Thread: [Rumour] Seth Jones a good fit in Edmonton

Dobber Sports Master

Default [Rumour] Seth Jones a good fit in Edmonton

The guys on the TSN Quiz suggested that Seth Jones may be a good fit in Edmonton in exchange for one of the Oil's many young talented forwards (see video below). Is there anything to this possibility or were the guys on the TSN panel just throwing out long shot potential deals so that they could have something to talk about?

http://www.tsn.ca/video/the-quiz-holiday-edition~775152

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Administrator

Default Re: [Rumour] Seth Jones a good fit in Edmonton

David Poile has been pretty clear that he won't deal any of his top three defensemen but things can change.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

I think they were just slinging thoughts against the wall.

There's no doubting the Predators are looking for a good young center, and RNH would fit the bill, but as was mentioned in this thread:

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...ighlight=jones

Poile isn't looking to move any of his big three Dmen (Jones, Weber or Josi). I dont doubt Poile would trade Ryan Ellis or Ekholm but I don't think that is what the Oilers are looking for, at least not for one of their established young core pieces.

They were just spitballing but I do agree that Jones would be a good fit in Edmonton alongside Darnell Nurse for years.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    David Poile has been pretty clear that he won't deal any of his top three defensemen but things can change.
    So he won't trade josi weber and whoever the third guy is who isn't Jones

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    So he won't trade josi weber and whoever the third guy is who isn't Jones
    Poile has made it clear that his big three are Weber, Josi and Jones and isn't looking at moving any of them.

This is what Elliott Friedman was reporting on the situation:

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-t...ugent-hopkins/

Elliotte Friedman was on Calgary’s Sportsnet 960 on Monday morning.

On the Nashville Predators:

“I think they have a pretty big decision to make. They’re asking around. I think they’ve asked about Johansen. I think they asked about Matt Duchene when Duchene was available. I think they’re one of the teams that asked about Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

“What they’re being told – pretty simple. ‘Which one of your defensemen are you willing to give up?’

“They’re not willing to go into their top three – which is Shea Weber, Roman Josi, Seth Jones – but that’s what everybody wants. So I think there’s a bit of a poker game being played there.

“It’s going to be interesting because I think Nashville is good enough to win the Stanley Cup. They’re going through a tough situation of as of late. Pekka Rinne hasn’t been himself. Some of their guys have been in huge slumps. But I think they are good enough. When they get it all straightened out, I think they’re good enough to win. They know they need one more big offensive piece, but the price is high to get it. We’ll see whose opinion changes on all of this.

So a guy like Ellis may be available?

“I think that obviously if Nashville had their choice, that’s what they’d rather do. An Ellis or an Ekholm. But teams want more than that. Nashville, at this point in time, is not willing to do it. And I don’t know if they’ll ever be willing to do it, to be perfectly honest.

“I did reach out to David Poile this weekend, but he preferred not to talk, which is totally understandable. The rumors are bad enough. You don’t want to unsettle your team anymore by actually commenting on it.

“He did say something interesting last week to one of their beat reporters. He said that whenever we ask for a forward, they ask for a defenseman. So I do think that if he could do it without giving up one of the top three, he would. But if one of those other teams was interesting in that, the deal would probably be done already.”

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I believe Poile is letting the rumours stack driving Jone's value up. Don't know if all these rumours would be out there if it wasn't on the table at all for Nashville, and so far it has worked. Even for a guy with huge upside, but who still has a lot to prove on reaching it, seeing rumours that he can be traded straight up for a 30 goal, 70 point scorer like Johansen is encouraging for the seller. The same can be said, but to a little lesser extent to guys like Duchene and Nugent-Hopkins.

Dobber Sports Guru

This thread could be titled: [Rumour] Seth Jones a good fit on any of the 30 NHL franchises.

In related news: [Rumour] McDavid would be a solid top six addition for every NHL team
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Administrator

We all know this eventually ends with an Eric Staal for 1st + trade that totally flops and we get to laugh at for years to come. Staal re-signs in Carolina for 6 years at 7 million per and we all laugh at that deal too.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I think this is a great match. Then again, there have been a lot of good matches for the Oilers to get a defenseman over the last couple of years.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Nashville and Edmonton seem like a perfect match, but this deal has been rumored for at least a year or two. If it hasn't happened by now, it probably won't. But really though, it should.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Ace

In my opinion the perfect guy for Nashville to trade would be Josi. His value is higher because of the team he plays on and how they use him. If Nashville was that tight with it's D-men before drafting Jones why would they feel any different about it now? It's like in fantasy hockey - would you trade a player while their value is lower or would you wait until their value increases?

They love and prefer their D-man (over forwards) more than the Comish does and that's saying a lot! Haha!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    Nashville and Edmonton seem like a perfect match, but this deal has been rumored for at least a year or two. If it hasn't happened by now, it probably won't. But really though, it should.
    Who blinks first?

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Nehithaw View Post
    In my opinion the perfect guy for Nashville to trade would be Josi. His value is higher because of the team he plays on and how they use him. If Nashville was that tight with it's D-men before drafting Jones why would they feel any different about it now? It's like in fantasy hockey - would you trade a player while their value is lower or would you wait until their value increases?

They love and prefer their D-man (over forwards) more than the Comish does and that's saying a lot! Haha!
    Considering his cap hit, I think teams would be lining up to acquire Josi if he ever came available.