Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Veto Justified?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Veto Justified?

Whoa... McDavid AND Jagr for... em.. Voracek?

McD is going to average 1.5pts the rest of the season... Buy your Commish some chocolates. He did you a big favour.

The Wolverine

Whether the OP didn't get enough back is not relevant. The commissioner should not review trades based on his own evaluation of those players. He should only question it if he feels something fishy is going on, and in those cases he should investigate further by asking the managers involved.

To veto a deal for this reason:

Commish feels that Jagr for vorachek is a close deal but then to add in Mcdavid it pushes the trade to not even close
    Is not acceptable IMO. I wouldn't want to be in a league where the commissioner takes that approach.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Bra View Post
    I'm a big fan of veto voting, and vote to veto pretty much every trade that directly affects me but I would never join a league that doesn't give the league members the right to vote. Whether the deal is fair or not is irrevelant, if the members do not have this basic right.
    Doesn't the right to vote in a league usually go hand in hand with integrity (I said in a league because political votes are different)? I mean, you are typically going to vote when something isn't fair because if it is, you just let it go because it's done with integrity and within the competitve nature of the said league.

Voting just to overturn a trade that affects you even if the deal is fair is not the type of league I would want to be in... Imagine if this was done in the NHL (i.e. Johansen's trade to Nashville is vetoed because the other top Western teams didn't want Nashville to get better offensively considering they had a deep defensive core and could afford to lose Jones in a fair trade...)

Voting IS a right, but in my opinion, it is also a responsibility. To me, in a hockey pool context, the responsibility aspect is to maintain the integrity and competitve nature of the league. Voting based on the sole purpose to better your team defeats this purpose IMO.

Hehe, I don't want to open the floodgates on this topic as there are already many threads about this out there, but I just needed to point out that I didn't view things the same way. Doesn't me I'm right though
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Sophomore

There is some players of value on the FA that I wanted to free a spot to add while adding Vorachek to pair with Giroux and Simmonds with Philly playing 8 games in the first 2 weeks of our fantasy playoffs where Mcdavid only plays 4 games and Jagr could rest come fantasy playoff time with his team likely secured into a playoff spot!

Guys like JT Miller, Derek Stepan, Thomas Hertl, Vrbata (pending team he is traded to), Jokinen on Florida, Burakovsky, that I could snag up to even the second half production if not better it come playoff time!

That was my thinking!
    Pork's Squad
    14 team one year H2H league
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG. W, L, GAA, SV%, SO.

C (2)- Giroux, Mackinnon, Pavelski, Mcdavid
    LW (2)- Landeskog, Erikson, Sharp, Soderberg
    RW (2)- Simmonds, Abdelkader, Jagr, Vrbata
    D (4)- Mcdonagh, Johnson, Klingberg
    Util (2)-
    G (2)- Jones, Anderson, Gibson
    IR (2)- RNH

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by pork_19 View Post
    There is some players of value on the FA that I wanted to free a spot to add while adding Vorachek to pair with Giroux and Simmonds with Philly playing 8 games in the first 2 weeks of our fantasy playoffs where Mcdavid only plays 4 games and Jagr could rest come fantasy playoff time with his team likely secured into a playoff spot!

Guys like JT Miller, Derek Stepan, Thomas Hertl, Vrbata (pending team he is traded to), Jokinen on Florida, Burakovsky, that I could snag up to even the second half production if not better it come playoff time!

That was my thinking!
    You don't need to justify it with us. You have your reasons and that's all that matters. The commish should never tell you how to manage your team. Is there any further discussion in your league about this? Is this public with the rest of the league? What about your trading partner?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Trading Partner and I have spoken about this and I have since resent the offer to include me getting Boychuk, the player he was going to drop to accept the deal
    Pork's Squad
    14 team one year H2H league
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG. W, L, GAA, SV%, SO.

C (2)- Giroux, Mackinnon, Pavelski, Mcdavid
    LW (2)- Landeskog, Erikson, Sharp, Soderberg
    RW (2)- Simmonds, Abdelkader, Jagr, Vrbata
    D (4)- Mcdonagh, Johnson, Klingberg
    Util (2)-
    G (2)- Jones, Anderson, Gibson
    IR (2)- RNH

Dobber Sports Superstar

I think that your league would be well-served to sit down and have a Come to Jesus before next season regarding the proper role of a Commissioner (which is not the same as that of a schoolmaster).

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    I think that your league would be well-served to sit down and have a Come to Jesus before next season regarding the proper role of a Commissioner (which is not the same as that of a schoolmaster).
    Hehe, I like the comparison!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by pork_19 View Post

That was my thinking!
    PORK, I like what you did there. McDavid for Vorachek is going to get looks, however, you looked into the future and made strategy move that COULD help you win it all. https://youtu.be/59RSLhdGWQM

I have traded two top ten wingers for some good yet not equal Defenders before. The manager jumped on the deal but it was a move to cripple him. he was already WAY up in games played by forwards and could not really get the most points out of those wingers, I took his best two D from him and he could not get half as many points from waiver/FA D when he replaced them. In turn it created a few points gained by myself. I have been teased about the lopsided trade but I could track the points via his team log and I out pointed him via the defenders! Nobody needs to understand why your making a trade except you.

Sorry that the commish squashed the trade offer. Good luck on it going through this time
    10 Team Yahoo Roto Keeper:Keep 6 each year
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G, 5BN

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

Keepers in Bold:

RW: Kucherov
    G: Helly

Dobber Sports Ace

He posted this in another thread about vetoes. I still have to imagine he's just posting to get a rise out of people etc...I can't imagine a league that would allow that to go on, and if it did, I can't imagine there are any trades or gms in that league.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Doesn't the right to vote in a league usually go hand in hand with integrity (I said in a league because political votes are different)? I mean, you are typically going to vote when something isn't fair because if it is, you just let it go because it's done with integrity and within the competitve nature of the said league.

Voting just to overturn a trade that affects you even if the deal is fair is not the type of league I would want to be in... Imagine if this was done in the NHL (i.e. Johansen's trade to Nashville is vetoed because the other top Western teams didn't want Nashville to get better offensively considering they had a deep defensive core and could afford to lose Jones in a fair trade...)

Voting IS a right, but in my opinion, it is also a responsibility. To me, in a hockey pool context, the responsibility aspect is to maintain the integrity and competitve nature of the league. Voting based on the sole purpose to better your team defeats this purpose IMO.

Hehe, I don't want to open the floodgates on this topic as there are already many threads about this out there, but I just needed to point out that I didn't view things the same way. Doesn't me I'm right though