big kid who plays a very intelligent hockey game, and moves the puck well up to our forwards. And that was a big minus on our team last year, is we couldn\'t get the puck to our forwards quick enough to let our talent take over. And I think he helps rectify that.\"

3) Luke Richardson has a meeting with Craig Hartsburg scheduled for Wednesday, which may clarify his situation.

4) Murray insists the Sens will not send any players on one-way contracts to the minors because they do not want to pay people a full NHL\'s salary to play in the AHL. This was the reason Nycholat became expendable after the Meszaros trade (his contract turned one-way this season).

Comment: That also means Jesse Winchester, McAmmond, and Shean Donovan are guaranteed to remain on the roster.

5) Ottawa\'s opening day roster will likely be 22 players.

Comment: The opening day roster is what counts for purposes of calculating the team\'s initial cap situation. Having a roster that\'s less than 23 obviously saves you on cap.
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

Dobber Sports Pro

Default some Sens news

It\'d be interesting to see Kolnik or Carter go for a spot. Lapointe & Isbister would prove to be a boring scenario.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Pro

Default some Sens news

Sometimes I surprise even myself ...

Sens just announced signing Isbister. One-year, two-way. Upcoming camp could be his last chance at a productive season.

http://senators.nhl.com/team/app/?se...ticleid=381183
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default some Sens news

Nice predicting fzusher! I don\'t think Isbister has much of chance to make the big team out of camp, guessing he\'ll be depth waiting for an injury in Bingo.

Dobber Sports Pro

Default some Sens news

fzusher wrote:
    Sometimes I surprise even myself ...

Sens just announced signing Isbister. One-year, two-way. Upcoming camp could be his last chance at a productive season.

http://senators.nhl.com/team/app/?se...ticleid=381183

Can someone please tell me why Brad Isbister keeps getting shots at NHL teams? Seriously. Why do people keep bringing him in?
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin