Thread: Massive Trade Made in Deep League

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Massive Trade Made in Deep League

I am looking for others thoughts on this trade that went through in my 30 team dynasty league that uses NHL AAV and NHL salary cap. We dress 4 forward lines and 6 dmen and 1 goalie each week. Players can only be added to the league during the summer's 5 round entry draft. Players are kept on your team until you trade them or they become UFAs in the NHL. Stats we use are G, A, Hits, PP/TOI, PK/TOI, Blocked Shots, Takeaways, +/-

Here is the trade that was made between a perennial bottom feeder (who's trying to make our playoffs for the first time in the last 5+ years) and the league's newest GM. The league has been in existence for 15 years.

Team B gets: Shane Doan, Jake Gardiner, Joe Colborne, Joel Ward, Jordan Staal, Linden Vey, Marek Zidlicky, Michael Keranen, Nick Holden, Pheonix Copley, Sergei Plotnikov, 2017 4th round pick

Team A gets: Alex Steen, Eric Staal, Dougie Hamilton, Brian Campbell, Derek MacKenzie

For context, here are the other players on each team's roster
    Team A roster: B Richards, M Backlund, J McClement, N Niederreiter, B Jenner, J Jagr, J Eberle, C Hodgson, B Flynn, C Franson, TJ Brodie, M Rozsival, R Stanton, Rinne, Neuvirth
    Team B roster: T Zajac, B Boyle, T Hall, N Kulemin, B Prust, B Ritchie, C McDonald, L Schenn, C Gunnarsson, M Weber, J McBain, R Diaz, M Smith, A Nilsson
    Last edited by chuckcouples; December 9, 2015 at 3:31 AM. Reason: Rosters were reversed

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Massive Trade Made in Deep League

Its tough to really comprehend values in a league that deep let alone such a massive trade.

From what I can see, Team A ended up with a lot of filler and players with fringe value while Team B ended up consolidating that filler for pieces that mostly have higher individual values, so at first glance I like the trade for Team B.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Icon

Sorry but I just noticed that I had the team rosters reversed. HockeymanG23's comment should be reversed as I changed who received each package.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Team A certainly appears to be getting the star players.
    By pure player value, this is a landslide (unbalanced trade) with Team A landing some really huge talent.
    That said, Brian Campbell is one of the most overpaid players in the league, Dougie is overpaid for what's he done this year, and Steen/E.Staal will both probably get huge contracts in next two years.

For value of stats/$$$, the only guy I like going to Team B is Nick Holden (he's like $1.6m, yes).
    Joel Ward and Jake Gardiner may be solid players too, but I don't think they represent much "value".

I don't know... if cap space isn't a major factor - than I'd say this trade is almost so unbalanced it warrants veto consideration. (I know... I opened up the can of worms).
    If cap space IS a major factor - then perhaps the only guys in this trade with positive value are Holden & Steen... I don't know.

I don't like it.
    It reeks of collusion to me... I'd venture that Team A doesn't plan to be back in the league next year. That's simply unloading too many star players for little return.
    [For context, in the newly formed WHL: Steen, E.Staal, Hamilton were recently drafted at around 128/132/113 respectively. That's 4th/5th best-round player value in a 30-team league.
    And if a team rosters 19 starters, these guys are in the top 33% of most teams players.]
    In return, there's almost no significant re-build pieces here. I'd expect at LEAST a 1st round pick for just getting Steen/Hamilton in this trade.
    Gardiner went 240th in the WHL, J.Ward went 322nd, Holden went 689th.

Personally, this is why I just advocate that leagues should allow all non-trading teams to vote on trades, publicly, with a 75% VETO enough to overturn.
    You've got 28 non-trading teams here.

If it's my league, you throw this back on the GMs, have them all vote publicly.
    If 21+ don't like the trade (that's 75%), then it gets overturned.
    [Implementing a rule like that... well... it simply allows you to AVOID making threads like this and having to sniff around for whether there may be collusion or buddy-trades or what-not.]

