Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mark Streit expectations upon return. Still the PPQB??

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Mark Streit expectations upon return. Still the PPQB??

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post
    O

Im not sure how much you watch of this team but trust me, 4f with 1d set up in a 1-3-1 formation has been the flyers go-to setup for a long time now and it has been very effective. The only time I've seen a different plan is for the 2nd pp.

Even with timonen and streit on the roster a few years ago they were only playing kimmo on the 1st with streit on the 2nd unit and he only got the promotion last season when kimmo wasn't able to play.

Schenn plays in the slot where Hartnell used to hang out and he's doing just fine there.

I would be absolutely blown away if they changed up the whole pp system to accommodate a 2nd D. Stranger things have happened, especially in philly, I just can't picture this being one of those things any time soon.
    Ding! ding! Nailed my concern. Now I remember the Timmo PP1 and Streit PP2 times and as a Streit owner I would have hated it. Looking ahead, I am debating moving Ryan Ellis for Streit in my keeper league. Since I am going for it, I would usually eat the loss of youth for Streit without hesitation. Now, though I am worried that Streit becomes 2nd PP option as is Ellis and all things considered, I may as well stick with the younger guy.

Still leaning towards making the move, but this Ghost show really has me worried Streit is now the 2nd option and the only PP I'm interested in in Philly is PP #1
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Ace

Flyers are looking to move Streit at the deadline if they fall out of contention or even if they are close to falling out so I would assume they will want to showcase him.

I'd be surprised if Streit is not on PP1 due to that reason, Flyers need to move that salary badly and need to get a good return if at all possible
    Champion: 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016
    12 Team Keeper League - 12F, 6D, 3G, 3 Bench (Keep 6, in Bold)
    $250 Cap (0-9 +3; 10-19 +4; >20 +5 each season)
    WW = $10

G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, GWG, SHG, W, GAA, SV%, SO - Points Based League

F: Guentzel (15), Point (11), Barzal (18), WNylander (15), Trochek (1), Eberle (1), Domi (4), Toffoli (1), TBertuzzi (1), Buchnevich (1), Tuch (1), Puljujarvi (1)

D: Theodore (17), Heiskanen (15), Pulock (7), Sanheim (1), Faulk (1), Morrissey (1)

G: Markstrom (7), Saros (15), Binnington (39), Jarry (40)

B: DeSmith (1), Lindblom (1)

IR or Out: Ghost (1), OEL (9), Teravainen (28), PMyers (1)

Dobber Sports Master

As good as ghost is and has been, over the total body of work, judging by the contract and the pedigree, Streit will get his spot back or at least will be given the opportunity to get it and I don't see him faltering too much. It is true that the Flyers like to use 4F and 1D but maybe this Ghost kid is what breaks the mould. He is definitely an upgrade over someone like Schenn.. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't at least try something that looks to be to their advantage. In the long run it could be that Ghost bumps Streit off as PPQB (depending on the future length of Streit's tenure..) but one thing is certain is that Streit will get his PP1 shot. He was scoring on the PP when Shayne Gostisbehere was pp'ing in his diapers.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm not sure what the optimal skillset is for the middle of the 1-3-1 diamond setup is but schenn hasn't hit the scoresheet a whole lot so maybetheycould try a D there too.
    I know a few D have played untraditional dmen pp roles before.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Master

As hmG23 mentioned, There is very little chance the Flyers change the entire structure of their PP just to make room for one player. It will be G on one side, Voracek on the other, Simmonds down low, whoever is the treat of the week in the middle and a dman up top. The whole thing falls apart with 2 Dmen, so that will not change. Its just too difficult to change a PP like that. The amount of time invested in creating a rhythm cannot be understated.

I think its about a 50-50 call if Gostisbehere will lose his spot. If its me running the team, I dont change a thing. I continue to let Gostisbehere run the PP D spot until it stops working. It may or may not stop working. Streit is not the future of that blueline and I am guessing there is not going to be a lot of loyalty shown to him as long as Gostisbehere is getting it done. There is a big need for him to be successful and I can see him being given a long leash.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post
    Im not sure how much you watch of this team but trust me, 4f with 1d set up in a 1-3-1 formation has been the flyers go-to setup for a long time now and it has been very effective.
    I actually watch a lot of Philly games since I've owned many Flyers players in the past, heck I owned Giroux, Voracek and Streit last year, so I understand your statement about the 1-3-1 being used for a long time. But the Flyers are currently 27th on the PP this year, granted they've had some scoring since the start of the season, but with Ghost now making things click on PP1, I just can't see them taking him off the top unit that easily. And now with a new coach in town, maybe this is the year they start changing their PP formation, I don't see using two D-men at the points being that big of an adjustment from what they're doing now.
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Dikoi View Post
    I actually watch a lot of Philly games since I've owned many Flyers players in the past, heck I owned Giroux, Voracek and Streit last year, so I understand your statement about the 1-3-1 being used for a long time. But the Flyers are currently 27th on the PP this year, granted they've had some scoring since the start of the season, but with Ghost now making things click on PP1, I just can't see them taking him off the top unit that easily. And now with a new coach in town, maybe this is the year they start changing their PP formation, I don't see using two D-men at the points being that big of an adjustment from what they're doing now.
    I wondered before how coaching changes might affect the team myself, there has been one constant though and its that Joe Mullen has been running the PP there for 8 seasons for Stevens, Laviolette, Berube, and now Hakstol and his setup is designed for G.

