Thread: Who To Protect

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Who To Protect

League in sig, top 4 get paid, $220 cap. I am pretty solidly in the money, and have a good shot to win it. Here's the rub: we have a post-season parity draft where the bottom 8 teams each get to take a player from the top 4 teams. You can only lose 2 players, and #1 can protect 3, #2 can protect 4, #3 - 5, #4 - 6. In other years, I've structured my team with expiring contracts so there's not much to choose from; I've done a little of that but it's not really feasible with all the talent I have. From this list, who would you protect, in order, in case I can protect more? Note: goalies are 30% of the stats but 13% of the players.

Bergeron, $2 salary, 3 years remaining on contract
    Kopitar, $25, 1 year
    MacKinnon, $5, 3 years
    Schwartz, $10, 1 year
    Toffoli, $3, 3 years
    Gostisbehere, $6, 1 year
    Dumba, $5, 3 years
    Larkin, $5, 5 years
    Mrazek, $5, 4 years
    Gibson, $5, 4 years

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    C: Stamkos, Toews, DRyan, Compher, Fisher, Haula
    LW: Lucic, Tkachuk, Eriksson Ek, Connor
    RW: Radulov, Tarasenko, JWilliams, Point, Callahan
    D: Braun, Del Zotto, McNabb, CMiller, Petry, Subban, Butcher
    G: Andersen, Rinne
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Who To Protect

MacKinnon, Toffoli, Larkin, Mrazek & Gibson would be my priority protections plus Bergeron since he seems to be a steal at his price. I think the other players are easily replaceable. I would protect them in that order but if you win, you would need to assess the value of a goalie over one of Toffoli or Larkin

Yeah that pretty much matches to my list, I just wanted to get some objective input. I think that if I win, I would protect Mac, Larkin & Mrazek, then Gibson, Toffoli, Bergeron. If I win, I would lose Gibson for sure, but I can't really trade him for a rental since I don't have 1st cemented and need a backup anyway. I would really like to keep Kopitar, as his price is very good, but I'd rather have more cap available if he gets taken. Someone might be enticed by Ghost's Karlsson-like numbers, which would be a decent break for me.

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

Dobber Sports Ninja

MacKinnon, Toffoli, Mrazek, Larkin, Bergeron. Tough if you finish 1st, but if you do, I'd definitely keep Mrazek over Larkin, even though I have a huge man crush on Larkin.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ace

Mackinnon, Larkin, mrazek, Gibson would be my top guys to protect.
    14 team h/h dynasty
    Stats, G A PTS PIM +/- PPP SHP GWG shts TOI hts/blks W sv% gaa SO
    $89 mill salary cap, cap hits
    minors- players under 60 gms, goalies under 30 gms
    3c 3lw 3rw 4d 2util 1goal
    max 23 plyr rstr, 15 minors

CENTERS Kuznetsov, Necas, Petterson, Hughes, D.Strome, Seguin, Hayes, Scheifele
    LEFTWING Gaudreau, Mantha, Forsberg, Keller
    RIGHTWING Kakko , Debrincat, Thomas, Konecny
    D-MEN Girard, Provorov, McCavoy, Dobson, Makar
    GOALIES Gibson, Shesterkin, Sorokin
    IR
    MINORS Brannstrom, Kostin, Dennisenko, Kaprizov, Tippett, Cozens, Tolvanen, Zegras, Byfield , Vessalainen, K.Miller, Kyrou, Janik, Bokk, Lundell, Heinola, Hoglander, Lundkvist

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Mrazek Gibson Toffoli Mackinnon Larkin.. Tough leaving Schwartz off this list, but he only has 1 year left, aswell as Gostisbehere.. You definitely have some tough decisions ahead.. Kopitar at $25 for 1 year is a definite no..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

$25 is actually pretty reasonable for Kopitar, a 70-point player. For benchmarks, Ovie is at $56, Crosby at $63 (too high), and Patrick Kane was locked in at $29, which is a bargain this year. Scarcity does play into it though. However, I would put Kopitar down the list behind the cheaper, entry-level $5 contracts. Maybe a little enticement to take the more expensive guy and not the cheap contract.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by finminer View Post
    $25 is actually pretty reasonable for Kopitar, a 70-point player. For benchmarks, Ovie is at $56, Crosby at $63 (too high), and Patrick Kane was locked in at $29, which is a bargain this year. Scarcity does play into it though. However, I would put Kopitar down the list behind the cheaper, entry-level $5 contracts. Maybe a little enticement to take the more expensive guy and not the cheap contract.

Thanks for the input, guys!
    Fair enough. Kopitar might be reasonable at 25 dollars, but everything in perspective, if your choice is Kopitar at 25 or Bergeron at 2, I don't see how you keep Kopitar. Bergeron might put up slightly less impressive numbers, but the 23 dollars you save by doing it, is over 10 percent of your cap.

Rylant

Absolutely correct. Bergeron is higher on the keeper list but because of his cheap long contract, he is very attractive to others. He is very consistent but that said, he is having one of his best statistical seasons, so I see potential for him to get taken and fall off somewhat next year.