The Great One

I don't think it's collusion, given that this guy has been at the bottom of your league for 5+ years. I just think the guy has NO idea what he's doing. It would be interesting to see his other trades. It wouldn't surprise me if he is constantly getting bested by other GMs. My guess is that your bottom GM just doesn't have the requisite skill set to compete in your league, and he is going to continue pummeling that team into the ground. The question you need to ask yourself - at what point do you step in? If you let this go on to long, the team will be unsalvageable and nobody will take it over.

Dobber Sports Icon

The GM who has been in the bottom of the league is the guy that acquired Hamilton, Steen, E Staal, MacKenzie and Campbell. The brand new GM is the one who acquired the suitcase full of nobodies.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    The GM who has been in the bottom of the league is the guy that acquired Hamilton, Steen, E Staal, MacKenzie and Campbell. The brand new GM is the one who acquired the suitcase full of nobodies.
    Then it sounds like you have two problems instead of one lol. New guy is an even worse GM than your worst GM. Where did you find him - of the hockeyfutures board

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The brand new GM is the one who acquired the suitcase full of nobodies.
    And we don't know anything about the brand new GM.
    But you & your leaguemates probably have a feel for that guy.

I've seen this tens of times.
    I've seen it where new GM is the buddy of the commissioner... and commissioner is "team at bottom of league".
    I've seen it where new GM is a friend of "team at bottom of league".
    I've (heard of) it where new GM is convincedby PM that it is OK to gift players to another GM and split the pot.

It would be fun if you just cut to the chase.
    Where does your team stand in this league?
    Are you at top of standings?
    Are you at bottom of standings?
    Are you Team A?
    Are you Team B?
    Do you know either of Team A or Team B?
    Are you commissioner?
    Would you be negatively impacted by this trade?
    What is YOUR opinion on this trade?

I understand that you started this thread with a hope to get a "fair opinion" of the trade...
    But there's always much, much, much more to it when somebody starts a thread like this.

Give us EVERYTHING you got on this trade...
    please.

Dobber Sports Icon

Where does your team stand in this league? A perennial favorite to win the league but I have never won it
    Are you at top of standings? Top 3 currently
    Are you at bottom of standings? No
    Are you Team A? No
    Are you Team B? No
    Do you know either of Team A or Team B? I have had trade talks with Team B over the past 5 years and but have not made any deals with him because the best offer he ever made me was Linden Vey, 21st overall and a 2nd round pick for Vezina Finalist Devan Dubnyk (goalies are extremely valuable in this league). Outside of that, I don't know either of the GMs
    Are you commissioner? No but I am one of 6 teams on the Owner's Committee who's job is to maintain the integrity of the league
    Would you be negatively impacted by this trade? Not personally because even after the trade, I don't think either team has the roster to compete with my team or even win the other conference. I do think this trade hurts the long term viability of the league
    What is YOUR opinion on this trade? I think one team is trading away five loonies for 12 dimes because they want more change in their pocket

Dobber Sports Demi-God

What is YOUR opinion on this trade? I think one team is trading away five loonies for 12 dimes because they want more change in their pocket
    Good replies!
    If each team can only hold so many coins... it comes out as a lop-sided deal then... $5 vs. 50c.

I agree... I think this trade hurts the long-term viability of your league for one team to get so weak.

I offer two solutions (my last post in this thread):
    1. Do the vote thing.
    2. Ask the team (trading away the five) to PAY for his next season in advance to show his commitment to the league. If he's willing to do that, you may have to let trade stand.

Dobber Sports Genius

I like this quote and I think you're spot on.

Pengwin7 has some great thoughts for you here too, may as well run then by the committee and find out if some kind of veto/intervention or rule changes/additions are called for.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Icon

Thank you all for your input.

The trade was reversed mostly because it was made by a brand new GM in a league that has been around for 15+ years.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Team A getting Steen Staal and Hamilton would be my choice..

The deal was Vetoed?? I feel bad for the guy who has been at the bottom of the league and us finally fighting back.. I wouldn't be too happy if I was him..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..