Over the previous 4 seasons the Flyers have been a top 5 team in PP efficiency, pretty much the same period that G has been the top dog there. Despite not doing well on the season so far it seems that the PP has improved with Ghost in the line up. I'd like to find some split stats to support that but I'm not sure where to look, can anyone help with that?

Anyway, it seems like Giroux really enjoys having another G in that spot just from watching him, and it seems like the Flyers aren't as concerned with boosting a players value lately as they are with just putting the best lineup out that they can which would explain why they don't mind having so much money on the bench and in the minors like Vinny, Amac, and at times Umby.

Got a few other thoughts but I'm late for work now good discussion though
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Demi-God

When Streit returns, I think Ghost will remain on PP1.
    Streit will probably get PP2.
    They won't play together, I think, because both are left-handed shots.
    Ghost has to be middle-point or right-side (looking in to goalie), he'd be absolutely wasted on the left side (with stick on boards).

For that reason, I think PHI stays with a 4F:1D PP unit.
    Ghost will stay on PP1, Streit to PP2, MDZ gets the boot from PP time.
    Hopefully Ghost can stay on the NHL squad for the full year... I'm not betting my bank account on that... but I have him rostered in two one-year leagues, so I'm hoping for it.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    When Streit returns, I think Ghost will remain on PP1.
    Streit will probably get PP2.
    They won't play together, I think, because both are left-handed shots.
    Ghost has to be middle-point or right-side (looking in to goalie), he'd be absolutely wasted on the left side (with stick on boards).

For that reason, I think PHI stays with a 4F:1D PP unit.
    Ghost will stay on PP1, Streit to PP2, MDZ gets the boot from PP time.
    Hopefully Ghost can stay on the NHL squad for the full year... I'm not betting my bank account on that... but I have him rostered in two one-year leagues, so I'm hoping for it.
    Was hoping you'd chime in on this P7. I honestly think they will go with two D-men on the PP and I think it will work well, I guess time will tell!
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Star

Great convo - not sure I am any closer to an answer re Streit's value but lots of good takes.

for what it is worth, I think I am gonna pull the trigger on the Ryan Ellis for Streit offer and hope for the best...

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Ace

And, judging from Ghost's TOI, he's not going to be playing a ton if he ain't getting PP minutes...particularly PP1. I've only seen snippets of 2,3 Flyers games recently, so can't speak to the overall 5-on-5 play of Ghost. But my impression is that it's a work in progress, hence his value is in his effect on the power play.

I know that's not the most in-depth breakdown, but if Ghost is on the team, he almost HAS to be on the PP1.

Streit can play regular minutes, along with PP2.

Dobber Sports Pro

I honestly see Ghost staying on PP1 and Streit moving to PP2 with MDZ and would bet on Streit moving by the deadline (he has 1 year left on his deal so not a rental plus he can QB a PP). And I agree above that if Ghost struggles when Streit comes back he'll be in the A, or if the Flyers want to showcase Streit as the deadline looms he'll be back on PP1
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Initiate

If the Flyers do move Streit, as many of you suggest may happen, what teams do you think are good landing spots for him?
    ---------
    12 team ESPN H2H
    auction draft (260 budget)
    limited keeper (4 keepers)
    2016-17 Champion, 2017-18 Runner-up
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW
    W,SO,GAA,SV%
    Start 1 LW/C/RW, 3 D, 3 Util, 2 G

C - J. Hughes
    LW - Panarin
    RW -
    D - Bouchard
    G - Levi

Packer Fan

Dobber Sports Star

So any thoughts on Ellis for Streit, which was the impetus of this thread.

Going for it this year, so pre-injury and pre-Ghost this would be a no brainer for me. Now, Im a little unsure. Streit on PP 2 pretty similar to Ellis on PP2 and is 13 years older.

Thinks its still worth doing?

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Ace

I wouldn't bother. Ellis is behind so many guys in Nashville that it's not worth moving a guy (Streit) who MAY be on a good PP1..but will almost definitely be on PP2.

Good PP defensemen can put numbers up for a long time...and that's how I see Streit, wherever he ends up