Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: [Rumor] Jimmy Vesey to go UFA, then sign with Leafs?

Banned

Default Re: [Rumor] Jimmy Vesey to go UFA, then sign with Leafs?

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Corey Perry and John Tavares are irrelevant, since they've never had the opportunity to come to Toronto.

I already gave you an example that you ignored - Bozak could have signed with anyone. He chose Toronto. Over Ottawa. Because he wanted to play in a real hockey city.
    Why is Zaitsev going to sign in Toronto if no one wants to play there?
    Why did Babcock go there if he'll never have players wanting to play there?

Joseph, Belfour, Roberts, Niewendyk, Bozak, Corson, - Toronto has a long list of successful free agent signings. And a long list of unsuccessful ones - Gustavsson, Clarkson, Komisarek... but all those players were coveted at the time of their signing... and they CHOSE Toronto.

You're trying to make a point based on petty jealousy, and it's incredibly childish.
    I can understand the bitterness, Ottawa has never signed... well... anybody... and it's got to be frustrating to constantly see players wanting to go to an iconic franchise like the Leafs, regardless of how bad they often are.
    And quietly mock "franchises" like the Sens.
    What am I jealous of exactly? Stop making stuff up (saying I'm jealous when I have no reason to be), it's pretty embarrassing. I asked you about the last decade and you bring up a bunch of signings before the lockout (and a bunch of people in the twilight of their careers). That is completely irrelevant to talking about the current day Leafs who are NOT an iconic franchise who players are begging to go play for. They are currently irrelevant and have been for the last decade. If we're going down the road you just went down then I could present (which I don't want to since I'm not talking about Ottawa at all here) Kovalev, Hasek, and Gonchar as free agents Ottawa signed. Hell we even had a player leave Toronto to sign here in the last three years (Clarke MacArthur). Why oh why did he leave the iconic Leafs?

The recent signings the Leafs have made like Bozak, Gustavsson, etc. happened because they were so bad that the players had way more opportunity in the Toronto line-up than anywhere else.

As I said no Canadian teams, including Ottawa, are signing big free agents, but I can tell now that you're trolling based on the last paragraph so I'm pretty much wasting my time here (even though I won this argument pretty easily).

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I think the penguins are really the only team (not really anymore) that attract FA solely based on the team. Everyone would want to be on Chicago, but cap issues. Now players don’t go to teams based on the team, it’s more on the money when it comes to free agency.
    It's always about the money......

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    It's always about the money......
    Well, when i guess money is the same throughout each offer, and the penguins are one of them, they used to get anyone they wanted. Iggy only waived his clause to go there and only there right? Like players went to play with Crosby, and to get a chance at winning the cup. Now they don't because they aren't that powerhouse team, and the powerhouse teams don't go and try and FA their way to the finals anymore.

I'm trying to ignore the side of this thread about the Leafs and iconic status, because this thread isn't really about that.

How many FA signings has there been of a high profile player that made a team a stanley cup contender? Doesn't happen anymore really. Suter+Parise? but they aren't a cup contender with them, and that was the biggest thing a team had (maybe HAS) done in hockey.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    What am I jealous of exactly? Stop making stuff up (saying I'm jealous when I have no reason to be), it's pretty embarrassing. I asked you about the last decade and you bring up a bunch of signings before the lockout (and a bunch of people in the twilight of their careers). That is completely irrelevant to talking about the current day Leafs who are NOT an iconic franchise who players are begging to go play for. They are currently irrelevant and have been for the last decade. If we're going down the road you just went down then I could present (which I don't want to since I'm not talking about Ottawa at all here) Kovalev, Hasek, and Gonchar as free agents Ottawa signed. Hell we even had a player leave Toronto to sign here in the last three years (Clarke MacArthur). Why oh why did he leave the iconic Leafs?

The recent signings the Leafs have made like Bozak, Gustavsson, etc. happened because they were so bad that the players had way more opportunity in the Toronto line-up than anywhere else.

As I said no Canadian teams, including Ottawa, are signing big free agents, but I can tell now that you're trolling based on the last paragraph so I'm pretty much wasting my time here (even though I won this argument pretty easily).
    Just want to point out that those are terrible examples. I don't think anyone wanted Kovalev given he was already established as a floater. And I think Hasek was 100 years old and pretty much past his prime? And there weren't many teams willing to give Gonchar multiple years, and rightfully so based on his play in Ottawa.

