fzusher wrote:
I agree moving Gomez for Sundin would be a ******ed move on Sather\'s part, but the rumor itself - trading Gomez IF SUNDIN SIGNS - is not ******ed. What would be ******ed about such a move is signing Sundin in the first place, but that\'s no longer a rumor; it is a confirmed fact that Sather wants him, and it is a confirmed fact that if he wants him, he\'ll have to clear a big salary to fit him, which can only mean moving one of the 4 long-term pieces the Rangers looked like they were going to build around, ******ed as that would be.

Drury has a no movement clause, so they can\'t move him unless he wants to go. The Rangers are short on Ds in the system, particularly top offensive Ds who are ready (Sanguinetti and MDZ still need seasoning). By elimination, that leaves Gomez ...
I totally agree that in order to get Sundin, who wouldnt sign for a cheaper price like Shanny when he first got here, we\'d have to move a high priced guy. And Gomez is that obvious \"high price\". I just dont see the point to moving Gomez, who is in his prime, for a guy who would not be all that much better, just cheaper than Gomez. And even if they traded Gomez, then got Sundin off the books in a year or two, you know that Sather would throw ridiculous money at the next Drury who wouldnt lead them to a championship. Then he\'s right back up against the cap with some pretty hard-to-move contracts.

Btw, I only mentioned Drury because I think the Rangers would rather build around Gomez than him and he also makes a bunch of money. To me, he is more expendable than Gomez. And in my opinon, yes, he is highly overrated Bluesummers. He was great for Buffalo, but we\'re obviously not Buffalo.