Thread: The next gem between the pipes?????

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default The next gem between the pipes?????

Who is the next Gibson/Hellebuyck who has under 25 games of NHL experience??

Who should I be targeting and stashing away for a year or two?? Samsonov is too far away for me!!

All responses are appreciated and welcome!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: The next gem between the pipes?????

malcom subban

Dobber Sports Stud

if you're thinking about only the next year or two, then it's important to look at the team's current goaltending situation. a guy like Malcolm subban, imo, is not gonna be in Gibson/hellebuyck's league in two years cuz rask is ahead of him, and with that monster contract, he's not going anywhere.
    I would go after Laurent brossoit and jon gillies. brossoit is in a great position, already having plenty of ahl experience (and doing amazing there btw) and the oilers having two pretty bad goalies on their main roster. shouldn't be hard for him to steal the job when an injury occurs. he's actually already had one nhl start, at the end of last season, and was phenomenal.
    gillies is in a similar position, except he's out for the rest of the year (if I am correct) with hip surgery. but it's the same surgery that thatcher demko went through (who btw is a bit farther away than these two) and he's back playing great. Calgary also has got some very unstable goalies on their main roster, and joni ortio hasn't shown that he'll be able to steal the starter's job. the other goalie in Calgary's system is mason McDonald, and he's much farther away and also hasn't been playing as if he's the answer in net (see:world juniors).

Dobber Sports Deity

As we all know, predicting goalies is like predicting the lottery numbers before the draw. Good luck. If Samsonov is too far away for you, then so should most of the other goalies who played in the WJC.

If you are simply looking for the big names out there coming through, then consider:

Matt Murray (although most already know about him but if people are recommending Subban then his name needs to be here too)
    Jon Gillies
    Juuse Saros
    Laurent Broissot
    Matt O'Connor
    Thatcher Demko

I am not sure any of them are true "gems" per say, but all have legit paths to the NHL which is usually the hardest thing for a young goalie to overcome.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

Maybe Brossoit and Demko. Either don't have much competition in front of them and have the potential to become starters

Dobber Sports Stud

-Rinne is getting old and Saros will take over as a good goalie on a good defensive team. I think he is closer than Murray (Fleury is not even 30 yet and is solid as ever)

-the other big one is brossoit- who is behind a couple of guys with just 1 year on their contract- i dont think edmonton will sign both nilsson and talbot-- brossoit will back up one of them next year and will start stealing starts

-Gilles is behind Ramo and Ortio, and is injured this year, he will not be rushed into an NHL role next season and I think is still a ways off. Ramo and even Ortio are not terrible goaltenders- Ortio will get more opportunities before Gilles even gets his first one

-Demko is behind Markstrom- who may not be the Lundqvist 2.0 as many projected, but is still is a servicable starter and is young at 25, so barring a trade, he is a ways off.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Stud

Love Laurent Brossoit and I'd also keep track of the quick rise of Daniel Altshuller. Carolina's crease is anything but solid and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some games before the end of the year if he keeps up this play.

I'm also very high on Anthony Stolarz.