And MacArthur left the leafs because the leafs didn't want to overpay for his services. The leafs "2nd" line of Grabo-Mac-Kulemin are all getting 4-5M longterm, do you think any of them are worth that contract?

The main point is that IF Toronto were a good team, the only major problem they would have attracting FAs is the ones that don't want to play in a huge market.

Ottawa on the other hand has one of the cheapest owners, which is pretty sad since they have the best defenseman in the league and can't afford to insulate him with more talent. You build your core through the draft, and fill in the missing pieces via trade/FA. Had the Sens been able to spend more money I'm sure they would have allocated some of it on acquiring a better top 4 D or two and they would have made the playoffs this year.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    LoL, They didn't offer MacArthur a contract. Carlyle and Nonis didn't like him. i.e. A completely meaningless point brought up by you. Again. Just like Tavares and Perry.

Toronto landed NOT best coach in hockey. He could have gone to Buffalo for more money, and better players, and CHOSE Toronto.
    You keep ignoring that.
    Anyone with eyes, and a shred of objectivity, can see that Toronto is a desirable market where people want to be.

Because they are an iconic franchise. One of a handful.
    Fixed

The Great One

^ That doesn't even make sense lol

Listen obviously Toronto is an iconic franchise. Don't be stupid.

So is Montreal, Boston, Rangers, Detroit and Chicago. Yes, the original 6 are iconic franchises. That isn't news.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    ^ That doesn't even make sense lol

Listen obviously Toronto is an iconic franchise. Don't be stupid.

So is Montreal, Boston, Rangers, Detroit and Chicago. Yes, the original 6 are iconic franchises. That isn't news.
    Read it like the person saying it is ESL. I was just keeping with the tone of the poster.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    What would you like the NHL to change the rules to? Once you draft a player you hold his NHL rights forever?

Nashville has had 4 years to sign Jimmy Vesey and they could not get a deal done. Any player who's drafted in the NHL entry draft becomes an NHL UFA after 4 years or less if they do not sign an NHL contract. Also, NHL teams already receive compensation if they don't sign a first round pick. Should teams get compensated for every draft pick that they do not sign?
    Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Yes. Yes they should.

I think there should be a rule that if a player opts to do this, then the team that was shafted should receive a first round pick from the team that eventually signs said player. Similar to a compensation pick in baseball when a top player leaves for free agency. Because it's bullshit that teams get shafted like this. Nashville makes a great selection in 2012, showing faith in Vesey and his abilities and now they get diddly squat. And it'll make teams think really long and hard about whether or not it's worth signing these players in free agency, as Justin Schultz would be a good example of how it could blow up in your face.
    I'd be in favour of this only if it works the other way. If a player wants to sign and the team won't sign him, then the player has to get compensated in some way. This would make up for the player not being able to play with another NHL team.

The teams already have enough power over players. They don't need more.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I'd be in favour of this only if it works the other way. If a player wants to sign and the team won't sign him, then the player has to get compensated in some way. This would make up for the player not being able to play with another NHL team.

The teams already have enough power over players. They don't need more.
    Such a good post.

Posters getting mad at players doing this should be the equivalent of GM's trading players with NMC.

GM's always say it's a business until it goes against them.

I don't even know if Poile is pissed off. Im sure he's not happy but I hope he can see 'it's just a business'. For all I know he's moved on.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Wow Stamkos, Matthews and now Vesey, were gonna have a stacked team next year!

Administrator

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    He's got five months to change his mind.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    He's got five months to change his mind.
    He's not Brett Favre.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

I gotta say, I don't really care about his decision to "spurn" the Predators, but this kid needs to keep his mouth shut.

Between his Player's Tribune article and the statement his "representation" released today, the kid comes off like a an ass and a dbag. I do not like him at all.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I gotta say, I don't really care about his decision to "spurn" the Predators, but this kid needs to keep his mouth shut.

Between his Player's Tribune article and the statement his "representation" released today, the kid comes off like a an ass and a dbag. I do not like him at all.
    He's from Boston, that's just their normal attitude.

Why isn't he choosing the iconic Leafs though? Even though he was way more ties to Boston and they're a much better team.